Tamworthbay

Anyone on Oceana last week?

Just wondering if anyone else was on Oceana last week? (Returned Thursday) Had a good time but felt rough the last day (put it down to the heat) but after disembarking I got worse and have had significant symptoms of food poisoning/ bug which made the flight home interesting as it really kicked in about half way back! Still rough now. Wondering whether it’s a one off and I have been unlucky or whether there was an issue on the ship.

Unlucky to say the least.Was there NV on the ship.

I had a bad night suffering much the same as you ,Wife OK we ate the same things but I ended up spending a lot of time in the toilet ,and cannot pinpoint it....Davybe

10 minutes ago, Davybe said:

Unlucky to say the least.Was there NV on the ship.

I had a bad night suffering much the same as you ,Wife OK we ate the same things but I ended up spending a lot of time in the toilet ,and cannot pinpoint it....Davybe

No mention of NV beyond the usual precautions. Staff were spot on with hand sanitizer every time we went in buffet or restaurants. Only thing I am wondering about is I had the prawn cocktail and didn’t eat a couple of the prawns as they were a dark colour at one end which looked strange. In the present heat wave I guess seafood is a bit more of a risk in any restaurant and I have no way of knowing if it was that or not.

Were you on last week as well?

On 8/4/2018 at 10:30 AM, Tamworthbay said:

No mention of NV beyond the usual precautions. Staff were spot on with hand sanitizer every time we went in buffet or restaurants. Only thing I am wondering about is I had the prawn cocktail and didn’t eat a couple of the prawns as they were a dark colour at one end which looked strange. In the present heat wave I guess seafood is a bit more of a risk in any restaurant and I have no way of knowing if it was that or not.

Were you on last week as well?

No ,at home spent the day Pond dipping with my Grandson,I may have picked something up there?.

The Prawns seem a likely source ,unless it is stored safely then any food puts us at risk....Davybe

7 minutes ago, Davybe said:

No ,at home spent the day Pond dipping with my Grandson,I may have picked something up there?.

The Prawns seem a likely source ,unless it is stored safely then any food puts us at risk....Davybe

Grandchildren are far and away the source of more bugs, germs and viruses than any restaurant kitchen. 😊

11 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

It's strange that such symtoms in a hotel or other land based holiday is 'food poisoning'. The same symptoms on a cruise is always norovirus.

That is why I made a point of putting food poisoning/ bug as short of collecting a pot of poo and getting it tested I can’t be sure and I wasnt going to be doing that. More wondering if it was an isolated thing or more widespread.

30 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

That is why I made a point of putting food poisoning/ bug as short of collecting a pot of poo and getting it tested I can’t be sure and I wasnt going to be doing that. More wondering if it was an isolated thing or more widespread.

That's was my point. It's always referred to as NV even no testing is done.

About five years ago we had full blown norovirus restrictions on a cruise due to an outbreak of 'intestertinal symptoms' (or something like that). Within hours it been reported in daily newspapers back home that there was an EPIDEMIC of norovirus on the PLAGUE ship.

It turned out to be food poisoning, from a restaurant on shore, from one particular dish that those who were ill had eaten. The others of the group (extended family) who hadn't eaten that dish were unaffected, even if they were in the same cabin.

I guess it’s a mix of lazy journalism and past history. P&O specifically mention norovirus in the info and questions during embarkation. As no one else in my family has suffered any problems I am leaning towards the food poisoning angle, I didn’t eat anything off the ship all week so it must have been something on board, but as I said before it’s not entirely surprising given the present heatwave. I guess I have just been unlucky but still feeling rubbish a few days on.

Are you taking anything? I find that dioralyte, or other non branded re-hydration powders really helps. It does alleviate the symptoms, but, more importantly, it does re hydrate you. Dehydration is the reason why one feels rubbish for days, it also replaces the electrolytes and salts that have been lost.

2 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Are you taking anything? I find that dioralyte, or other non branded re-hydration powders really helps. It does alleviate the symptoms, but, more importantly, it does re hydrate you. Dehydration is the reason why one feels rubbish for days, it also replaces the electrolytes and salts that have been lost.

Thanks, yes I am on a few things and drinking loads. It’s not being helped by other meds I am on unfortunately but that’s one of those things. Mostly over it now just have zero energy to do anything and feeling a bit sore in the gut region. At least it was right at the end so only affected the last day and even then it wasn’t until I was on the way back that I felt really rough.

17 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Thanks, yes I am on a few things and drinking loads. It’s not being helped by other meds I am on unfortunately but that’s one of those things. Mostly over it now just have zero energy to do anything and feeling a bit sore in the gut region. At least it was right at the end so only affected the last day and even then it wasn’t until I was on the way back that I felt really rough.

I am not trying to play Doctor but it does seem a long time to feel unwell if you got NV or food poisoning .NV can take upto 48 hours before you get any symptoms ,and food poising you get ill within 6 hours ,and once you have emptied your self I feel Ok the Day after?

