Sign in to follow this  
2torts

Security at Southampton

I've just been reading in today's newspaper about the lax security at all the terminals in Southampton. At each one reporters managed to smuggle knives & guns aboard & at 2 of them IEDs. It seems as though they were posing as workmen & contractors rather then passengers but it is rather worrying. Anyone got any thoughts on this please?

I find this hard to believe as surely everyone has to go through the xray machine and things like knives/guns I would have thought would set it off, I've been stopped twice going through security, once when they couldn't identify the shape of something in my hand luggage on the screen so it was searched, I can't think what it was but they were totally satisfied there was nothing in it that posed a threat, the second time was on a Xmas cruise and as I tend to take lots of decorations I also take lots of batteries, again I was stopped as my hand luggage went through the scanner and asked what I had in the bag, when I said there were batteries in there and did they want me to open it they said no it was fine so obviously they weren't concerned about the other contents in the bag and accepted the batteries were for the use I said.

If someone is determined enough there will always be a way to get weapons on board but I would rather put my trust in the security at Southampton than some of the other ports around the world.  

2 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I find this hard to believe as surely everyone has to go through the xray machine and things like knives/guns I would have thought would set it off, I've been stopped twice going through security, once when they couldn't identify the shape of something in my hand luggage on the screen so it was searched, I can't think what it was but they were totally satisfied there was nothing in it that posed a threat, the second time was on a Xmas cruise and as I tend to take lots of decorations I also take lots of batteries, again I was stopped as my hand luggage went through the scanner and asked what I had in the bag, when I said there were batteries in there and did they want me to open it they said no it was fine so obviously they weren't concerned about the other contents in the bag and accepted the batteries were for the use I said.

If someone is determined enough there will always be a way to get weapons on board but I would rather put my trust in the security at Southampton than some of the other ports around the world.  

I am sure workman/contractors are not searched and have to go through x-ray machines every time they enter the ship which might be numerous times while docked in Southampton on changeover day.

Having said all that the reports are in the Sun and Daily Mail so not the most trustworthy and reliable papers for reliable reporting. I remember when Aurora suffered a severe case on Noro Virus years ago and it hit the press and the TV and was reported in Daily Mail showing a photograph of a P&O ferry.

Edited by sinbad10

Having worked Airside at airports all contractors are subject to the same security as passengers so maybe the ports need to adopt the same policy. I regularly used to have all my work tools and equipment scanned & checked.

Regardless of whether the truth has been stretched or not, the mere fact it's reached the press only serves us passengers well.

As a result I suspect security at Southampton will be tightened, even if only for a few weeks.

HLM.

I am very surprised the security at Southampton always seems very good, we have never had a problem, I have seen people having to turn out bags they are carrying 

I do think that journalists work on a way to get the story they want so as undercover newspaper people would work hard to find a loophole 

If the information provided is in fact true, then it's a pretty damning review of port security in Southampton. That being said, at least such checks are being made and hopefully now, more stringent controls are put in place to prevent such events in the future.

i am ex army and one post i had involved checking systems at various bases and civilian establishments with a military connection. it was a rolling inspection process as well as attempts to breach security. any facility open to the public is "at risk" by the very nature of its openness. the more people you have to be able to admit the easier it is to breach. the important thing is awareness of staff and the public to be vigilent and to have systems in place to deal with reports of suspicious activity appropriatley. better 10 false alarms than one terrorist incident.

leaking of what seems a routine test does not help and alarmist press coverage does not help those conducting the tests or training. indeed publicising potential weak spots is definateley unhelpful as plugging those gaps may need major time consuming work.

On 27/06/2018 at 12:42 PM, mitch said:

i am ex army and one post i had involved checking systems at various bases and civilian establishments with a military connection. it was a rolling inspection process as well as attempts to breach security. any facility open to the public is "at risk" by the very nature of its openness. the more people you have to be able to admit the easier it is to breach. the important thing is awareness of staff and the public to be vigilent and to have systems in place to deal with reports of suspicious activity appropriatley. better 10 false alarms than one terrorist incident.

leaking of what seems a routine test does not help and alarmist press coverage does not help those conducting the tests or training. indeed publicising potential weak spots is definateley unhelpful as plugging those gaps may need major time consuming work.

Sounds an interesting deployment Mitch. What was your unit. 

i was rapc.the post was at the M.O.D att to HQ LON DIST. i was there to do costing analysis. the rest were RMP and a couple of dont asks.

it was an interesting attachment but the travelling was a pain. it probably doesnt exist anymore done by contractors now getting paid twice as much.

Port security can be a bit hit and miss, at Corfu we were wizzed through and they didn’t seem too bothered. Had I known a few bottles would have joined us at that port! But it didn’t inspire confidence to say the least.