Sign in to follow this  
BanburyBlue

New to RCI: Thoughts of Independence of the Seas

Hi, we've done a few cruises now, initially with Cunard and more lately with P&O.  We wanted to try out a difference cruise line, and after some research found a 5 day cruise on Independence of the Seas in October.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect compared to P&O.  For example..

• what's included and not included in the price?
  • are the drinks packages worth it?

The cruise is significantly cheaper than a comparable P&O cruise, so wondering if I'm missing anything?

Thanks.

RCI prices for drinks are considerably higher than P&O,as are the Gratuities .

On the plus side food and service ,choice of things to do are better than P&O.

It depends on how much you drink as to wether the packages are worth it, keep in mind how may port days you will have.

If the price is right book it and enjoy...Davybe

I agree with Davybe about  prices and activities. Still one of  the best cruises we did was with RCI and Independence of Seas which was our first. The ship is so impressive and so much to do onboard. Would never go P&O ahead of RCI other than on price!

Drinks packages are 100% worth it I think! the packages start from $40pp per day which is good value to say that glasses of wine, spirits and cocktails start from $9 per glass + an 18% gratuity. A no brainer in my eyes!

Thanks all.

In terms of what is onboard, what is included and what isn't? 

I'm assuming there is the same concept of a MDR and a buffet restaurant somewhere which would be included?  Are all other restaurants chargeable, or are some included and some not?  and I guess, is it obvious which ones are and are not?

I've had a look at the RCI website, and it seems vague on what is inclusive and what is not?  So thinking about P&O, apart from the food and entertainment, everything is chargeable?  Is the same with RCI?  For example, there seems to be a lot of exercise type classes on RCI - are these included?  Likewise all the 'fun' stuff - the waterslides and wave machines etc - are these all included?

Many thanks,

With RCI ,they include much the same as any other cruise line,Basic food and tea and Coffee other drinks chargeable .

It us to be free to use gym but classes are chargeable,(Spinning ,Yoga ,Pilates) you may get free dance (Line Dancing) classes.

And yes the wall climbing was free as was the flow rider, but you need to be sure you are covered by your insurance ,as they are classed as Dangerous ...Davybe