Sign in to follow this  
GiGi

St Petersburg

Hi,

l’m looking at a Viking cruise for next year for Russia and the Baltics. However in the itinerary it spends three days in St Petersburg. This seems a long time to spend in one location. From those of you who have been there what are your thoughts? 

Three days would get you to see a lot but Are you getting Ships tours or DIY.

You can get some good deals on private tours from Denrus, Alla and other private tour operators ,Places like the Peterhof/Catherines Palace are great places but they are over 4 hour trips.

It is reckoned to see the Heritage properly will take you 11 years, just to give you some Idea .Great place to visit..Davybe

Edited by Davybe

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

Three days would get you to see a lot but Are you getting Ships tours or DIY.

You can get some good deals on private tours from Denrus, Alla and other private tour operators ,Places like the Peterhof/Catherines Palace are great places but they are over 4 hour trips.

It is reckoned to see the Heritage properly will take you 11 years, just to give you some Idea .Great place to visit..Davybe

If the OP is with Viking then presumably most of the shore excursions will be included.   However I am not a big fan of overnight stays, although to be fair St Pete is perhaps an exception, so 2 days would probably be more than enough for me, especially as my wife is a wheelchair user and St Petersburg is not very wheelchair friendly. 

Loved St Petersburg. We only had an overnight and had 2 x 1 day tours with SPB as a cheaper option to our boat. It was exhausting fitting so much in and I`d have loved 3 days to give me more time there. fantastic place! Enjoy

Hi GiGi,

To my mind, St. Petersburg is fascinating enough to justify 3 full days.  Maximising your time there will be helped if, like our ship when we visited, your vessel is small enough to dock in the heart of the City.  I believe the port for larger ships is some 2 hours out of town and therefore transit eats into your valuable time ashore.

DavidH

4 hours ago, DavidH said:

Hi GiGi,

To my mind, St. Petersburg is fascinating enough to justify 3 full days.  Maximising your time there will be helped if, like our ship when we visited, your vessel is small enough to dock in the heart of the City.  I believe the port for larger ships is some 2 hours out of town and therefore transit eats into your valuable time ashore.

DavidH

Hi DavidH

We have booked with Viking (I know, don’t go there,  we’ve not been back a week yet! ). In comparison to others we saw they are not big ships so hopefully we can dock in the city. 

7 hours ago, DavidH said:

Hi GiGi,

DavidH

Another reason why smaller ships are best. We were centrally parked up and it was literally off one bus trip and onto another. We wouldn’t have been able to do it if we were parked further away.

21 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

When we last went to St Petersburg we berthed at the new cruise terminal and it wasnt 2 hrs out of St Petersburg city centre.

We were there in 2016 and also in the new cruise terminal. From memory we were in the city well within the hour but I believe it is dependent on time of year and volume of traffic. You could spend a full day just in the Hermitage, if you wanted, but to do trips on your own will required a visa so booked excursions are a must.

We were on Royal Princess and docked at the new terminal.  It took less than an hour to reach the centre.  We used SPB for two days of sightseeing and a third day would have been appreciated.