Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Bid for an Upgrade?

NCL are trying this ,you can bid for an upgrade ,after you have paid your fare.

Here’s how it works:

1. Name your bid to upgrade your stateroom on your upcoming cruise, then click Continue.
  2. We’ll notify you via email if your request for an upgrade has been approved.

If your offer is accepted, you’ll be charged for the upgrade. If not, you pay nothing and keep the stateroom you have.

For example passengers booked on a 7 night Med Epic sailing in a Balcony cabin have these options –

The Haven Deluxe Owner’s Suite with Large Balcony (H2) £0-£2500

The Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villa with Balcony (H4) £0-£2145

The Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony (H5) £0-£1430

The Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Balcony (H6) £0-1430

The Haven Spa Suite with Balcony (H9) £0-1430

Mini-Suite Stateroom £0-£290

Not every one will be asked to bid, but would you....Davybe

Hi Davybe,

The concept is interesting.  NCL is not a line we consider but, if others were to follow suit, I would consider bidding, if the pricing/reserve bidding was right.

DavidH

21 minutes ago, DavidH said:

Hi Davybe,

The concept is interesting.  NCL is not a line we consider but, if others were to follow suit, I would consider bidding, if the pricing/reserve bidding was right.

DavidH

I suppose it's better then playing Bingo,for a suite as we have seen on past cruises.

My Daughter had their first cruise with NCL and enjoyed it, like you we have never tried them...Davybe

5 hours ago, Bumble Bee said:

I've heard of bidding for an upgrade on airlines but never on cruises.

I've heard of this before whether or not it was NCL I don't know.

I would definitely 'bid' I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere about someone who had bid about £500 and ended up with one of the 'top suites'  what is there to lose you either get it or you don't depending on how much you are prepared to bid. 

14 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I've heard of this before whether or not it was NCL I don't know.

I would definitely 'bid' I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere about someone who had bid about £500 and ended up with one of the 'top suites'  what is there to lose you either get it or you don't depending on how much you are prepared to bid. 

We have an American friend who makes it his first task when boarding any ship, he goes to customer service and offers to pay for and upgrade into a suite.

He then negotiates a price with them,He got a suite on Grandeur of the Seas for $300 for a 12 night cruise, which seemed good value until he found out they were right under the fog horn, which went of quite often as we hit lots of fog.

Celebrity and RCI tend to have a bingo session which must raise a lot more money than the suite its worth.....Davybe

I recently bid £405 the minimum, in the poor sector on the chart, and one an upgrade from Spa Balcony to H5 Haven on Breakaway out of Warnemünde. In someways I wish I hadn’t bothered, the richer the parents, the more spoilt the children are..

22 hours ago, Ian c said:

I recently bid £405 the minimum, in the poor sector on the chart, and one an upgrade from Spa Balcony to H5 Haven on Breakaway out of Warnemünde. In someways I wish I hadn’t bothered, the richer the parents, the more spoilt the children are..

Welcome to the forum Ian c .

Must say I never thought of that ....Davybe

I can see that this will appeal to some but personally I think "oh for goodness sake, what's the next money-making gimmick they are going to think of".  I want booking and going on a cruise to be as simple and easy as possible please.

2 hours ago, afcandrew said:

I can see that this will appeal to some but personally I think "oh for goodness sake, what's the next money-making gimmick they are going to think of".  I want booking and going on a cruise to be as simple and easy as possible please.

It is not a "money making gimmick" but cruise lines selling vacant unsold cabins for a fraction of the price that you would have paid if you would have booked initially. A"win win situation" it is better than expecting a "free upgrade" not knowing where you would go on the ship and if you agree to this at beginning of booking process then you cannot refuse "free upgrade" which you have no control of.

19 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

It is not a "money making gimmick" but cruise lines selling vacant unsold cabins for a fraction of the price that you would have paid if you would have booked initially. A"win win situation" it is better than expecting a "free upgrade" not knowing where you would go on the ship and if you agree to this at beginning of booking process then you cannot refuse "free upgrade" which you have no control of.

Fully respect your view Sinbad but also stick with mine.  All the big cruise lines are looking for ways to maximise revenue and to me, this is just one of those.  Personally, I do not expect a free upgrade and opt for no upgrade when booking.

I look at it in a different way. All companies are in business to make money, of course they are, but in such a competitive industry as the cruising world currently is, they're also looking for the latest opportunity to give them an edge. I have to admire NCL for this. They come up with clever PR innovations time and time again to put their brand in the spotlight and get people talking about them.

Some will like it, others won't but the fact that we're discussing it on here suggests that they've succeeded in their mission to spread the word about NCL.

6 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Fully respect your view Sinbad but also stick with mine.  All the big cruise lines are looking for ways to maximise revenue and to me, this is just one of those.  Personally, I do not expect a free upgrade and opt for no upgrade when booking.

All companies look to maximise revenue there is nothing wrong with that and why give something away as a "free upgrade" if some are prepared to pay a lot smaller amount than if they had initially booked same grade.

15 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

All companies look to maximise revenue there is nothing wrong with that and why give something away as a "free upgrade" if some are prepared to pay a lot smaller amount than if they had initially booked same grade.

Hi Sinbad.

I have known cruise lines to upgrade pax (Not by Much) to spread out the passengers so all the crew get a share of the tips? They would be open to us asking to pay for an upgrade,I did meet one couple who were lucky to get and upgrade to a suite ,from a balcony cabin, their traveling companions were not very happy ..Davybe

8 hours ago, Davybe said:

Hi Sinbad.

I have known cruise lines to upgrade pax (Not by Much) to spread out the passengers so all the crew get a share of the tips? They would be open to us asking to pay for an upgrade,I did meet one couple who were lucky to get and upgrade to a suite ,from a balcony cabin, their traveling companions were not very happy ..Davybe

We have been offered 2 upgrades on P&O ships the first on Aurora which we refused and it was a free upgrade( before the days were if you asked to upgraded you had no choice of refusing. The second on Azura maiden voyage believe it or not was from top grade inside cabin to superior deluxe cabin at a cost and the money they asked we snapped their hands off.

Sound advice OWT, sometimes its easier to upgrade onboard then at least you can assess if the upgrade is worth it or not. Exactly the same as taking a guarantee cabin then there is no point in moaning when the cabin you are allocated is not your preferred choice as a customer you have chosen to take the lower fare in the first place

The upgrade we had on Azura maiden voyage previously mentioned from inside to superior deluxe cabin at a relatively small cost compared to price we would have paid when booking I guess was a late cancellation because it only came days before departure so I assume P&O didnt lose out because of full payment by cancelling party. Not all upgrades are in poor areas i.e. front or aft of ship or below or above noisy area that are hard to sell I think there is the element on every cruise of  late cancellations by booked parties.

22 hours ago, cruise chef said:

Sound advice OWT, sometimes its easier to upgrade onboard then at least you can assess if the upgrade is worth it or not. Exactly the same as taking a guarantee cabin then there is no point in moaning when the cabin you are allocated is not your preferred choice as a customer you have chosen to take the lower fare in the first place

In  fairness when we have booked a Guaranteed cabin we have been very lucky and got well above basic grade and not had a bad location.That was on both P&O and Celebrity.

As Sinbad says they often have cabins become available due to cancellation ,due to illness or bereavement ,there will be some that have not been sold...Davybe