Sign in to follow this  
Tally

P&O Cruises Oriana leaving the fleet

I am very sad to hear this as she is my favourite ship.  Once she has gone, only Aurora & Arcadia will interest me in the P&O fleet.  They are sailing in a direction that I do not wish to thank you.

I'm pleased that I seized my chance to go on Oriana last year. Only a quick 7 nights 'around the Bay and back again'  but well worth it now.

She is without doubt a lovely and still very 'atmospheric' ship indeed, but sadly anyone with any engineering 'nous' about them, on listening to all that mechanical disturbance below the aft dining room and most probably the water line too, would understand that she has some serious problems which despite many attempted fixes now, just haven't solved her long lamented problems.  

Better surely, that she goes next year and still be fondly remembered for many years to come, than meet some unexpected fate in the future that might possibly tarnish her once great reputation.

I feel that with the current mass building/mass production of modern day ships, we are fast approaching the end of the true Maritime icons. Ships (not just cruise ships) are no longer unique, they are just names and numbers, without a distinctive profile to mark them out, at distance.

We should cherish those that are still left, and whilst they are with us, then sadly say our fond farewells to those icons, who have sadly, yet thankfully, served their time. Amen to them all.

Edited by HALaP&O
Amendment!

Perhaps it might have been better if the Japanese had her, they might have a better knowledge of engines...

so with the smaller ships leaving soon there won’t be any doing round trips from the uk, only the big ones, little choice left for those of us who don’t like the big ones .

(Ships that is) thought I’d better clarify 🤪

16 minutes ago, Pesky Pirate said:

so with the smaller ships leaving soon there won’t be any doing round trips from the uk, only the big ones, little choice left for those of us who don’t like the big ones .

(Ships that is) thought I’d better clarify 🤪

You still have Fred and Cruise and Maritime PP.

7 hours ago, 2torts said:

My favourite ship so I'll miss her. She has 'character' to put it mildly. We're on her next July & after that we might try Aurora.

If you like Oriana I think you will love the Aurora. Very similar but in my opinion Aurora is better.

6 hours ago, afcandrew said:

I am very sad to hear this as she is my favourite ship.  Once she has gone, only Aurora & Arcadia will interest me in the P&O fleet.  They are sailing in a direction that I do not wish to thank you.

Arcadia has never appealed to me. Aurora is my favourite and even though I found Oriana similar I much prefer Aurora. Like you I think P&O are sailing in a direction which doesn't suit us.

2 hours ago, Tally said:

If you like Oriana I think you will love the Aurora. Very similar but in my opinion Aurora is better.

I do like Aurora Tally but Oriana just has more of the Art Deco Ocean Liner feel to her interiors.  I like Tiffany's Bar at the top of the Atrium and also The Lord's Tavern - whereas I really don't like Champions Bar on Aurora.  Oriana just feels that little bit more elegant to me.

12 hours ago, afcandrew said:

I do like Aurora Tally but Oriana just has more of the Art Deco Ocean Liner feel to her interiors.  I like Tiffany's Bar at the top of the Atrium and also The Lord's Tavern - whereas I really don't like Champions Bar on Aurora.  Oriana just feels that little bit more elegant to me.

I think we all perhaps like certain things about a ship and I do understand what you mean about Oriana. I do think Aurora and Oriana are very similar ships. Personally I don't like Champions Bar at all but I can't say I like The Lord's Tavern either. I prefer the Crow's nest and Andersons on Aurora.  Al fresco on Oriana was very small and always crowded as opposed to the Cafe Bordeaux on Aurora. Now the Cafe Bordeaux has become the Glasshouse I think I maybe in the minority who actually like it. 

On 29/06/2018 at 11:37 PM, afcandrew said:

I agree entirely.

I'd just like to spare a thought for P&O staff and all the poor travel agents out there who again have helped P&O book customers on the ship until 2020. For the 2nd time in a couple of years it probably feels like they have worked hard to fill the ship to then have to ring customers to give them the bad news. I know from a friend it's pretty sole destroying to put all that work in to book and then be told its not sailing. So for us the customer whilst it means we don't have a holiday (and at least we could book something else) at least it isnt affecting our pay or day to day living!

Yet another old girl being put out to grass, and a big new big girl taking her place, but the old girls friends, will stay well away from the new big girl, just my opinion of cause.

I understand the reasoning behind letting Oriana go as the ship has had its issues now for many years, particularly when it comes to aft vibration. What I would say though is that I think the way it has been handled is very poor and unforuntately, quite typical of P&O lately. I'm sure they were unable to inform passengers sooner due to terms of sale and negotiations being agreed but I first saw the announcement on Facebook and followed the conversation on there of the many comments following the news. P&O appeared to have a team on hand to reply to all comments posted on Facebook trying to fan the flames. What struck me most of all was the sheer lack of organisation and preparation. For someone to use the sentence "as a gesture of goodwill, we are allowing passengers to cancel or transfer their cruise free of charge" is just downright stupid.

How can anyone be so daft as to comment with things like that? Of course you're going to let people cancel free of charge, what else are you going to do? Let them carry on with the cruise only to stand at the quayside waiting for a ship that will never arrive? Not only was that a daft comment to make, especially on social media but there was a clear lack of prep that had gone into the announcement. The hierarchy had clearly not filtered down the responses they wanted the social media team to use and stick to. It's just so typically uncoordinated and sadly that's become synonymous with P&O of late.

To top it off, not long after they made the Oriana announcement, they went and posted a picture with the caption "how's everyone feeling this Friday?" :unsure: I mean come on, are they serious? Obviously they were inundated with negative comments and they deserved it because they asked for it by posting something as stupid as that when people are currently being informed that the holiday they had booked is now being cancelled!