Sign in to follow this  
Bolsover Cruise Club

P&O Cruises Announce Iona Will Be The Name Of Their New Ship for 2020

P&O Cruises have officially named their new ship…..Iona

At 4pm today, P&O Cruises made the announcement live across social media.

In 2020, P&O Cruises will debut Iona, the most ambitious and exciting ship ever built for British cruisers.

With capacity for 5,200 guests, Iona will offer more choice of accommodation, more places to dine in style, more spaces to relax, more entertainment and more freedom to make your holiday your own - wherever you are in the world.

For more information on the latest addition to the P&O Cruises fleet, visit our dedicated P&O Cruises Iona page here to keep up with all the latest news and updates.

What do you think of the new name? Are you happy with the choice?

See the official naming reveal below:

Seems a big shift from the older fleet names and I wonder if this will lead to other new vessels being given other Scottish Island names, or if it was an idea to create a major talking point with something very different. At least they didnt re-hash one of the previous ship names so full marks to them for that

I quite like this actually. At first I thought it was a bit bland but actually I think it sits quite nicely. I still think Olympia or Athena would have been better choices but that's just my opinion of course. Put it this way, it's better than some of the other names I'd heard being touted around so not bad overall.

I like the name, its different and P&O need to be different to keep attracting people, so many people have said P&O need to up their game, but then when they do its like oh no i dont like that :D watching the short video clip of her exterior, i cannot wait until september to get booked on her! shes the next generation ship to attract the next generation of cruisers

The name is nice but would be more fitting to a ship with style and class, perhaps something more the size of Aurora to reflect its namesake of a small Scottish island as OWT pointed out. 

Hopefully the interior of this ship may hold a few nice surprises, we shall have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Furby said:

I like the name, its different and P&O need to be different to keep attracting people, so many people have said P&O need to up their game, but then when they do its like oh no i dont like that :D watching the short video clip of her exterior, i cannot wait until september to get booked on her! shes the next generation ship to attract the next generation of cruisers

The next generation of cruisers maybe impressed but it's not for me. Just by building bigger and bigger ships isn't upping their game in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

Looking at the promotion video ,there does not seem to be much open space on the upper decks ,my feeling is they may be a crowded ship ...Davybe

we must of been watching a different video as the main thing that stood out to me is how much deck space there is? all the top deck as normal then that stick out prom deck that looks like it goes all the way round. this is without even being given a peek of whats inside, from the first video it looks like shes been deisgned with feedback about the britannia in mind, mainly that prom deck.

22 hours ago, Furby said:

we must of been watching a different video as the main thing that stood out to me is how much deck space there is? all the top deck as normal then that stick out prom deck that looks like it goes all the way round. this is without even being given a peek of whats inside, from the first video it looks like shes been deisgned with feedback about the britannia in mind, mainly that prom deck.

No we watched the same video Furby, we just arrived at different  conclusions ? Hope you are right but we will have to wait 2 years to find out.

Must say I like a wrap around prom deck on any ship....Davybe