Sign in to follow this  
Austin

Livorno or Florence

Hi, we are sailing in September, calling in to Livorno. The question is, is Livorno an interesting town in its self as I know we should see Florence but don't really fancy 3 hours out of the day getting there and back. Any tips on both towns would be good. 

Thanks 

Pisa is another option from Livorno. We did a lovely trip going on a river cruise through Pisa, then trolley train to the field of miracles to see the leaning tower etc, after some free time there it was back on the trolley train to meet the coach back to the ship.

Nothing very exciting about Livorno. We only stay there because we have done both Florence and Pisa and not a gr8 lover of excursions so we just stay in Livorno and wander around the shops and market.

Having visited Florence, Pisa & Livorno on previous cruises I agree with Sinbad10 'nothing very exciting about Livorno'.

Lucca, where Puccini was born maybe another option for you.

I took the ships half day excursion to this delightful walled City with its cobbled streets. After the short guided tour we had time to wander, have coffee or an ice cream. 

Personally I considered this a pleasant  way to spend a few hours without the crowds the bigger Cities attract.  

Enjoy whichever option you choose. 

I was told that Livorno was the Venice of this part of Italy. No such thing! Having determined to look around we found so little that we hopped on a train to Pisa from the station and had a day there - much nicer. Really little of interest in Livorno so use the time to get to Pisa which is only around 20 minutes by train and then walkable to the Tower.

I agree with others there isn't much to excite you about Livorno although it's quite pleasant to wander around there, we have been to Florence many times and there is always something new to see so given the choice I would opt for time spent travelling rather than miss out on seeing this beautiful city, I also enjoy Pisa but once seen that's pretty much it.