Rikki

Oriana sold by P&O Cruises

I've had an e-mail from P&O confirming Oriana is leaving the P&O fleet.

Oriana will be leaving the P&O Cruises fleet in August 2019 following her final cruise to Norway & North Cape (X913), departing 22 July 2019. There are still plenty of opportunities to sail on her. A real fleet favourite, Oriana has earned a loyal following over the years, so why not join her one more time?

Our cruise on the Oriana to see the northern lights in 2916 was full of ‘interesting ‘ incidents. We couldn’t sail away at four because the computerised engine starter failed, it was gone 11 when we set off. Our cabin sounded as if we had a family of chipmunks in the ceiling when we were moving. For the best part of a day you could only use the public toilets. The fix it guys were always dealing with the lifts. And finally, as we were having dinner sailing out of Flam all the lights went out and everything stopped, yes the engines had conked again. It’s way past time the Oriana was retired. 

9 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

I am fortunate to be going on her this year and am really looking forward to it, vibrations and all 😊

We're  also on her this year(in October) & I'm so pleased that we've booked an earlier cruise than usual for next year. We're on her in July 2019 so will be able to raise a glass or two to her & say goodbye.

We  booked her last cruise to the North Cape some time ago now so it is fortuitous that it will be her last.

Will be sorry to see her go as we have never experienced any of the problems  that have been written about on many forum's

Our last cruise on Oriana was March 2014 and the cruise was unforgettable in many ways mainly for the fantastic places we visited and the chancing of experiencing Northern Lights. Everything to do with the sip was very poor no clean water in cabin whole cruise, toilet in cabin consistently not working and also around the ship. One morning we got up and outside our cabin the walls and floor was covered up with plastic sheets for about 25metres of the corridor and ceiling tiles missing and water pouring out. The food wasnt great either. Yes she is a nice looking ship in its fabrics but unfortunately to many plumbing and mechanical problems and the vibration at the rear of the ship which she has had sine been built in 1995 was a standard joke but not very funny.

Had my first cruise in 1997 on Oriana when she was alongside Canberra in Cannes. It was Canberra's farewell cruise and we went onboard her and said goodbye. Now all these years, and many cruises later I am in a dilemma if I should book a trip on Oriana to say farewell to the ship that gave me such wonderful memories that I have been cruising  ever since. After a bad cruise on Arcadia for  the 175th  I must admit I lost any loyalty I had for P&O  and have not been on one of their ships since!  Oh dear, should I try and re live those special moments that initially "gave me the cruise bug?" Can I be the bigger person and look past some of the  problems she has now and just remember what a fantastic time we all had then and say "Thanks for the Memories"  or is it a mistake to go back?  I guess only I can answer that, but I would like to know how others feel!!

Edited by Nimrod
Wrong year

My loyalty to P&O ceased about seven years ago .. funnily enough after a really bad cruise on Arcadia, I vowed I would never sail with them again and I haven't but at the same time I did say 'never say never'.

Oriana along with Aurora have always been my two favourite P&O ships so I am tempted to book a cruise before she leaves the fleet, so yes I would say if Oriana holds special memories for you go back one last time and say farewell to the 'old girl' 

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

Oriana was the first ever ship I sailed on so I read the announcement with a heavy heart. That said, I do completetly understand their decision. I enjoyed two fantastic cruises aboard Oriana in the late 90s early 00s but as much as I had a great time on board, the more I cruised, the more I realised that for me, there were much better choices. 

The traditional elements of Oriana are lovely and it's certainly a long-way from where P&O seem to be heading with their new ship designs but there are so many issues with Oriana these days that I think they're making the right decision to let her go. The aft vibration has always been an issue no matter how many times they tried to fix it. Dining in the Oriental Restaurant felt like sitting on top of a tumble dryer at times!

It's a shame to see her go but it's also the right move in my opinion. I do however, think that they'll need a smaller ship addition in the future to address the growing gap between what they had before and the upcoming super-size ship additions to the fleet. Having lost Adonia and now Oriana, it's a lot for Aurora and Arcadia to carry and I think they'll need another to bridge the gap.

6 hours ago, sammy sun said:

The aft vibration has always been an issue no matter how many times they tried to fix it. Dining in the Oriental Restaurant felt like sitting on top of a tumble dryer at times!

