sammy sun

What will the outcome be in Venice?

Having seen Venice hit the headlines again this weekend with protesters lining the streets, I wonder what this will force on the tourism situation for the popular Italian port.

I've cruised into Venice and sailed out of Venice and it has to be one of the best cruising destinations I've had the pleasure of visiting but there is no denying, particularly in the summer periods, the tourism numbers from cruise lines alone are astronomical. This is fantastic for the tourism impact on the economy but I do sympathise with locals. I saw one sign saying "your luxury trip, my daily misery". Clearly something needs to be done. For the locals to hold signs saying "this is not Veniceland" referring to the city being used as though it's an extension of Disneyland, there is a strong issue here that is not going anywhere until something is done.

Over the weekend there was apparently seven large ships in the lagoon and an approximate 14,000 cruise passengers. What will be the impact for cruising in Venice in the years to come?

I absolutely think that the port authority there need to take some steps to reduce the numbers of passengers in port each day.

They have to compromise on having the tourism without destroying the locals way of life, and the place itself!

I completely agree, something has to be done. This is not just one person, it's 4,000 people protesting so surely their points will be heard.

I understand that they need to find a balance between the revenue stream that tourism presents and the quality of life for the city itself but having seven ships in the lagoon at once is too much in my opinion. 

It also makes for an unenjoyable experience from the passenger's perspective too. If there are 14,000 cruise passengers descending on the city all at once, getting around must be a nightmare for them let alone the locals.

This discussion could be had about any of the world's most popular tourist destinations.

As usual with anything like this the blame is usually put on the hapless tourist or cruise passenger, but all they've done is booked a trip to a hotel or a cruise that stops at Venice. The solution is all in the hands of the various Italian authorities who can limit numbers if they want to, so it would appear that they don't want to.

The residents can protest all they like but it isn't as if they don't know what to expect: Venice has not just suddenly become popular.

I suspect that while lots of money is being made not much will be done until Venice starts to sink with the weight of all the tourists.

RayO

If the locals are prepared to take money that tourism brings then they shouldn't really bite the hand that feeds them.

It'd be interesting to see the results if cruiselines stopped docking in Venice, I suspect it wouldn't be long before they'd be begging for their return.

Me personally, I thought Venice was ok but I'm in no hurry to return.

HLM.

12 hours ago, HLM said:

If the locals are prepared to take money that tourism brings then they shouldn't really bite the hand that feeds them.

It'd be interesting to see the results if cruiselines stopped docking in Venice, I suspect it wouldn't be long before they'd be begging for their return.

Me personally, I thought Venice was ok but I'm in no hurry to return.

HLM.

We have just returned from a two night end of cruise extension in Venice and like you HLM our feeling was ‘nice but seen it now’. I know some people who keep going time after time and can’t quite get it.  With regards to the tourists, I think the restaurants would miss the €195 for two mains, one desert and a bottle of wine! 

This is very true PP, I'm just about to transfer the deposit on one of our booked cruises to something else because when I've really thought about it and asked myself do I really want to go to the same places I've been to umpteen times before the answer is no !! the downside is it was a back to back but a lot of money just to see the same places again, as for Venice I could go over and over again I love it there, not so bothered about Dubrovnik but that's probably because my husband always wants to walk the walls, I don't mind the walls so much but those steps to get up and down are lethal !! there are some beautiful places in the Adriatic/Med but as you say year on year it's the same old, same old.

its a catch 22, the locals are forced out by companies catering to the tourists.many areas at night are a ghost town the people who work there during the day cant afford to live there.airbnb etc have priced the housing out of locals reach and its the buy to let that dominate the housing stock.schools etc are closing as there are no local kids.their parents have to commute in to work.

legislation will i feel be inevitable it has to be controlled. its getting the same in areas in the uk where 2nd/holiday homes are denying locals affordable housing.

local authorities should charge 2nd home owners business rates etc.

I understand some of the comments but I do feel for the locals to an extent. Yes, it's not as if Venice has become popular overnight, nor would they want to remove the tourism revenue altogether, but what has changed is the sheer number of cruise ships entering the lagoon each day, particularly during the heights of summer.

On my last trip to Venice for a cruise holiday, there was only two ships in port. It was busy but a nice busy with a buzzing atmosphere. Imagine that being seven ships all in at once. Not only does it impact the locals, it also impacts the cruise passengers as there are limitations to the numbers that can dock directly into port hence the need for more tenders and less time to actually explore Venice.

I don't believe for a second that they'll want to remove the cruise tourism element altogether but I do think they're within their rights to ask for it to be at least limited so a reasonable number.

We were there in April and were lucky as we were the only ship docking that day. I would hate to be be there when 14000 passengers arrive. It was VERY crowded on the day we were there, difficult to see all the sites because of the crowds.

i did not think we will go there again.

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Question, over the years millions and millions of Lira and then Euro's have gone into the pockets of the authorities in Venice from mooring fees, dock services, bunkering services etc. How much of it has been reinvested into the port and waterways to prevent erosion? 

Probably not a lot.....☹️

On 14/06/2018 at 2:04 PM, TrentAnn said:

This is the result of 5 cruise ships docking in Dubrovnik 

image.jpeg

In the evening when the cruise ships have gone Dubrovnik takes on a new suit of clothes. The shiny cobbled streets reflecting the buildings that are flood lit by concealed lighting, a stillness descends on the beautiful walled city.

7 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I've never seen it any different to this whenever we've been in Dubrovnik, it's horrendous trying to get in/out through the small entrance.

I also have seen it like this the shuttle bus took a long time to get in, it was very hot, so we came back to ship, I think my other half and I had a few words, as you I

I agree with sammy sun, and do sympathise with the locals. We were lucky too when we visited Venice the weather had been terrible but the day we arrived the sun came out. Before that cruise we had been watching a programme about Venice and how crowded it was in the tourist season so I was well prepared. I booked a gondola excursion with P&O because  I understood there would be huge queues for the gondolas on the Grand canal. As it happened we were the only cruise ship in that day and the weather had put most tourists off. St Mark's square was empty.😮It was wonderful my only regret is that we could have had our pick of the gondolas on the Grand canal which would have been far superior to the one's P&O used for their excursions. We are calling into Venice again this year and I'm pretty sure we won't be so lucky.  I'll admit if it's crowded I won't be stopping long.   

Edited by Tally

First went to Venice 40 years ago when on holiday in Lido de Jesolo. Wonderful. Now, going as a cruise-ship passenger it’s too crowded to move. If you are over-nighting and have been before, what about taking your own trip to Verona. 2 years ago return rail fare was €13 from Santa Lucia station. Trains about every 30mins. Get to Station, buy ticket, get on train. So easy.  Caution. Do not take train that says “treni alte frequenzi” as this is a stopping train and will take hours.