Sign in to follow this  
All At Sea

Yobs afloat

It's a few years since I stopped taking 2-3 night cruises on P&O because of the large number of badly behaved "party" passengers.

Recently, I took a 7 night Fjords cruise on Britannia, to find several large groups of the same.

In the "Live Lounge" I even saw a very noisy group who were bent over a white powdery substance on their table. As the evening went on, they became noisier and unsteadier on their feet. Security were noticeable by their complete absence. 

I've never seen bad behaviour like this on NCL - despite their casual dress code and freestyle ethos. 

P and O want to put a stop to this otherwise they will lose their regular passengers. We all want to have a good time but not at the expense of spoiling it for other people. I personally have never seen this type of behaviour on board and do not want to.

We saw it once on Azura in the show lounge I think called Manhattan. Group of adults all drunk and their kids no older than 8-9  running around the dance floor and by the stage even when the act was performing and the younger children lying on benches asleep and this was after 11pm. Even the Entertainment Officer made and anouncement about children running around but made no difference at all.

38 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Why is it that posts of this type so often seem to feature P&O. Other cruise lines do short cruises but do not appear to suffer from the same problem.

Perhaps people only like to criticise P and O to emphasise how they are going downhill. Also some if the so called booze cruisers probably go for the fact that the currency onboard is in Sterling so they know how much they are spending etc etc. However if the cruise lines want to up their game perhaps they shouldn’t do the two and three nighters. I did a three nighter once but wasn’t impressed.

These are supposed to be 'taster' cruises for people to experience a cruise and presumably then want to book a longer cruise. From everything I've read and heard nothing could be further from the truth. I've never been tempted to try one and have always thought they should be stopped. I'm sure the reason for continuing with them is because P&O make a lot of money from the alcohol sold. When people say they've booked a cruise and it's for 2/3 nights I always think they are in for a disappointment. P&O are probably the popular choice because of having so many ships sailing from Southampton. I'm sure any company offering these short cruises will have the same clientele as P&O and the same problems.

4 hours ago, Tally said:

These are supposed to be 'taster' cruises for people to experience a cruise and presumably then want to book a longer cruise. From everything I've read and heard nothing could be further from the truth. I've never been tempted to try one and have always thought they should be stopped. I'm sure the reason for continuing with them is because P&O make a lot of money from the alcohol sold. When people say they've booked a cruise and it's for 2/3 nights I always think they are in for a disappointment. P&O are probably the popular choice because of having so many ships sailing from Southampton. I'm sure any company offering these short cruises will have the same clientele as P&O and the same problems.

To be honest I have not heard of any other cruise line having this problem, including Celebrity why include a drink package on most of their cruises, maybe it because they use GB£s not US $s and the relative cheap booze prices that are the problem...Davybe

4 hours ago, Tally said:

I'm sure any company offering these short cruises will have the same clientele as P&O and the same problems.

That's the point Tally, they don't. I have covered 2/3 nights on Cunard, RCI and Celebrity, together with Fred Olsen and CMV who use the GB£ with drinks costs the same if not less than P&O but never experienced any problems.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

4 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

That's the point Tally, they don't. I have covered 2/3 nights on Cunard, RCI and Celebrity, together with Fred Olsen and CMV who use the GB£ with drinks costs the same if not less than P&O but never experienced any problems.

As I've said I've never been nor will I ever try one of these short cruises so I'm sure both you and Daveybe know better than me. In which case this should be something that P&O should sort out. I know that when we had our world cruise in the Penthouse suite on the Aurora we had to have maintenance deal with the problems left by the party cruisers on the cruise before, who'd obviously had a whale of a time but had no respect for the fixtures, fittings or the passengers who would follow them in.🙄 

18 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Well I can say for sure Cunard do have a problem with some of their short cruises as I've seen it, in fact I think I have said previously on this forum that the first one we did I couldn't believe how some were literally 'bouncing off the walls', on the same cruise at our first port the Belgian police came on board .. I have no idea what the circumstances were but suspect it was something quite serious otherwise the Captain would have just disembarked the offenders.

I agree with Tally these 2/3 night cruises do seem to attract a certain clientele or at least that has been our experience, not for me I'm afraid.    

2 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Well I can say for sure Cunard do have a problem with some of their short cruises as I've seen it, in fact I think I have said previously on this forum that the first one we did I couldn't believe how some were literally 'bouncing off the walls', on the same cruise at our first port the Belgian police came on board .. I have no idea what the circumstances were but suspect it was something quite serious otherwise the Captain would have just disembarked the offenders.

I agree with Tally these 2/3 night cruises do seem to attract a certain clientele or at least that has been our experience, not for me I'm afraid.    

As I said Dancing Queen, I personally have not experienced the problems on the lines I mentioned. I think possibly one of the problems with P&O is the low cost of a 2/3 night cruise,  it  appeals to the Hen Night, Stag Party brigade as the cost is similar to a weekend in the usual spots they frequent and there is no waiting around in airports . As always, just my opinion.

It's a difficult one to judge but I do know one thing, I've recommended many people over the years to give cruising a try but I would never recommend choosing to do a "taster cruise" like this as I think it gives a complete mis-representation of how it really is. I've done the one short cruise and that was enough. The service was no way near as good and the whole process seemed unorganised in comparison to a longer sailing.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

As I said Dancing Queen, I personally have not experienced the problems on the lines I mentioned. I think possibly one of the problems with P&O is the low cost of a 2/3 night cruise,  it  appeals to the Hen Night, Stag Party brigade as the cost is similar to a weekend in the usual spots they frequent and there is no waiting around in airports . As always, just my opinion.

Indeed OWT we can only comment on our own experiences, I did find the crew comments interesting, our butler told me she hated the short cruises as they were really hard work, our sommelier told me he loved them and when I said 'really' he said he would make more money over the three days than he would make on the following Xmas cruise.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:43 PM, *Dancing Queen* said:

Indeed OWT we can only comment on our own experiences, I did find the crew comments interesting, our butler told me she hated the short cruises as they were really hard work, our sommelier told me he loved them and when I said 'really' he said he would make more money over the three days than he would make on the following Xmas cruise.

I have heard the same comments made by crew members.

All cruise lines offer "Taster Cruise" from Southampton yet we only seem to hear about P&O, yet it would be the same pool of people the passengers would be drawn from, unless they were doing a Back to Back cruise nobody would fly to the UK for a 3 day cruise....Davybe

Just back from 13 nights on Ventura - it was a completely different (and much nicer) group of passengers.

Based on this, we have now booked longer cruises with P&O  (12 and 14 nights) from Southampton for 2020.

Edited by All At Sea