Jump to content
Davybe

P&O's new drink packages?

Recommended Posts

Just now, *Dancing Queen* said:

Sorry but I don't see anyone sneering or looking down on anyone if they choose to eat on the ship, what Tally said is a lot of people like to get their monies worth and I happen to agree with her.

I disagree. That's all I got from his/her post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not go for their package for a slightly different reason. I see that doubles are not allowed and that there is a £6.95 limit. This for me would rule nearly everything on the G&T menu and a single measure just doesn't give me any taste.

RayO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Question is would the wine waiter be around conveniently your table to serve wine 4 times an twice for your Tia Maria/Baileys as they will not allow doubles on drinks package in one serving. That means the wine waiter has to be available to fetch alcoholic drinks for you 5 times during the course of dinner. I have been lucky in the past to see him/her once and even when ordering a bottle of wine never seen again and have to pour my own wine. P&O would have to increase number of wine waiters (very unlikely) or they would not be around to order as much as you say you drink therefore increasing their profits (more than likely).

Good point sinbad and the answer is no the wine waiter wouldn't be conveniently around to serve me or anyone else, having said that though we purchased a drinks package on Celebrity a few years ago and the wine waiters in the restaurant were excellent at keeping the glasses topped up.

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not about how or when, or were you eat that has no connection to a drinks package, how

people spend the time on a cruise is up to them we are all on holiday, and enjoy different things, what is wrong with going back to the shipfor lunch, you may have had enough walking around, or staying in the port having lunch, whatever makes you happy.

some people a drinks package is worth the money, to others it’s not worth it simple, get it or don’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

I disagree. That's all I got from his/her post.

I think you read it as you wanted to. I'm quite sure a lot of people go back to the ship to have lunch and don't abuse the 'bought and paid for' food. I'm not snobby I just find people who pile their plates up with food and waste it simply because they've 'bought and paid' for it just to make sure they get their money's worth a little annoying. As to those who have a drink in both hands because they've 'bought and paid' for them well I'd probably best keep my thoughts on those to myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Question is would the wine waiter be around conveniently your table to serve wine 4 times an twice for your Tia Maria/Baileys as they will not allow doubles on drinks package in one serving. That means the wine waiter has to be available to fetch alcoholic drinks for you 5 times during the course of dinner. I have been lucky in the past to see him/her once and even when ordering a bottle of wine never seen again and have to pour my own wine. P&O would have to increase number of wine waiters (very unlikely) or they would not be around to order as much as you say you drink therefore increasing their profits (more than likely).

That's a very good point. Last time we were on P&O my husband had to fetch my wine from the wine chiller some 10 foot away from us otherwise I would have finished our evening meal before I had a second glass. We couldn't even see where the wine waiter was he had so many tables to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

I disagree. That's all I got from his/her post.

I just think you like to argue you have repeatedly argued on another nonsensical post about the laughable storage of "nightwear" and now you are gunning for an argument by being rude to people you dont even know on this thread and you are doing exactly the same on another cruise forum under a different name but too obvious not to be the same person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

I just think you like to argue you have repeatedly argued on another nonsensical post about the laughable storage of "nightwear" and now you are gunning for an argument by being rude to people you dont even know on this thread and you are doing exactly the same on another cruise forum under a different name but too obvious not to be the same person.

Never denied being on two different forums with different names. So what! Doesn't make me wrong, or right.

We are actively encouraged to use different passwords, user names etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you drink and need or want a drinks package of some description, you decide that you prefer to eat on the ship or not. What does it matter. It’s each individuals choice and just because you eat on the boat in one port doesn’t mean that they do so all the time. Mind you the way cruises are reducing times in port sometimes you don’t have time to do sightseeing and eat....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We seem to have gone slightly off topic which is fine and happens !! but to get back to the original topic it would appear the drinks package will not be popular so I wonder where P&O will go from here if it doesn't prove a success.
Personally I still think it is a good deal but obviously my opinion isn't shared by others which again is fine we are all different and at the end of the day it is all about personal choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:
We seem to have gone slightly off topic which is fine and happens !! but to get back to the original topic it would appear the drinks package will not be popular so I wonder where P&O will go from here if it doesn't prove a success.
Personally I still think it is a good deal but obviously my opinion isn't shared by others which again is fine we are all different and at the end of the day it is all about personal choice.

