Sign in to follow this  
Mimosa

The port you would always avoid...

We talk so much about where we’d like to go and when but we all know that what we Brits really love is a good moan! So, for a bit of fun, which port would you avoid at all costs?

I'd avoid Martinque & Trinidad.  All the locals who live in Martinque seemed like they didn't want us there, very rude & abrupt.  Trinidad I'm sure is very beautiful but I didn't feel safe.  The roads were lined with Tourist Information guides telling us not to turn down certain roads as we'd get mugged :o

45 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Alexandria, step outside the dock gates and enter a world that makes you want to do an about turn and get back on the ship and along with this I would also add Dakar.

I have to agree Alexandria and Port Said gave me the creeps. I didn’t even make it to the dock gates. The traders by the ship made me so mad, they grab me by the wrist and would not let go until I became very angry. I know they have to make a living but being aggressive will not work with me.

There are very few that I would avoid entirely.  However as my wife is a wheelchair user who cannot meet the step over test, then tender ports figure low on my agenda, and since there are only so many times you can enjoy Rome, Florence and St Petersburg, then conversely Med/Baltic cruises which don't include these ports would figure at the top of my bucket list.

21 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Gibraltar.  Far too British, too small and once you've done it - you've done it.  I'm quite happy to stay on board if my ship calls there.

We once lived in Gib and are always happy to return as it has many happy memories. We have in the past taken fellow passengers of the main route and shown them many parts of Gibraltar than most tourists never see.  

21 hours ago, cruise addict said:

Jamaica and Istanbul.

I am not too keen on the cruise ship port areas in Jamaica, but we have enjoyed several resort holidays there.  We spent four days in Istanbul before a cruise and wished we had longer.  It is a fascinating city.

i will probably not do another Mexican Riviera cruise because the ports are mostly one and done for us, although Costa Maya was the only one I really disliked.

3 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

We once lived in Gib and are always happy to return as it has many happy memories. We have in the past taken fellow passengers of the main route and shown them many parts of Gibraltar than most tourists never see.  

I'm not a lover of Gib but having said that we had a two week holiday there many years ago and had a wonderful time but we did see a lot more than the town, a couple of  years ago when we docked there we spent the day on a friends boat ( he lives there ) and had a fabulous day, I suppose if all people want is the duty free then it's an ideal port but unless you get out of the town I don't think you can appreciate what it really has to offer.

10 hours ago, cruise chef said:

For me Palermo Sicily, as I was mugged here need I say any more!!

I'm the same with Lisbon so we always take an excursion when we dock there. However in February we took the shuttle bus & just wandered to the big square near the sea via the sardine shop & although I still felt a bit on edge we did have a lovely time.

For me it would be Recife in South America. There were so many warnings from the excursion staff on where not to go as it was too dangerous that I was worried the whole time we were there. Another port would be Montego Bay, Jamaica.

I loved our stop off in Jamaica as we did an excursion. They then took us to a market on the way back to the ship (wasn't advertised) and it was pretty full on, most people ended up leaving the market as soon as they walked in. It was an experience to say the least. x

Tough one this. Like others have suggested, it's difficult to pick a port I would avoid entirely as there's always something to do I guess. If I had to pick one, it would be Katakolon for me. I feel like I've exhausted it now and didn't enjoy it the first time around let alone the few times after that. It was more that it appeared on an itinerary where I liked the other ports so went for it anyway.

If I went there again, I think it would be a stay on board and chill out day or perhaps just get off for a short stroll but nothing more.

On 5/13/2018 at 6:35 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

Never felt unsafe in Montego Bay, however Kingston could be a different matter.

I don't think it's somewhere I'd be comfortable walking around personally. I did an excursion for that reason and found the locals unpleasant.

1 hour ago, Tally said:

I don't think it's somewhere I'd be comfortable walking around personally. I did an excursion for that reason and found the locals unpleasant.

Hi Tally,

I think we all have different perceptions of situations. Many places we visit on cruises have reputations for crime. Some for pick pockets, some for thefts and others for robbery and con tricks. We have to be careful where ever we go.