Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Changing Insurers

I am sure other forum members have changed their insurers over the years.

Since we Bough a Mazda car 5 years ago we have used their insurance as it was quite reasonable, until this year.They were taken over by a company that is part of the LV group(Liverpool Victoria)  who very kindly informed me my special rate this year would go from £449 to £690 .

So decided to try a comparison site (Martin Lewis ) which in fairness found me plenty of insurers who could provide the same cover for under £350 ,some I have never heard of, opted for Sainsbury's .(Wish I had done it sooner.}

Will be using the same site for our nest travel policy due in September.

Any of you use these comparison  sites and saved money......Davybe

Always compare all types of insurance with comparison websites when they are due for renewal. Just had my renewal for home building/contents  for 1st August from my current insurer Direct Line for £212 checked on comparison and purchased Privilege Platinum for same conditions and excesses for £152. What is so annoying is that Privilege is part of Direct Line and even though I chose them I could have got cheaper with Esure.

Edited by sinbad10

53 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Always compare all types of insurance with comparison websites when they are due for renewal. Just had my renewal for home building/contents  for 1st August from my current insurer Direct Line for £212 checked on comparison and purchased Privilege Platinum for same conditions and excesses for £152. What is so annoying is that Privilege is part of Direct Line and even though I chose them I could have got cheaper with Esure.

I just sorted out my own prices ,but this was the first time I had use a comparison site ,just so easy to save money.

Will have to see if they have Cruise comparison web sites......Davybe

I find now that I have to use several comparison sites as they all seem to have different specials. It's worth it in the end to save money but sort of defeats the original idea of comparison sites.

RayO

7 hours ago, Davybe said:

I am sure other forum members have changed their insurers over the years.

Since we Bough a Mazda car 5 years ago we have used their insurance as it was quite reasonable, until this year.They were taken over by a company that is part of the LV group(Liverpool Victoria)  who very kindly informed me my special rate this year would go from £449 to £690 .

So decided to try a comparison site (Martin Lewis ) which in fairness found me plenty of insurers who could provide the same cover for under £350 ,some I have never heard of, opted for Sainsbury's .(Wish I had done it sooner.}

Will be using the same site for our nest travel policy due in September.

Any of you use these comparison  sites and saved money......Davybe

Always. For everything. Mobile phone, broadband, gas, electric,  insurance. 

Never let anything run for more than two years without checking. Always end up switching.

Loyalty doesn't pay when companies are all out to grab new customers.

18 hours ago, RayO said:

I find now that I have to use several comparison sites as they all seem to have different specials. It's worth it in the end to save money but sort of defeats the original idea of comparison sites.

RayO

Hi Rayo.

I suppose it is easier to use a comparison site ,but you only get the deals or offers they get commission off? not always the best deal.But it does save filling in the same information 30 times to get a quote.

I have the time to trawl round getting quotes but prefer to do other things with my time,As I said this was the first time I had used a comparison site and was amazed as to how quick it was and how much I saved...Davybe

As long as you use Moneysupermarket, Comparethemarket, Go Compare, Confused and then check Direct Line and Aviva on their own websites because they are not on any comparison websites then I think you will have all options covered.

Always use the comparison sites, check the lowest equivalent  and then contact my insurers who I`ve been happy with (Direct Line) who nearly always match it. Annoying you have to do it but meant £45 less than my renewal quote this year without changing insurers.

There is a cruise comparison website. Shouldn`t put the link on here but google it and see. Doesn`t really do the same job as direct comparisons for insurance etc as it misses last minute bargains etc

With car insurance, the sooner you start shopping around the better. The nearer you get to the renewal date, the higher the quote, even when using comparison sites.

Or so I am told .....

2 minutes ago, All At Sea said:

With car insurance, the sooner you start shopping around the better. The nearer you get to the renewal date, the higher the quote, even when using comparison sites.

Or so I am told .....

Not always true it can go up or down but some companies guarantee quotes for up to 90 days before renewal so get quote save it then check about 14 days before renewal and then 7 days before renewal and then renew with the cheapest.