It's a bit touch and go with me. Counting proper coffee, soft drinks during the day,  pre dinner wine, wine with dinner, post show g & t or two. Bottles of water for tours etc. It will probably depend on whether or not peninsular discount is applied to the package. On another forum some are saying that the discount is applied to the present wine package, whilst others are adamant it is not. So we will have wait and see.

Of course they are just running a trial, it might never happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Never denied being on two different forums with different names. So what! Doesn't make me wrong, or right.

We are actively encouraged to use different passwords, user names etc.

Having thought more about your comment to me about being snobby. Aren't you the person who booked an inside/outside/balcony and expected your poor over worked cabin steward to bring you lemon slices for your water. That to me is more snobby behaviour. If I want a butler I pay for a suite and quite honestly I'm less demanding in spite of wanting my money's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

It's a bit touch and go with me. Counting proper coffee, soft drinks during the day,  pre dinner wine, wine with dinner, post show g & t or two. Bottles of water for tours etc. It will probably depend on whether or not peninsular discount is applied to the package. On another forum some are saying that the discount is applied to the present wine package, whilst others are adamant it is not. So we will have wait and see.

Of course they are just running a trial, it might never happen!

 

The P & O web site clearly states that loyalty discount will not be applied to wine packages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2torts said:

 

The P & O web site clearly states that loyalty discount will not be applied to wine packages.

Although I never intend to buy a wine or AI drinks package I cannot see the logic in this, if drinks bought outside a package would benefit from the loyalty discount then why not drink packages?  This just seems to be discriminating against loyalty members, but this is just one further instance of P&O showing their disinterest in passengers and their loyalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2torts said:

 

The P & O web site clearly states that loyalty discount will not be applied to wine packages.

In fairness you do get a small discount per bottle if you buy 6 or 12 ,but you are correct in saying your Loyalty Discount doers not apply    Davybe

Edited by Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, towny44 said:

Although I never intend to buy a wine or AI drinks package I cannot see the logic in this, if drinks bought outside a package would benefit from the loyalty discount then why not drink packages?  This just seems to be discriminating against loyalty members, but this is just one further instance of P&O showing their disinterest in passengers and their loyalty.

I assume they would not to like to give a double discount ,not really fair to not apply the discounts until your OBC is used up...Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ikea Logistics said:

The problem i see is that other cruise lines namely MSC do a prepaid drinks package which equals 25 pounds a day which includes most cocktails water any size and beers coffees and ice cream and snacks.

 

Each cruise line has a different drinks package, even cruise lines owned by the same group,I think it NCL does not include water? Each cruise line has it's own price list for drinks ,and it's own drink packages...Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2018 at 11:39 AM, Oldworldtraveller said:

£39.95 pp I think is very expensive and when converted into dollars brings it in line with the large American cruise lines, and it only covers drinks up to £6.95 after which you pay for them less 20%. Personally, I think that Fred Olsen at £15, Cruise and Maritime £17 and Costa £18.50 per day puts things into prospective. In the majority of cases they all use the same brand of beers and spirits so whats the excuse for such high prices!! As always, just my opinion.

I completely agree with you on this OWT. When I first saw the headline, I opened the link hoping so much that they would get this right and in my opinion, they've once again failed to take advantage of an opportunity that has been staring them in the face for a long time. So many people have been calling for P&O to give this a try and when they finally do, it's half-hearted, much like most of what they do these days.

The price is, in my opinion, expensive. I understand that large American lines do compare price wise but this was an opportunity for P&O to hammer home the message of value for money to the British public they're targeting and badly in need of considering the increase in beds to fill come the arrival of Iona.

Fred Olsen might not be targeting the same audience these days as P&O but they do appeal heavily to the British public. They get so many things right that P&O don't and at least Fred Olsen are clear with who they're targeting and how they're doing it. P&O go back and forth more times than a tennis ball at Wimbledon!

The fact that it only applies to drinks priced at £6.95 is protrayed as a positive when in reality it's nothing special at all. The t&c's of it are exhausting, as are the limitations. Another example of this is not being able to purchase the package after 2 days on board. What if you decide after a few days that it's actually a good idea for you???

They've had so long to plan for this and somehow they still manage to find ways to take the shine off it. I won't say "mess it up" as I think that would be a little too harsh, but it's certainly nothing to write home about and given the time they've had and the advantage of watching others trial such packages for so long, they were in a position to really get it right and they've flopped in my opinion. Of course it is just my opinion and I understand others may be a fan of it.

