Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Scooter or Wheelchair.

My wife is having difficulty walking any long distances, and pending the results of her next lot of checks we hope to start cruising again.

So which would be better to take with us a fold up wheelchair or a small Scooter.

Has anyone inexperience of one or the other, what other than storing the transport what else will I need to consider.....Davybe

On P&O you might be forced to have a suite or adapted cabin so would have to book early and pay top price and you could be restricted on going ashore on tender ports depending how able Mrs Davybe is. Having said all that fingers crossed that her results are good and you can enjoy once again the many aspects of cruising.

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

My wife is having difficulty walking any long distances, and pending the results of her next lot of checks we hope to start cruising again.

So which would be better to take with us a fold up wheelchair or a small Scooter.

Has anyone inexperience of one or the other, what other than storing the transport what else will I need to consider.....Davybe

As Sinbad10 says a scooter would require a suite or accessible cabin on P&O, however a collapsible wheelchair can be used in any cabin, and I imagine storage would be fairly easy in the walk in closet.

However you would need to push this either on the ship or ashore, on the ship that's relatively easy although some carpeted area can slow you down, ashore it depends on the town but we generally manage but rarely travel very far and avoid hills.  You should have no problems tendering or on ships tours as long as your wife can navigate the coach and tender stairs.

Thanks Towny and Sinbad.

The wheelchair does seem to have more advantages,(I may even lose weight ) and as we normally travel down by coach to Soton it would be easy to transport ...Davybe