Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

New from P&O

From Youtube. Hope it works 

P&O to trial new things on ships like a Drinks package ,Waiter to serve more Tables?

I wonder if the drinks packages will be like the Wine Package or the Costa Card, With P&O drinks prices being reasonable ,by cruise standards ,could they rick an all inclusive drinks package....Davybe

I wonder if the cruisers viewed waiters doing more tables as a success!. Nothing about paying all a fair wage for their work and doing away with tips then ;-). I`d like some drinks at crew prices in the new inclusive package ;-)

Why do we always come back to the issue of wages and gratuities with any service change? I have just come back from a week away on a land based holiday and must say the food was excellent and plentiful, the drinks flowed from 10:00 - midnight and were "free" (all inclusive) and there was nothing about htips and gratuities. These European workers were perfectly happy with their work so why do we always think people on ships are treated badly - it is not the case.

If people did not take booze onboard with them then sales would dramatically increase. I you want/need a drink whilst getting ready for the evening then just purchase them from the bar and take them back to the cabin. Increased sales would be the best way of protecting jobs.

13 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

I suppose the spin they have put on it to the staff about the serving of more tables is that the more people they serve the more gratuities they will get.

That was my thought's on the Video ,a spin job, to show us how well they treated the crew.

The crew may like serving more tables, but what about us passengers  service can be slow on some cruises....Davybe

What a very strange video.  It looks like it was made mainly to go out to staff but they realised that when it goes on You Tube, pax will also see it so they tried to make it look like it was for both staff & pax.  I have a fairly simple little brain but I do really fail to see how waiters working more tables can possibly be an improvement for pax.  It will be interesting to see if we pax notice any changes to how cabins are cleaned.  Do they mean yet more cabins per steward, so you may go back to the cabin at 2pm and find it still hasn't been serviced? 

I think the crew would tell a very different story, the spin doctors may have sold them more tables/cabins = more tips but it will also mean more dissatisfied passengers = less tips.

I have always supported the auto gratuities but the more I read on forums I'm beginning to ask myself who is the biggest fool here !! I accept paying tips is part and parcel of the stewards wage and I don't have a problem with this but what I do have a problem with is paying for a service if I don't get it and with the best will in the world the stewards can only do so much in a day so customer service will suffer.

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

It does all come back to tips, which I for one are fed up with, I pay mine for service, having said that, I do know there is a waiting list of people who want to work on cruise ships, and once they get a contract want to keep it,so I don’t for one minute that most staff are very happy, once they get over the homesickness as I understand, that’s the thing that makes most staff unhappy.