1 hour ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

An awful lot of people didn't. Infant mortality rates have plummeted in the last 75 years. People are also living healthier, longer lives because they aren't coping with diseases and problems left over from childhood illnesses.

Not sure what infant mortality rates have to do with what I said. We also survived WW2 and all the shortages and hardships that came with it such as rationing, yet we are the ones living longer. Surely the reason for living longer is because doctors have diagnosed and conquered some of the old killers such as TB, respiratory problems, some forms of cancer and several others. Be interesting in 20 years time to see the predicted life expectancy. I for one won't be here to see the answer.  

it does make me chuckle all this fuss, several studies have shown that our antiseptic city lives have caused increases in asthma and other respiritory complaints over and above the problems of air quality and the over prescribing of antibiotics are causing all sorts of problems. studies showed that individuals in rural areas particularly farming communities were far healthier and much more resistant to illness than their city dwelling counterparts as they were exposed to far more bacteria etc and build up a natural resistance.  the vacinne for smallpox was developed from antibodies from a milkmaid who got cowpox from working with animals and her natural immunity resulted in many a life saved.

i am all for sensible cleanliness but people do take it to extremes mainly driven by the constant adverts promoting the germ killing abilities of inumerable products. soap and water will sufice in most cases. antibacterial this and that are not needed hot soapy water is more than adequate.

6 hours ago, mitch said:

it does make me chuckle all this fuss, several studies have shown that our antiseptic city lives have caused increases in asthma and other respiritory complaints over and above the problems of air quality and the over prescribing of antibiotics are causing all sorts of problems. studies showed that individuals in rural areas particularly farming communities were far healthier and much more resistant to illness than their city dwelling counterparts as they were exposed to far more bacteria etc and build up a natural resistance.  the vacinne for smallpox was developed from antibodies from a milkmaid who got cowpox from working with animals and her natural immunity resulted in many a life saved.

i am all for sensible cleanliness but people do take it to extremes mainly driven by the constant adverts promoting the germ killing abilities of inumerable products. soap and water will sufice in most cases. antibacterial this and that are not needed hot soapy water is more than adequate.

I agree largely.

However, I reserve the right to be wary of stranger's dirty "intimate apparel".

6 hours ago, mitch said:

Agree with you Mitch, soap & hot water being the best form of cleanliness - it's all about people using them though, as we've all no doubt witnessed the 'washers' or 'walkers' after using the toilets. 

Something else I've noticed - when pax come back onboard after time ashore and head straight to the buffet without any hand washing, then rucksacks & bags being placed on the tables. Dread to think where they have been during the day. 

On 7/5/2018 at 12:57 PM, TrentAnn said:

Agree with you Mitch, soap & hot water being the best form of cleanliness - it's all about people using them though, as we've all no doubt witnessed the 'washers' or 'walkers' after using the toilets. 

Something else I've noticed - when pax come back onboard after time ashore and head straight to the buffet without any hand washing, then rucksacks & bags being placed on the tables. Dread to think where they have been during the day. 

Yes of course soap and water is sufficient. However it's obvious some people avoid it at all cost otherwise the NV wouldn't go around the ship like wild fire. I see a lot of things on a cruise I'd rather not see thank you.

I really can't see what's disgusting about it, if you find something like using a bedside draw for nightwear disgusting I wonder how you manage to go on any holiday. 

Where do you draw the line? Do you not use the cutlery or the sun beds because others have possibly picked them up and put them down again, or layed on a bed in their costumes etc.

Me thinks we need to be realistic.

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

I really can't see what's disgusting about it, if you find something like using a bedside draw for nightwear disgusting I wonder how you manage to go on any holiday. 

Where do you draw the line? Do you not use the cutlery or the sun beds because others have possibly picked them up and put them down again, or layed on a bed in their costumes etc.

HLM.

Just being  sensible about things always helps I find. You can only do your own bit to stay healthy on a ship.

The first port of call for anyone being sick is the nearest toilet? not always the one in their rooms ,so avoiding public toilets for me is the best thing I can do to stay safe.

One Young lady was so paranoid about getting sick on Ventura over Christmas she tried to have the lift to herself, she was really put out when we got in, turning her back on us, others were refusing to go into busy rooms on departure.

We take it if the drawers eat look clean they are clean, no checking the pillows and mattresses if the covers are clean that's OK by us...Davybe

2 hours ago, HLM said:

HLM.

We are talking about USED nightwear. That had been in close contact with a person's naked nether regions for a prolonged time. Same as underwear. You you eat something that has been in contact?

I have never read such a load of old rubbish since the last thread on this topic.  I am not aware that any normal viruses can be passed on through perspiration, and if I was the type of person that worried about lurking germs in any hotel/cruise ship drawers, then I think I would probably stay at home and avoid all social contact.

