HthrEdmndsn

Hygiene

A few months ago, in a discussion about 'excellent' scores for cabin stewards, I stated that I didn't give my steward top marks for a variety of reasons. One of which was that he left my nightwear out sometimes. I acknowledged that it was trivial, and that on it's own would not have merited a downgrading. I'm not getting into any discussion about that.

However, many responded by saying that they put their nightwear into the bedside drawer. I am the only one who finds that disgusting? The idea that people find it acceptable to place garments which have been worn into a confined space such as a drawer astounding. Especially as following passengers use the same drawer for make up, or medication or anything really. Anything I have worn is either in the wash basket or left out to air. I would never dream of stuffing worn garments into a drawer.

Am I on my own here?

Well I don't wear clean nightwear every day at home & I put it under the pillow when I make the bed. However I never leave clothes of any sort out in cabin to get in the way of the cabin steward being able to clean  so I do put it in the top drawer with my make up & other bits & pieces. I should add that I don't wear my pyjamas much on a cruise as I am inclined to wear the tshirt that I've worn in the day & then put it in the dirty laundry case.

I don't leave anything personal lying around in the cabin.  Firstly I don't want to make extra work for the cabin steward and secondly I don't like the idea of a stranger touching my clothes..  On our first cruise I was shocked to find my new nightgown spread on the bed with a towel animal head wearing my prescription sunglasses which I had left in their case beside the bed.  I wasn't amused!  Since then everything goes in a drawer.  I'm sure there are worse things put into the drawers than my worn once or twice night wear.

Just now, smtcan said:

I don't leave anything personal lying around in the cabin.  Firstly I don't want to make extra work for the cabin steward and secondly I don't like the idea of a stranger touching my clothes..  On our first cruise I was shocked to find my new nightgown spread on the bed with a towel animal head wearing my prescription sunglasses which I had left in their case beside the bed.  I wasn't amused!  Since then everything goes in a drawer.  I'm sure there are worse things put into the drawers than my worn once or twice night wear.

Well I certainly wouldn't want to ingest anything that had been on the same surface as your once or twice worn nightwear. But as I keep my meds in that same drawer that is exactly what I'm doing. My meds have to be taken first thing an hour before eating so it is the logical place to keep them.

On every cruise I have been on I have always lined draws and shelves with tissue paper. At least it helps bit. I don’t like the open wardrobes on the newer ships either, always next to the bathroom and who knows what the cabin steward catches with dirty linen etc when cleaning. 

Hopefully i have read this topic right!

3 minutes ago, Pesky Pirate said:

On every cruise I have been on I have always lined draws and shelves with tissue paper. At least it helps bit. I don’t like the open wardrobes on the newer ships either, always next to the bathroom and who knows what the cabin steward catches with dirty linen etc when cleaning. 

Hopefully i have read this topic right!

You have it exactly right. It's a hygiene thing. Not about allowing the steward to clean. Or about them touching nightwear.

I am very fussy. I always clean the drawers before I put any clothes in them. Yes it's a hygiene issue. Who knows what's been put in the drawers by people who aren't particularly fussy. I don't like the walk in wardrobes either it has always seemed odd to me that the suites always have them and balcony cabins have proper wardrobes. The one thing I did like about the Oriana was that the suite had proper wardrobes. 

The packets are in contact with the drawer. Your hands are then in contact with the packets and blister pack. The pills are extracted from the pack into your hand. Hand then in contact with pill. I've never managed to get pill directly from blister pack into mouth without using hands.

I put my nightwear into one of the bedside drawers, folded.  Not sure but think I normally use the bottom drawer as opposed to the top.  Can't really get worked up on this topic though - 20+ cruises and never been ill, so doubt there is a huge issue of 'contamination'.

The thought of folding sweaty, warm damp clobber and putting it into a drawer is 'doing my head in'. Do people seriously do this. Surely it needs to 'air' at least before being folded?

Rant over

I visit a pound shop to purchase plastic containers to keep any medication / first aid in, plus pop up laundry basket & anti- bacterial wipes.  Job done 👍 for under a fiver. 

