Sign in to follow this  
sammy sun

Royal Caribbean to purchase majority stake in Silversea

Well I certainly didn't see this move coming from Royal Caribbean but it's been confirmed today. They are looking to conclude a $1 billion purchase in Silversea Cruises to aquire 66.7% of the luxury line.

As I said, I didn't see it coming but it does make sense. It was the only piece of the puzzle missing for Royal Caribbean and now they have a full collection of cruise lines to complete their portfolio. It also nicely positions them following NCL's purchase of Oceania and Regent Seven Seas not too long ago.

What will be the impact on Silversea? Surely it'll be business as usual? Perhaps more investment into the line though?

How odd, I only put a post on the other day asking for peoples experience on Silver Sea as I’d had a call from their sales team after downloading a brochure. 

It was only a tentative enquiry (but we know how quickly the credit cards can appear!) I think we will give this a miss for now and see how things unfold. 

On 14/06/2018 at 7:52 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

Correct Sammy Sun, they are part of  Genting Hong Kong as are Star Cruises. a hotel group and a ship yard but operate as an independent company in the same way as Silversea were part of the of V-Ships and Lefebvre family and operated as an independent company. 

Everyday's a school day. Thanks for that OWT.