34 minutes ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

We are talking about USED nightwear. That had been in close contact with a person's naked nether regions for a prolonged time. Same as underwear. You you eat something that has been in contact?

Someone has layed on a sunbed or chairs etc in just shorts or bakini's etc, do you avoid them? 

If I wear a suit for the evening meal, I frequently change into something lighter afterwards, I then rehang the said suit in the wardrobe to use again are you saying that's disgusting too? If so, like I said you've got a bit of an issue and I'd suggest it limits you to very few holidays.

As Davybe says it's about being sensible.

HLM.

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. I'm talking about clothing that has been in close and intimate items of apparel that has been in close and intimate contact with a person's private parts. I DO NOT WANT TO INGEST ANYTHING THAT HAS BEEN WITH THAT. Or put near my eyes via makeup.

As for putting worn clothing into a wardrobe without a thorough airing to rid of perspiration and food smells, that's up to you.

20 minutes ago, HLM said:

Someone has layed on a sunbed or chairs etc in just shorts or bakini's etc, do you avoid them? 

You make an excellent point HLM. Personally I have never seen sun beds or their mattresses being cleaned, just stacked up at night and yet over the course of the weeks and months I am sure sweating bare flesh making contact with them must leave quite a horrid residue. 

3 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

You make an excellent point HLM. Personally I have never seen sun beds or their mattresses being cleaned, just stacked up at night and yet over the course of the weeks and months I am sure sweating bare flesh making contact with them must leave quite a horrid residue. 

Also build up of sun cream, and what about those who wee in the pool so have pee on their bathers then sit on not only sun beds but other seats around the pool, some of which have padded seats.....

1 hour ago, Pesky Pirate said:

Also build up of sun cream, and what about those who wee in the pool so have pee on their bathers then sit on not only sun beds but other seats around the pool, some of which have padded seats.....

oh stop it pesky your just winding it up now lol. i have to say this thread has been hilarious. if any of it were true cruise ships would be killing half their clients every cruise.

i was in the army and at times we would be on excersice for weeks on end living in a hole in the ground basically in the same clothes occasionally changing socks with little or no washing facilities and out of thousands taking part i never heard of anyone falling ill. so the odd item of clothing forgotten in a drawer or under a bed aint going to cause a plague.

but keep going its cheered me up no end this week.

2 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. I'm talking about clothing that has been in close and intimate items of apparel that has been in close and intimate contact with a person's private parts.

So shorts and bikinis aren't close to a persons private parts then?

Come on admit it you've got your dates wrong, surely this should've been an April 1st thread.

HLM.

Just now, Pesky Pirate said:

I must admit to being on Arcadia once an this chaps bits didn’t quite cut into his shorts .... I don’t think I need to explain what was visible....

Oh no !! ... too much information 😂😂

Please can we all stop now. I'm starting to feel queasy. I'm not one for lying on a sunbed, but now I think I'll give them a wide berth. Actually I'm not sure I really fancy going on another cruise. 😱

I don't worry about sun beds as I always sit on towels. My OH says that on his early morning walks around the decks on P & O he often sees the sun beds being put out & hosed down.

22 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. I'm talking about clothing that has been in close and intimate items of apparel that has been in close and intimate contact with a person's private parts. I DO NOT WANT TO INGEST ANYTHING THAT HAS BEEN WITH THAT. Or put near my eyes via makeup.

As for putting worn clothing into a wardrobe without a thorough airing to rid of perspiration and food smells, that's up to you.

I think that the Saying "Eat my Short's' is not meant to be taken literally , just my opinion:lol:.....Davybe

On 7/3/2018 at 6:57 PM, HthrEdmndsn said:

An awful lot of people didn't. Infant mortality rates have plummeted in the last 75 years. People are also living healthier, longer lives because they aren't coping with diseases and problems left over from childhood illnesses.

I doubt any of the above could be attributed to storing used nightwear in cruise cabin drawers though, and I have sneaking suspicion that the elimination of childhood diseases owes far more to immunisation than any use of anti bacterial wipes.

I have looked on while this thread has developed and think that it is mostly about opinions which can vary wildly as to what is clean or not.

I think the OP expected more support for their opinion but, because most people are not of the obsessive type, did not get it.

My original thoughts were slightly askew from the way the thread developed. I don't see any designated use for certain areas of a cabin being stated when you get in there, okay certain parts are unstated such as "don't pee in the kettle" (don't understand why you would want to btw) but the rest is down to whatever your opinion might be. Opinions cannot be right or wrong except when they are stating facts which can be right or wrong.

A drawer at the side of my bed can be used for whatever I want to use it for. Any bacteria or virus in it will usually die within a few hours.

So, for as long as I continue cruising it will continue to be my dirty underpants drawer.

RayO