Having worked in an Hotel belonging to one of the chains, things which have been found in the kettles are a bigger worry 😱 that's another story. 

20 minutes ago, TrentAnn said:

I visit a pound shop to purchase plastic containers to keep any medication / first aid in, plus pop up laundry basket & anti- bacterial wipes.  Job done 👍 for under a fiver. 

Having worked in an Hotel belonging to one of the chains, things which have been found in the kettles are a bigger worry 😱 that's another story. 

👍

1 hour ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

The thought of folding sweaty, warm damp clobber and putting it into a drawer is 'doing my head in'. Do people seriously do this. Surely it needs to 'air' at least before being folded?

Rant over

By the time I am showered and ready to leave the cabin, my nightwear is well aired.  BTW, I do not put them in the bedside drawer, more likely on a shelf in the closet or, on Celebrity, the over the bed cabinet.  No need to rant at me!

15 minutes ago, smtcan said:

By the time I am showered and ready to leave the cabin, my nightwear is well aired.  BTW, I do not put them in the bedside drawer, more likely on a shelf in the closet or, on Celebrity, the over the bed cabinet.  No need to rant at me!

My rants are entirely confined to those utilising the bedside drawers.

I do a pound shop run as well pop up bin, coat hangers, room spry, (for the bathroom) plastic freezer bags, forallsorts of things,including medication, sun glass repair kit, if I have lost the last on, watch battery’s , small screwdriver.and of cause the anti bac wipes.my night things go under the bed in the suit case I use as a draw. We are are all different.

as for kettles, I read a artical in a travel mag about those, I try and forget that and just trust my luck, nobody has passed urine in it

2 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Rant over

I don't know why you think everyone's nightwear is damp & sweaty.  I keep the aircon very cool in my cabin and wake quite fresh & dry thank you.

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

I don't know why you think everyone's nightwear is damp & sweaty.  I keep the aircon very cool in my cabin and wake quite fresh & dry thank you.

Depends on what they have been doing........

the aircon might have broken down..... 🤪

14 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

You will all be taking your own cushions next just in case you want to see on a chair. I can’t believe this topic, what do you do when you go shopping in the supermarket, wear plastic gloves?

No.I'm not stupid. But I do wash my hands before eating anything. Seen the reports on what's been found on the handles of shopping trolleys?

If I planned on sitting naked on a chair I would certainly take my own cushions. Wouldn't want to inflict any following passengers with anything I may leave behind. Seems others are not so fussy.

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

When I was young, yes a long time ago, there was no food packaging in shops (we didn't have supermarkets) everything came from the shelf, cold slab or bin. We didn't have wipes, spray antiseptics, toilet cleaners, oven cleaners, washing machines, freezers. I sat on seats that others had used, wore hand me down clothes, ate everything that was put in front of me. Was shouted at by teachers at school, caned on several occasions and introduced to the slipper on several occasions but still respected the teachers. By todays standards I don't know how I have survived.  

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

14 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

When I was young, yes a long time ago, there was no food packaging in shops (we didn't have supermarkets) everything came from the shelf, cold slab or bin. We didn't have wipes, spray antiseptics, toilet cleaners, oven cleaners, washing machines, freezers. I sat on seats that others had used, wore hand me down clothes, ate everything that was put in front of me. Was shouted at by teachers at school, caned on several occasions and introduced to the slipper on several occasions but still respected the teachers. By todays standards I don't know how I have survived.  

An awful lot of people didn't. Infant mortality rates have plummeted in the last 75 years. People are also living healthier, longer lives because they aren't coping with diseases and problems left over from childhood illnesses.

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

2 minutes ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

An awful lot of people didn't. Infant mortality rates have plummeted in the last 75 years. People are also living healthier, longer lives because they aren't coping with diseases and problems left over from childhood problems.

But I am only in my 60’s and I can relate to what OWT said, it is because people use all these antibacterial wipes and cleaners that we are no longer able to fight diseases. I don’t think we need to go back 75years. My kids in their 30’s & 40’s have survived and we didn’t have the antibacterial cleaners then for me to use. The only item that was sterilised was the baby bottle for the first few months.