I just think that if P&O were a school report, they would forever find "could do better" at the top of the page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sammy sun said:

I completely agree with you on this OWT. When I first saw the headline, I opened the link hoping so much that they would get this right and in my opinion, they've once again failed to take advantage of an opportunity that has been staring them in the face for a long time. So many people have been calling for P&O to give this a try and when they finally do, it's half-hearted, much like most of what they do these days.

The price is, in my opinion, expensive. I understand that large American lines do compare price wise but this was an opportunity for P&O to hammer home the message of value for money to the British public they're targeting and badly in need of considering the increase in beds to fill come the arrival of Iona.

Fred Olsen might not be targeting the same audience these days as P&O but they do appeal heavily to the British public. They get so many things right that P&O don't and at least Fred Olsen are clear with who they're targeting and how they're doing it. P&O go back and forth more times than a tennis ball at Wimbledon!

The fact that it only applies to drinks priced at £6.95 is protrayed as a positive when in reality it's nothing special at all. The t&c's of it are exhausting, as are the limitations. Another example of this is not being able to purchase the package after 2 days on board. What if you decide after a few days that it's actually a good idea for you???

They've had so long to plan for this and somehow they still manage to find ways to take the shine off it. I won't say "mess it up" as I think that would be a little too harsh, but it's certainly nothing to write home about and given the time they've had and the advantage of watching others trial such packages for so long, they were in a position to really get it right and they've flopped in my opinion. Of course it is just my opinion and I understand others may be a fan of it.

I just think that if P&O were a school report, they would forever find "could do better" at the top of the page.

Certainly doesnt compare with Princess cruises drinks packages which has been running for at least 5yrs. Princess cruises charge $68.99pppd so if you take that into account with currency variation is approximately £53pppd considerably more than P&O and on a 14 nt cruise for a cple would be an extra £364 which nobody can argue that is a considerable higher amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Certainly doesnt compare with Princess cruises drinks packages which has been running for at least 5yrs. Princess cruises charge $68.99pppd so if you take that into account with currency variation is approximately £53pppd considerably more than P&O and on a 14 nt cruise for a cple would be an extra £364 which nobody can argue that is a considerable higher amount.

I agree with you on that sinbad, it is a considerably higher amount but what are P&O trying to achieve with this drinks package trial and have they considered their target market in doing so? Look at the success Fred Olsen have achieved with their packages and the clear, consice plan they've put in place for appealing to their target market.

P&O do not have this structure in place, or it wouldnt' appear so as an outsider looking in.

You would expect Princess to be at this sort of price bracket to run parallel to rival leading American lines. P&O however are targeting the British market and the first thing many people will think when reading about the trial is that the drink prices on board P&O aren't too bad but that this trial appears expensive, especially when you consider the full terms and conditions applied to it, and even more so when compared to Fred Olsen, another line looking to appeal to the British market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sammy sun said:

I agree with you on that sinbad, it is a considerably higher amount but what are P&O trying to achieve with this drinks package trial and have they considered their target market in doing so? Look at the success Fred Olsen have achieved with their packages and the clear, consice plan they've put in place for appealing to their target market.

P&O do not have this structure in place, or it wouldnt' appear so as an outsider looking in.

You would expect Princess to be at this sort of price bracket to run parallel to rival leading American lines. P&O however are targeting the British market and the first thing many people will think when reading about the trial is that the drink prices on board P&O aren't too bad but that this trial appears expensive, especially when you consider the full terms and conditions applied to it, and even more so when compared to Fred Olsen, another line looking to appeal to the British market.

Perhaps that is why they have possibly priced it higher because if it was cheaper on the lines of FO and the difference in clientele with no doubt a lot younger sector on P&O it might cause more drunkenness. We have seen large families spending the whole night in Manhattan on Azura and by the time the late show were very drunk and caused quiet a disturbance so I am sure P&O have this in mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Perhaps that is why they have possibly priced it higher because if it was cheaper on the lines of FO and the difference in clientele with no doubt a lot younger sector on P&O it might cause more drunkenness. We have seen large families spending the whole night in Manhattan on Azura and by the time the late show were very drunk and caused quiet a disturbance so I am sure P&O have this in mind

I agree that I think the potential for drinks packages to be abused would have been a factor in their thinking but they've addressed this issue in their terms and conditions of the trial policy. As you quite rightly say, P&O Cruises is targeted far more at families and speaking from experience, cruising as a family is an expensive travel option, especially during school holiday periods, therefore value for money is of even greater importance for those on a tight budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×