Sign in to follow this  
sinbad10

Best price booking.

Just contacted my TA about upgrading my cabin on QM2 for Nov 2019 which was booked when brochure was released in Sept/Oct 2017. Know that you pay the price of the cabin when you booked not current prices but was shocked with price. They say either book early or book late not in between as prices increase, well that is not always correct. Was given a price of Princess Grill suite at price of Sept/Oct 2107 to upgrade today and the price Cunard quoted me was over £3500pp, the same cruise which is still 15 months away is currently been advertised at £2699pp. So it kills the myth that to get best price book early or wait for a late deal.

39 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Certainly dispels the myth of booking early which is what I have always said. As for late booking being a myth lets wait and see what the cost is 3 months prior to sailing. 

Very rarely get late deals on Princess/Queens Grill suites.

1 minute ago, towny44 said:

Would it not be worth cancelling your initial booking and book at the new price?

Yes it would be financially beneficial to cancel original booking losing deposit and paying TA cancellation fee if we decide to go ahead or just stay with original cabin and booking.

4 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Just contacted my TA about upgrading my cabin on QM2 for Nov 2019 which was booked when brochure was released in Sept/Oct 2017. Know that you pay the price of the cabin when you booked not current prices but was shocked with price. They say either book early or book late not in between as prices increase, well that is not always correct. Was given a price of Princess Grill suite at price of Sept/Oct 2107 to upgrade today and the price Cunard quoted me was over £3500pp, the same cruise which is still 15 months away is currently been advertised at £2699pp. So it kills the myth that to get best price book early or wait for a late deal.

I have heard of someone else who tried to upgrade with RCI? Celebrity ,and they did not use the current prices, but reverted to the original pricing at the time of booking.

We should get the flexibility that some cruise lines offer in the American market ,I would try Cunard direct see what they come up with.....Davybe

I have only ever been successful once with price matching when prices dropped, and that was with Princess, in our case it did not involve any upgrade just a simple price reduction against the initial booking.  But since this was for a family holiday with 3 cabins and 3 children the reduction was substantial and our final bill was only 60% of the original price.  However we have saved money a couple of times by cancelling an existing booking and managing to re-book the same cabin at an overall reduction, once with P&O and once with Celebrity.

Therefore I do find it strange that most lines won't consider offering upgrades to existing bookings where prices have been reduced, even for high loyalty members, especially when the resulting income will be no lower, and may even be slightly beneficial to them, and as for the goodwill it would generate, that must have a significant value as well.

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

I have heard of someone else who tried to upgrade with RCI? Celebrity ,and they did not use the current prices, but reverted to the original pricing at the time of booking.

We should get the flexibility that some cruise lines offer in the American market ,I would try Cunard direct see what they come up with.....Davybe

I have tried they wont even talk to me because my booking is through a TA. They said I would have to phone them and ask them which I did and they phoned Cunard while I was holding on the phone.

28 minutes ago, towny44 said:

I have only ever been successful once with price matching when prices dropped, and that was with Princess, in our case it did not involve any upgrade just a simple price reduction against the initial booking.  But since this was for a family holiday with 3 cabins and 3 children the reduction was substantial and our final bill was only 60% of the original price.  However we have saved money a couple of times by cancelling an existing booking and managing to re-book the same cabin at an overall reduction, once with P&O and once with Celebrity.

Therefore I do find it strange that most lines won't consider offering upgrades to existing bookings where prices have been reduced, even for high loyalty members, especially when the resulting income will be no lower, and may even be slightly beneficial to them, and as for the goodwill it would generate, that must have a significant value as well.

I have "price matched" with Princess  when they have reduced a fare in the past but I knew and accepted that Cunard would quote price of PG suite at time of booking and not now but wasnt expecting it to be that much dearer seeing that it is not a "late deal".

Edited by sinbad10

Is this for the same Princess grill suite ie same deck, same position (front,back,middle) as prices differ. All cruise lines advertise the lowest price to pull you in then when you have found what you want the price is always more.

3 hours ago, terrierian said:

Is this for the same Princess grill suite ie same deck, same position (front,back,middle) as prices differ. All cruise lines advertise the lowest price to pull you in then when you have found what you want the price is always more.

As far as I'm aware all PG ( P1 suites ) on QE/QV are midships as are the majority of the P2 suites, funnily enough the most expensive suites on QE/QV ( Q1 ) are all aft.