Davybe

P&O's new drink packages?

One 25 ml of spirit equals 1 unit and government/NHS guidelines are that you drink no more than 14 units a week where if you drank the full amount of 15 measures of spirit per day as per Ultimate Drinks Package that equals 105 units of alcohol in a week.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/alcohol-support/calculating-alcohol-units/#drinks-and-units

All of you seem to be missing the main issue. As a UK cruise line, P&O’s customers are essentially the same people that might otherwise choose to travel with Fred Olsen or Cruise & Maritime, where in each case the “All Inclusive” cost of alcoholic drinks bought on board by the glass is vastly less than P&O are proposing here with their trial. It is also daft to compare P&O’s prices with what American based cruise lines and other Carnival Group cruise lines might offer, that is a totally different customer base.

In addition to P&O, we have travelled with Fred Olsen and Cruise & Maritime, who both offer a very similar cruising experience to that offered by P&O and we have always taken advantage of their respective “All Inclusive” drinks packages. It is not that people like us are alcoholics, as some may infer but simply that by buying their drinks package, it enables us to budget more accurately for our on board spend. Some days we find we have gained a little, some days we haven’t but overall we generally find we have benefited by buying the package and will always do so, as long as the prices remains sensible.

Also, on the cruises we have been on, we have seen very little evidence of passengers being drunk. Maybe that’s because we always go on adults only vessels, so we don’t normally see the young adults travelling with their children, where the young parents’ lifestyles may involve the consumption of more alcohol than we are used to, such as one might see on shore in the pubs and bars on a Saturday night.

As an example of how nonsensical this £39.95 pricing level is, we are already booked on the Arcadia 2020 World cruise and if this proposed offer were available to us for that trip, for the 99 nights involved, it would cost us £7,910 overall, which is probably more than some people will be paying for the cruise itself, so that’s definitely a non runner for us!

So P&O, good on you for at last realising that an AI option might be a good idea but if you want anyone at all to buy it, you really need to get your pricing level down to no more than about 50% of what you are currently proposing.

1 hour ago, Occasional Cruiser said:

All of you seem to be missing the main issue. As a UK cruise line, P&O’s customers are essentially the same people that might otherwise choose to travel with Fred Olsen or Cruise & Maritime, where in each case the “All Inclusive” cost of alcoholic drinks bought on board by the glass is vastly less than P&O are proposing here with their trial. It is also daft to compare P&O’s prices with what American based cruise lines and other Carnival Group cruise lines might offer, that is a totally different customer base.

In addition to P&O, we have travelled with Fred Olsen and Cruise & Maritime, who both offer a very similar cruising experience to that offered by P&O and we have always taken advantage of their respective “All Inclusive” drinks packages. It is not that people like us are alcoholics, as some may infer but simply that by buying their drinks package, it enables us to budget more accurately for our on board spend. Some days we find we have gained a little, some days we haven’t but overall we generally find we have benefited by buying the package and will always do so, as long as the prices remains sensible.

Also, on the cruises we have been on, we have seen very little evidence of passengers being drunk. Maybe that’s because we always go on adults only vessels, so we don’t normally see the young adults travelling with their children, where the young parents’ lifestyles may involve the consumption of more alcohol than we are used to, such as one might see on shore in the pubs and bars on a Saturday night.

As an example of how nonsensical this £39.95 pricing level is, we are already booked on the Arcadia 2020 World cruise and if this proposed offer were available to us for that trip, for the 99 nights involved, it would cost us £7,910 overall, which is probably more than some people will be paying for the cruise itself, so that’s definitely a non runner for us!

So P&O, good on you for at last realising that an AI option might be a good idea but if you want anyone at all to buy it, you really need to get your pricing level down to no more than about 50% of what you are currently proposing.

Certainly dont agree that customers who cruise with P&O are same people who would cruise with Fred Olsen or Cruise & Maritime and with reference to the price of drinks package a lot of Brits including many who used to cruise with P&O and now cruise with Princess and their drinks package is a lot dearer than P&O and has been available for a number of years and have never considered reducing the price. I think P&O will trial it and see what the uptake is and will either leave it  as it is now or scrap it all together. What I can see is like Princess P&O might include free drinks package for early booking incentive but increase cruise fare so people think they are getting a good deal like they also do on Celebrity.

9 hours ago, Occasional Cruiser said:

Just to reiterate this isn't "all inclusive" it's a drinks package with restrictions, such as no more than15 alcoholic drinks in a 24hr period and only drinks to a maximum of £6.95.

HLM.

I do hope they don't catch on.  it just encourages people to drink too much.  we were on Azure trip where people were falling down drunk, were helped up by their mates and the waiters carried on serving them.  And hope they do not start including drinks in the price as not everyone wants to drink.  we like a bottle of wine with our evening meal but you can't choose a bottle of wine on these packages just a glass, no mention of the size so could be the smallest.

Do not think drinks packages per se would cause to an increase in drunkeness as they have been available for many years on Princess and all the cruises I have sailed with them never seen loutish drunken behaviour which I have seen on a P&O ship way before any drinks package was introduced.

18 hours ago, badmintongirl said:

I do hope they don't catch on.  it just encourages people to drink too much.  we were on Azure trip where people were falling down drunk, were helped up by their mates and the waiters carried on serving them.  And hope they do not start including drinks in the price as not everyone wants to drink.  we like a bottle of wine with our evening meal but you can't choose a bottle of wine on these packages just a glass, no mention of the size so could be the smallest.

