Davybe

P&O's new drink packages?

Limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day.

But includes soft drinks, water, speciality coffees and teas.

Wonder if it will see the end of Costa Card?

Also, all adults in cabins must purchase the package, as on other cruise lines,  presumably to prevent sharing which seems fair.

It will be of no use to me, I don't spend anywhere near £40pd myself and my wife drinks very little, maybe two or three drinks at dinner over 14 days and the occasional cocktail, although more likely a mocktail, and as we both have to  sign up for the package, then at  £1118.60 over 2 weeks it really is a non starter.

However my concern now is that drink prices on P&O will start to escalate rapidly as they seek to encourage a high uptake and increase their profits even more.

Edited by towny44

Just now, towny44 said:

It will be of no use to me, I don't spend anywhere near £40pd myself and my wife drinks very little, maybe two or three drinks at dinner over 14 days and the occasional cocktail, although more likely a mocktail, and as we both have to  sign up for the package, then at  £1118.60 over 2 weeks it really is a non starter.

Unless they raise their prices and fetch them in line with other cruise lines. 

The non alcoholic package looks really good! £20 per day my husband easily spends that on coke so perfect for us! on board azura in december and if they are still doing it we will definatley use it.

There is a hot drink package so think it will be the end of the costa card

£39.95 pp I think is very expensive and when converted into dollars brings it in line with the large American cruise lines, and it only covers drinks up to £6.95 after which you pay for them less 20%. Personally, I think that Fred Olsen at £15, Cruise and Maritime £17 and Costa £18.50 per day puts things into prospective. In the majority of cases they all use the same brand of beers and spirits so whats the excuse for such high prices!! As always, just my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

£39.95 pp I think is very expensive and when converted into dollars brings it in line with the large American cruise lines, and it only covers drinks up to £6.95 after which you pay for them less 20%. Personally, I think that Fred Olsen at £15, Cruise and Maritime £17 and Costa £18.50 per day puts things into prospective. In the majority of cases they all use the same brand of beers and spirits so whats the excuse for such high prices!! As always, just my opinion.

Princess cruises alcoholic drinks package is nearly $70pppd so with current exchange rates considerably dearer than P&O.

3 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day.

But includes soft drinks, water, speciality coffees and teas.

Wonder if it will see the end of Costa Card?

Also, all adults in cabins must purchase the package, as on other cruise lines,  presumably to prevent sharing which seems fair.

As always people ruin things for the rest of us, when Celebrity brought out the drink packages ,included in some fares people were trying to buy drink's for friends and relatives who did not have a package.If caught they took away your package ,with no compensation.

Sad that we cannot trust one another to be honest...Davybe

1 hour ago, sinbad10 said:

Princess cruises alcoholic drinks package is nearly $70pppd so with current exchange rates considerably dearer than P&O.

In fairness P&O  drink's are quite reasonably priced (At The Moment) Cunard and Celebrity prices are Eye Watering....Davybe

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

In fairness P&O  drink's are quite reasonably priced (At The Moment) Cunard and Celebrity prices are Eye Watering....Davybe

doesnt really matter regarding P&Os drinks packages to Princess. Yes individual drinks on Princess are more expensive but you buy same drinks therefore for the same product on P&O for a 14nt  cruise for a cple the drinks package would cost £1120 the package on Princess for same drinks would cost approx (currency fluctuation) £1500 for same drinks so considerably more on Princess but you get bigger spirit measures but does that really matter.

Edited by sinbad10

9 hours ago, Davybe said:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/drinks_package

You will need to click on the link to view.

But the top priced one will cost £40 pp per day. with an upper limit of 15 drinks.

Not good value for us but some may find it worth the money....Davybe

I have read the link and do not think it would  be a good buy for us. We always buy the Costa card and I only drink wine with dinner and my husband a drink before bed. Not good value for us. Our drink bill over a two week cruise would be about £300 and as we often get at least that in on board credit we use that to pay for our drinks. Do you think OBC will now be a thing of the past?

7 hours ago, 2torts said:

No use to us - we don't drink anything like that amount. We'll  stick to the Costa card which we share as 1 lasts us for a week.

I have a suspicion that the drinks package will see the end of the Costa card.

Mire importantly will it see the end of 'free' cake in the Costa outlet 😐

We've already bought one for our October cruise so hopefully they won't phase them out before then. I do like their carrot cake & my OH likes the prawn rolls for a light lunch.

I don't think we'll be buying it. We both drink wine at dinner so will continue to buy the wine package, I presume that will still be available. Apart from that I think we'll just pay for drinks as we buy them. 

14 hours ago, cruise addict said:

I have read the link and do not think it would  be a good buy for us. We always buy the Costa card and I only drink wine with dinner and my husband a drink before bed. Not good value for us. Our drink bill over a two week cruise would be about £300 and as we often get at least that in on board credit we use that to pay for our drinks. Do you think OBC will now be a thing of the past?

No they would IMO only change that if they included a drink package as part of the deal,They may give us a choice of one or the other....Davybe

10 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

I would imagine it would be very complicated and confusing to have several packages running together. I can see, that if this trial works for p and o, the others will be discarded.

Other cruise lines seem to manage it OK, but then again it's P&O ??

The Costa card would remain ,and the Wine Package vouchers also, the Drinks package would be done electronically via your room card,You may have to present both cards when you order...Davybe

The cruise cards now on P&O seem to have lots of details on them which drink waiters and wine waiters can read on their handheld devices, from this I assume that various packages could be loaded onto your cruise card, just as RCI and Celebrity do, and the waiter will know what can be freely charged against the card and what needs paying for and a signed receipt provided.  Amazing what modern technology can do now.

But I still worry that the end result will be higher drink prices, although they will need a massive increase before we could drink our way through £1120 on a 2 week cruise!!

Just now, towny44 said:

The cruise cards now on P&O seem to have lots of details on them which drink waiters and wine waiters can read on their handheld devices, from this I assume that various packages could be loaded onto your cruise card, just as RCI and Celebrity do, and the waiter will know what can be freely charged against the card and what needs paying for and a signed receipt provided.  Amazing what modern technology can do now.

But I still worry that the end result will be higher drink prices, although they will need a massive increase before we could drink our way through £1120 on a 2 week cruise!!

I was thinking more about the passengers being confused.  The bar stewards will soon get to grips with the system, and as you say the technology will deal with most of it. I can see some passengers having a 'discussion' with staff over what their package covers.

However I took a package on Celebrity shortly after it was introduced and I was constantly having to point out the sticker on the card when they produced a slip for me to sign, which then necessitated another trip to the bar till with my card. Even then I still needed to visit reception to have charges removed despite not having signed a slip. But that was 8 or 9 years since and technology has moved on.

1 minute ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

It will be interesting to see what the take up is on Azura when it's trialed next week. On another page I frequent there are over 100 comments and only a few who like the idea. Lets see how long it lasts or how long before the price comes down.

I think a lot like the idea. It's the cost of it, and whether it's value for money for them that people are querying.