My Brother-in-law found out in his 60s that he was allergic to Prawns/Shrimps, he had enjoyed them for years but became unwell after eating some at a hotel, his doctor tested him ,and told him to avoid them, hope you have not developed an allergy to them....Davybe

I don't think it's been a long time to be ill. A cold takes 2 weeks to totally recover from fully. Flu can take a month or more. Norovirus, as I understand it, causes vomiting and diarrhoea for over 24 hours; that would take more than a day to recover from. It may be 48 hours since infection, but the vomiting and diarrhoea comes on suddenly, which is why it spreads so easily. 

If I have over eaten, or eaten something that disagrees with me, yes a day usually sees me right. But if it is a bug or virus (which the OPs illness sounds like, the stomach problems being a side effect) even emptying your stomach does not rid your body of the culprit. On top of which your body is now effectively running on empty, or even starving, which will drastically increase recovery time. Plus any prescribed medications are not staying in your body long enough to be effective, or are less effective on an empty stomach. After being ill for several days, as OP described I would not expect to feel better for at least a week. 

But, I agree with your last paragraph. My father suddenly became allergic to shellfish in his 70s. As he only ate them on holidays he put it down to food poisoning for years. 

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

Fully recovered now, so 4 days in total, bit obvious effects only lasted about a day, after that I just didn’t feel well. I guess I won’t know what caused it for sure. I doubt it’s an allergy as I love seafood so had eaten a load of prawns already that week. I will find out tomorrow as have a bbq planned for our wedding anniversary and have some rather nice ones ready to go!

7 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Was it tested and diagnosed as Noro?

Not me personally but a lot on the ship including staff were taken ill and they even cancelled a theatre show. But when mentioned to the Purser he denied that the show had been cancelled for that reason and there were not that many ill. Which was laughable as surprisingly cruisers chat to each other.

18 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Not me personally but a lot on the ship including staff were taken ill and they even cancelled a theatre show. But when mentioned to the Purser he denied that the show had been cancelled for that reason and there were not that many ill. Which was laughable as surprisingly cruisers chat to each other.

Funnily enough we did many cruises on QE2 and not once was the N word mentioned in fact until about ten years ago I hadn't even heard of it so what does that tell you !! 

I'm not saying it didn't exist or it wasn't around but it is certainly more rampant today than it ever was, I'm surprised a Purser or anyone else would deny it especially as it is in everyone's interest to do whatever they can to to contain it, knowing many of the 'old' Cunard Captains they ran the ships with a rod of iron so I'm sorry but I can't imagine any of them turning a blind eye.

12 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Funnily enough we did many cruises on QE2 and not once was the N word mentioned in fact until about ten years ago I hadn't even heard of it so what does that tell you !! 

I'm not saying it didn't exist or it wasn't around but it is certainly more rampant today than it ever was, I'm surprised a Purser or anyone else would deny it especially as it is in everyone's interest to do whatever they can to to contain it, knowing many of the 'old' Cunard Captains they ran the ships with a rod of iron so I'm sorry but I can't imagine any of them turning a blind eye.

I don't think it's more rampant. It's just that we are more aware of it. Previously a "gyppy tummy" was part and parcel of a foreign holiday and almost expected. Giving it an official name makes it seem worse. What used to a couple of days of bad winter weather is now Storm... Much more dramatic and seemingly dangerous. 

I don't think a few years ago it was anything like it is now, granted we probably didn't hear about it so much but you never saw stewards wiping handrails etc down continually as you do now, I don't ever recall being served by waiters in the buffet or not having condiments on the table so what has changed ?? 

5 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I don't think a few years ago it was anything like it is now, granted we probably didn't hear about it so much but you never saw stewards wiping handrails etc down continually as you do now, I don't ever recall being served by waiters in the buffet or not having condiments on the table so what has changed ?? 

On my first ever cruise, in 2005 what you describe was happening. We thought that it was normal for a cruise ship. It was only after a few more cruises that we realised that infection control measures had been in place. 

2 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I went to see the Purser on an unrelated matter in his office and he asked me had I enjoyed the cruise and told him very much  ut that I had been ill with symptoms of NV and he said a number of cruisers had been taken ill and I said yes and also number of staff  including theatre group. He went to great length to say it wasnt food poisoning or NV as staff dont eat same food as cruisers, which I found strange because dont need to eat same food to pass illness on. This was in 1997 on a TA so there was no issue of contacting ports in advance because the next port of call was Southampton and majority were disembarking. I am convinced that in those days they perhaps didnt know what they know now and what they do when they get a number of people taken ill with NV symptoms or way of tackling the problem like they do now.

Edited by sinbad10

9 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I agree, when I started cruising never really saw as much of this germ control going on.

I truly believe that nowadays there is too much of this antibacterial cleaning taking place and we are quickly becoming less resistant to such germs, especially the younger generation.

If people just took reasonable precautions such as hand washing properly then I suspect a lot of these so called viruses would not be so prevalent.

Just my opinion of course.

HLM.