Sign in to follow this  
poppyliscous

refitting shops on Arcadia cruise starting 14th June 2018

I know they are going through the fleet doing the shops the new ones are much more expensive you may get a few bargains with the old stock they have rebranded all the P and O merchandising and don’t have much of a range.

the new shops on ventura were rubbish,totally understocked.duty free only had one type of rolling tobbacco the shop to get sunscreen etc and any bits you forgot was full of £5 bags of odd sweets mostly usa brands. no sunscreen the only place you could get any was the fragrance shop and it was all high end brands at rediculous prices. the only interesting bit was the introduction of currys/pc world/dixons but even then you had to do your homework as much on offer was cheaper at home or online. so from what i saw in april the new shops are not good. be interesting to see where they are in october.

In general IMO the only people that buy from the shops are those that have overpaid for the price of the cruise i.e. Select Fare to get "free" OBC and then are buying items they wouldnt normally purchase to use up any OBC left or else they would lose it. 

10 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

In general IMO the only people that buy from the shops are those that have overpaid for the price of the cruise i.e. Select Fare to get "free" OBC and then are buying items they wouldnt normally purchase to use up any OBC left or else they would lose it. 

We have never, ever had so much OBC we have to find somewhere to spend it. The most we ever had was on a world cruise, we had £1300 each and that was spent before the end the first sector. I suppose a lot of it was taken for the auto-tips and the rest went on laundry and drinks. For the rest of the cruise we spent out own money. We always book a suite and at the price we pay I don't consider the OBC 'free'.

the obc isnt necessarily all its cracked up to be, and i have to praise bolsover here they always go through the various pricing options in great detail as it can be confusing as to the best "deal".

likewise the "military benefit" isnt really there as it disappears if you book anything other than the top price, you dont get it on saver fares,you dont get it if you book on board.

so unless you need to book well in advance for a particular reason they dont give veterans etc anything. it gets even worse when your on your own as you have to then work through the pros and cons of the single cabin versus single occupency of a double cabin.

16 hours ago, Tally said:

We have never, ever had so much OBC we have to find somewhere to spend it. The most we ever had was on a world cruise, we had £1300 each and that was spent before the end the first sector. I suppose a lot of it was taken for the auto-tips and the rest went on laundry and drinks. For the rest of the cruise we spent out own money. We always book a suite and at the price we pay I don't consider the OBC 'free'.

I agree that the OBC given is not "free" that is why in my statement it was in exclamation marks many people book thinking it is free but they do not see that the cruise fare has been inflated to cover OBC so in effect your are actually paying for your "free" OBC. The same applies to parking and coach travel it is all included in the Select price giving you the impression its "free" when you have paid for it.

No such thing as free. With fluid pricing the price goes up as does the obc but not by the same amount. It looks like the only way to get a reasonable price is book early and, hopefully, the cruise will not be cancelled.