Such a shame , some look on a drink package as a challenge, and others a good way to have a drink knowing the cost are fixed.

I would not buy one but have had and used them when included in the fare, seen one or two worse for wear but nothing that would offend anyone....Davybe

13 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Do not think drinks packages per se would cause to an increase in drunkeness as they have been available for many years on Princess and all the cruises I have sailed with them never seen loutish drunken behaviour which I have seen on a P&O ship way before any drinks package was introduced.

Do you think it is the People that P&O attract that are the problem ,not the drink package....Davybe

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

Do you think it is the People that P&O attract that are the problem ,not the drink package....Davybe

Putting it simply and sure to expect plenty of criticism the yes I do especially these last few years where it seems to have increased.

Having only cruised with Princess and P&O,  I've witnessed one behavioural problem.

Sailing from Southampton on Crown Princess, one evening two families travelling together had a 'domestic' on Lido deck resulting in them all being confined to their cabins with a guard outside until we reached Barcelona where they were offloaded. 

This incident hasn't affected my opinion of Princess who I enjoy cruising with.  Imagine most cruise lines must have their problems, of which we never hear about. 

Edited by TrentAnn

On 7/31/2018 at 9:18 PM, sinbad10 said:

Certainly dont agree that customers who cruise with P&O are same people who would cruise with Fred Olsen or Cruise & Maritime and with reference to the price of drinks package a lot of Brits including many who used to cruise with P&O and now cruise with Princess and their drinks package is a lot dearer than P&O and has been available for a number of years and have never considered reducing the price. I think P&O will trial it and see what the uptake is and will either leave it  as it is now or scrap it all together. What I can see is like Princess P&O might include free drinks package for early booking incentive but increase cruise fare so people think they are getting a good deal like they also do on Celebrity.

Sorry Sinbad10 but for once I disagree with you. From my personal experience I would say the mature customers that cruise P&O are exactly the same as those who would cruise with Fred Olsen and CMV as they offer an almost identical experience. Indeed on my last cruises with both those companies in the last 10 weeks I have met many ex P&O cruisers who are now regulars with Fred and CMV. Just my personal opinion.

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Sorry Sinbad10 but for once I disagree with you. From my personal experience I would say the mature customers that cruise P&O are exactly the same as those who would cruise with Fred Olsen and CMV as they offer an almost identical experience. Indeed on my last cruises with both those companies in the last 10 weeks I have met many ex P&O cruisers who are now regulars with Fred and CMV. Just my personal opinion.

Yes that may be but the ones you met are ex P&O and that is the reason why they have decamped to FO and CMV and my statement was with regards to the current cruisers that P&O seem to attract.

I must be cruising at the wrong time because I cannot recall seeing anyone on P&O who was obnoxiously drunk, whether they were old style cruisers or new breed ones.  Of course it might change with a drink package.

9 hours ago, towny44 said:

I must be cruising at the wrong time because I cannot recall seeing anyone on P&O who was obnoxiously drunk, whether they were old style cruisers or new breed ones.  Of course it might change with a drink package.

Hi Towny.

Are you an out of season cruiser like we are, we tend to avoid peak season ,for financial reasons ....Davybe

43 minutes ago, Davybe said:

Hi Towny.

Are you an out of season cruiser like we are, we tend to avoid peak season ,for financial reasons ....Davybe

Normally yes Davybe, but we have sailed in school holidays with family on a couple of occasions, and never seen anyone unpleasantly drunk.

Has anyone been on a cruise that had the new packages? I just wondered if they were proving popular as ir seems to have gone a bit quiet on the subject even on the P & O website.

I realise I am jumping on to a topic from 2018, but we are considering the P&O ultimate drinks package for our cruise in July.  Working it out to include a large G&T before dinner, a glass of wine with dinner, a couple of shorts or a pint after dinner...and then factoring in the Costa coffees and the soft drinks (my daughter drinks diet coke by the gallon, and her fiancé drinks coffee all day!)  we are thinking maybe it does work out ok for us.     Has anyone been on P&O recently (i.e last 6 months) who has had the drinks package, and what did you think? 

3 minutes ago, LazyRizzo said:

I realise I am jumping on to a topic from 2018, but we are considering the P&O ultimate drinks package for our cruise in July.  Working it out to include a large G&T before dinner, a glass of wine with dinner, a couple of shorts or a pint after dinner...and then factoring in the Costa coffees and the soft drinks (my daughter drinks diet coke by the gallon, and her fiancé drinks coffee all day!)  we are thinking maybe it does work out ok for us.     Has anyone been on P&O recently (i.e last 6 months) who has had the drinks package, and what did you think? 

You would have to buy a package for every adult in the cabin. You can't buy one package and share it. 

Dont think you are allowed double measures of spirits per drink only single measures and then you have to wait a period for the next and can only lol have 15 alcoholic drinks in any 24 hr period.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:19 PM, HthrEdmndsn said:

You would have to buy a package for every adult in the cabin. You can't buy one package and share it. 

Yes, we are aware of that.  And it wouldn't matter if it was a single measure of gin in the tonic....I have found the part in the T&C now where it states that a double shot or a large glass of wine counts as two drinks, and we have noted the 15 minute limit until you can order another drink (ha ha not that we drink that much or that fast!)   In fact we have done a rough calculation by looking at the sample drinks prices, and including the draught soft drinks, primo Costa coffees and mocktails, it isn't too bad I guess.