Sign in to follow this  
sammy sun

Loving The Celebrity Cruises Makeover Plans

There are many reasons why I love Celebrity Cruises and this is just another example to add to the list. I see they've announced plans for a $500 million makeover of their entire fleet. I love that they're not just satisfied with releasing new ships of a conveyor belt like some other lines, they're also taking care of the ships that have got them to this point in the first place. It means older favourites get refreshed with a new look and they're looking at the big picture rather than just the here and now.

As per usual with Celebrity, they don't do things by halves as I see they're bringing in a mix of 500 people to oversee the refurbishment programme, all revolving around architecture, design and engineering.

I also really like that they're not just refreshing the public spaces on board but concentrating on the cabins too. So often cabins are forgotten about or simply changed by adding a new carpet or even just a new tv and expecting people to be over the moon with the "makeover". All the staterooms on board are receiving a totally new design, which keeps things fresh and makes walking onto a ship you've sailed on before almost like experiencing something for the first time.

They continue to impress me and I'll continue to sail with them.

As we need an accessible cabin and no longer fly, we are restricted to Southampton sailings, and Celebrity have a very limited itinerary choice; and with sterling at its current low levels their prices are now significantly higher.

29 minutes ago, towny44 said:

As we need an accessible cabin and no longer fly, we are restricted to Southampton sailings, and Celebrity have a very limited itinerary choice; and with sterling at its current low levels their prices are now significantly higher.

I took up that complaint with a Celebrity Manager some time ago, and  his reply was" Those are the Cruises that we sell well" It seems the Baltic cruises are very popular with the International clientele .

5 cruises to Russia one Med cruise and the rest to the Canneries .Love the ships and think they are a good cruise line to sail with ,but very limited sailings repeated year after year, if you limit yourself to Southampton like we do...Davybe

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

I took up that complaint with a Celebrity Manager some time ago, and  his reply was" Those are the Cruises that we sell well" It seems the Baltic cruises are very popular with the International clientele .

5 cruises to Russia one Med cruise and the rest to the Canneries .Love the ships and think they are a good cruise line to sail with ,but very limited sailings repeated year after year, if you limit yourself to Southampton like we do...Davybe

I think that most non UK based lines use Southampton primarily for N European cruises, this makes sense to them as they have other ships based in the Med for their N American clientele. RCI however seems to have more hot weather cruises from. Southampton and we are starting to use them, if the price is right.

While I can sympathize with those who are unable to fly, those who choose not to fly are really limiting their options.  

American cruise lines provide Caribbean cruises from the US.  Their target market from UK is Americans wanting to visit Europe.  British cruisers are a source of extra passengers and as such are not provided with a wide range of itineraries.  Most North Americans have to fly if they want to cruise (unless they live in Florida) and are prepared to take long flights if required.  Our nearest cruise port is New York, which is a ten hour drive with limited itinerary options when we get there.  I would rather fly to a more interesting departure port than drive there.

We love Celebrity cruises and are looking forward to our cruise out of Singapore on the newly renovate Millennium next year.

8 hours ago, smtcan said:

While I can sympathize with those who are unable to fly, those who choose not to fly are really limiting their options.  

American cruise lines provide Caribbean cruises from the US.  Their target market from UK is Americans wanting to visit Europe.  British cruisers are a source of extra passengers and as such are not provided with a wide range of itineraries.  Most North Americans have to fly if they want to cruise (unless they live in Florida) and are prepared to take long flights if required.  Our nearest cruise port is New York, which is a ten hour drive with limited itinerary options when we get there.  I would rather fly to a more interesting departure port than drive there.

We love Celebrity cruises and are looking forward to our cruise out of Singapore on the newly renovate Millennium next year.

The Southampton based cruises are multi national ,not just North America and Canada.

We have often been on Celebrity and found the biggest group of passengers British ,I was on Connie sailing from Harwich ,when for the first time the brits were the biggest group.The Uk provides the most passengers with the Southampton based cruise ,the second largest being from the states and Canada....Davybe.

20 hours ago, sammy sun said:

There are many reasons why I love Celebrity Cruises and this is just another example to add to the list. I see they've announced plans for a $500 million makeover of their entire fleet. I love that they're not just satisfied with releasing new ships of a conveyor belt like some other lines, they're also taking care of the ships that have got them to this point in the first place. It means older favourites get refreshed with a new look and they're looking at the big picture rather than just the here and now.

As per usual with Celebrity, they don't do things by halves as I see they're bringing in a mix of 500 people to oversee the refurbishment programme, all revolving around architecture, design and engineering.

I also really like that they're not just refreshing the public spaces on board but concentrating on the cabins too. So often cabins are forgotten about or simply changed by adding a new carpet or even just a new tv and expecting people to be over the moon with the "makeover". All the staterooms on board are receiving a totally new design, which keeps things fresh and makes walking onto a ship you've sailed on before almost like experiencing something for the first time.

They continue to impress me and I'll continue to sail with them.

I do wonder what they can do to the Rooms/cabin's , the fixtures ,Air Con, Bathroom ,Wiring ,and lighting are pretty much fixed ,they can change the carpets and Pictures even replace the beds and headboard, but very little else?.They are stuck with the Sofa as some have the trundle bed under them, unless the just get rid and put in chairs .