Couldn't agree more. The vibration is unacceptable in my view for a modern cruise ship. As for finding another to bridge the gap I personally can't see this happening, I think they are shedding the smaller ships, with the new ships coming they have an immense number of cabins to fill. I seem to remember predicting back in February that Oriana was on her way out but few agreed. This time I think Oceana will be next. As always only my opinion, lets wait and see. ;)

I don't understand why folk complain about the aft vibration - I think it is part of the ship's charm. 

With Adonia and Oriana going I believe they are refitting Aurora to make her an attractive proposition for sale followed by Oceana and Acadia all making way for bigger, more efficient vessels for the new market that does not remember the true ocean going ships.

8 hours ago, sammy sun said:

Oriana was the first ever ship I sailed on so I read the announcement with a heavy heart. That said, I do completetly understand their decision. I enjoyed two fantastic cruises aboard Oriana in the late 90s early 00s but as much as I had a great time on board, the more I cruised, the more I realised that for me, there were much better choices. 

The traditional elements of Oriana are lovely and it's certainly a long-way from where P&O seem to be heading with their new ship designs but there are so many issues with Oriana these days that I think they're making the right decision to let her go. The aft vibration has always been an issue no matter how many times they tried to fix it. Dining in the Oriental Restaurant felt like sitting on top of a tumble dryer at times!

It's a shame to see her go but it's also the right move in my opinion. I do however, think that they'll need a smaller ship addition in the future to address the growing gap between what they had before and the upcoming super-size ship additions to the fleet. Having lost Adonia and now Oriana, it's a lot for Aurora and Arcadia to carry and I think they'll need another to bridge the gap.

I hope you are proved right Sammy but I doubt it.  I don't think P&O will introduce any new (or second-hand) smaller ships to the fleet.  I feel their course is firmly towards larger, family-friendly ships.  They will hold on to Aurora & Arcadia for a few years with Oceana likely to go 'down-under' to join her three sisters before Iona's sister comes into service in 2022.  As each year passes, smaller ships become more & more a niche market.  Carnival will hope that the P&O pax who don't wish to sail on large ships will go to Cunard but I feel many will go to Fred - or if they keep improving their product - CMV.

53 minutes ago, afcandrew said:

Carnival will hope that the P&O pax who don't wish to sail on large ships will go to Cunard but I feel many will go to Fred - or if they keep improving their product - CMV.

I travel with CMV and Fred Olsen on a regular basis and there are certainly a lot of P&O's past passengers now travelling with both companies.

We cruised on Oriana last year-  was an good cruise best food we have had on P&O in last 10 years and good entertainment. Booked again for October and really looking forward to it! If they remove The other smaller ships from the fleet we too will probably not cruise with P&O. We have tried the larger ships but the cruise experience has been poor. Bad food, poor entertainment and arrogant rude passengers.

12 minutes ago, roncyn said:

we are also on Oriana starting on October 24th and looking forward to it. We generally travel on Aurora but decided to

have a change.

That's the one we're  on. Looks like a good itinerary.

Hi Lieutenant. Yes it does. We are looking forward to revisit Pompeii and Malta again. We have done a few cruises in Med but never been to Marseille.

We are both looking forward to it

Were going to Herculaneum this time as it's supposed to be even better than Pompeii. Would have liked to have  done the trip to Ostia Antica but it leaves at 8.00am & that's far too early for us so I keep checking the personaliser to see if they put on a later trip.

Despite my opinion that they do need another to bridge the gap, I have to agree that it doesn't look like they'll go down that route. I thought P&O had a real opportunity here to split their fleet properly between family-friendly and intimate/adult-only. Instead, they've done their usual in attempting to try to please everyone, which we all know, especially in the cruising world, is impossible.

There are so many different cruise lines to choose from these days that P&O, in my opinion, need to nail down exactly what they'r about. Royal Caribbean portray a clear message as to who they are and what they do well. P&O don't. They hammer away at the "best for British" line but in my opinion, what they really need to do is to differentiate that further by splitting the fleet into two different entities. That would enable them to build ships truly fit for the purpose they were aiming for, rather than trying to create one-size-fits-all builds.

As always, just my opinion but I feel it's a good opportunity missed here and another example of their poor organisation in recent years.

Hello Lieutenant. We have looked at your suggestion and the pictures have given us food for thought on which excursion to take. Like you to me 8am is still the middle of the night and so always look for later trips.