I wish they would change the tap in the bathroom....Davybe

Edited by Davybe

3 hours ago, Davybe said:

I do wonder what they can do to the Rooms/cabin's , the fixtures ,Air Con, Bathroom ,Wiring ,and lighting are pretty much fixed ,they can change the carpets and Pictures even replace the beds and headboard, but very little else?.They are stuck with the Sofa as some have the trundle bed under them, unless the just get rid and put in chairs .

I wish they would change the tap in the bathroom....Davybe

According to their publicity the cabins on Millennium class are being stripped to the steel and replaced with completely new cabins and bathrooms.  Solstice class cabins will be refurbished to a lesser extent.

4 hours ago, Davybe said:

The Southampton based cruises are multi national ,not just North America and Canada.

We have often been on Celebrity and found the biggest group of passengers British ,I was on Connie sailing from Harwich ,when for the first time the brits were the biggest group.The Uk provides the most passengers with the Southampton based cruise ,the second largest being from the states and Canada....Davybe.

We cruised from Harwich on Celebrity and there certainly were a large number of British passengers.  As for Southampton, my point was that Celebrity and similar lines serve other routes from other countries.  They use several different Mediterranean ports and ports in Asia, Australia, and the Caribbean to serve those areas.  If it was in their financial interest to provide more routes from Southampton they would do it.  As a for profit company they put their ships where they will generate maximum profit.

4 hours ago, smtcan said:

According to their publicity the cabins on Millennium class are being stripped to the steel and replaced with completely new cabins and bathrooms.  Solstice class cabins will be refurbished to a lesser extent.

Should be a big improvement for the Millennium class ships. a bit dated...Davybe

4 hours ago, smtcan said:

We cruised from Harwich on Celebrity and there certainly were a large number of British passengers.  As for Southampton, my point was that Celebrity and similar lines serve other routes from other countries.  They use several different Mediterranean ports and ports in Asia, Australia, and the Caribbean to serve those areas.  If it was in their financial interest to provide more routes from Southampton they would do it.  As a for profit company they put their ships where they will generate maximum profit.

I assume they adopted the same policy as RCI who cut out the winter cruises, as they struggled to fill the ship's, ,but over the year they do cover a wide area with cruises if your prepared to fly...Davybe

We have just watched the short video on the makeover of non suite cabins and they will look very nice, totally stripped out and full makeover, cream and beige colours used.

Schedule for refurbs starts next year through to 2023 and involves the whole fleet including the ships that were up for sale.

celebrity makaover schedule.jpg

I have to agree with FirstMate re taps. On our cruise on Eclipse I was scared I might break my nose as I bent over the basin. Minus specs the tap, which stretched across 2/3 of the basin, seemed further away than it was. Also the very modern square  "overhead shower" did exactly that. The top of my head got a good soaking but my "up-and-unders" (I'm 5'2 and big-busted)  were barely damp. The other Celebrity ships had slightly bettterntaps but the shower problems remained. 

19 hours ago, Dozydo said:

I have to agree with FirstMate re taps. On our cruise on Eclipse I was scared I might break my nose as I bent over the basin. Minus specs the tap, which stretched across 2/3 of the basin, seemed further away than it was. Also the very modern square  "overhead shower" did exactly that. The top of my head got a good soaking but my "up-and-unders" (I'm 5'2 and big-busted)  were barely damp. The other Celebrity ships had slightly bettterntaps but the shower problems remained. 

Try an Aqua class cabin, they have a full Body shower unit ,like being in the  shower with someone else? 

Must say on the Solstice class ships they are just about the best bathrooms we have ever had, the shower 's on Britannia are a bit of a joke ,even with the glass door.....Davybe

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

I've not been on Britannia but just curious Davybe - what made the showers a joke?

P&O had a chance to make a decent bathroom ,and for whatever reason decide the they would put a big shower in a small bathroom with the glass door opening out into the room ,they could have used sliding doors like Celebrity do ,or doors that open inwards as some MSC ship have?

The Bathroom is a one person room and you need to dry off outside the bathroom, or get bruised elbows? Hope the picture shows you what I mean.I prefer Britannia to the other 4 P&O ships we have sailed on ,but appreciate that all cabins are a compromise ,Celebrity has great well designed bathrooms but not as much hanging space asP&O have with the open hanging space.

P1010798 2.jpg

The toilet is behind the towel and you have not much room between the sink and shower door....Davybe

Edited by Davybe

18 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Thanks for that.  Difficult to appreciate fully from the photograph but I get your drift!

I had to crop the picture quite a lot so it would downloads it is not showing what I wanted....Davybe

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

I had to crop the picture quite a lot so it would downloads it is not showing what I wanted....Davybe

Davy, If you are using Windows you should be able resize it without cropping.  Highlight the photo in your pictures folder and select Edit fom the header, there is then a resize feature which will allow you to reduce it's size to one low enough to upload to the forum.

5 hours ago, towny44 said:

Davy, If you are using Windows you should be able resize it without cropping.  Highlight the photo in your pictures folder and select Edit fom the header, there is then a resize feature which will allow you to reduce it's size to one low enough to upload to the forum.

Thanks Towny.

I am using an Apple I-mac ,still getting use to it ,and I can drag and drop if I resize, but may look at using a third party web site to put pictures on here...Davybe