Jump to content
Pesky Pirate

No service charge on P&O Cruises

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, mitch said:

it will cause problems for some, what will they talk about lol.

We could talk about how prices are creeping up (whether or not they are) to cover this.

Or, how much cash do we need to give waiters and cabin stewards.

I haven't had this email yet. Does it say tips are included in cruise price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes basically the £7 daily discretionary service charge is no more from may 2019.

i would imagine prices will reflect this but i dont have a problem with that so long as its reasonable.

ive long said its what they should do its the fairest solution to the problem of the nontippers.

Edited by mitch
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

We could talk about how prices are creeping up (whether or not they are) to cover this.

Or, how much cash do we need to give waiters and cabin stewards.

I haven't had this email yet. Does it say tips are included in cruise price?

the link is here

https://www.pocruises.com/service/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=poem18augexplore&utm_campaign=explore_newsletter&utm_term=po-18123962&utm_content=top5service

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good idea, service charge was creeping up, probably to make up for all the people who remove it. Now some people will not be paying to cover others who refuse. Nothing to stop us giving a small tip for excellent service which is how it should be. I have been feeding this back to P&O for several years now , glad they have made this decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we've all harped on enough on the forum about Tipping. Finally a cruise line has taken the bull by the horns and stopped them.

Yes they've probably incorporated into the fare but good on them, safe to say though it still doesn't stop anyone giving staff a little extra if they exceed your expectations

For once well done P&O. (I wonder if others will now follow suit)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am dead chuffed as ive booked a 28 night cruise next october so my cruise price already set even with single supp grrr. so thats just saved me almost £200. oh and a 12 nighter next july so i am happy bunny.

do away with the single supplement and i will be happier still. lol

Edited by mitch
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this was the email received from P&O

 

New, from May 2019, no discretionary daily Service Charge

 

We take huge pride in giving you a holiday that's truly memorable and our team on board is committed to providing exceptional service. From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of. Changes like this do take a little bit of time to put in place, and so for holidays which depart before May, a discretionary daily Service Charge amount of £7 will continue to be added for guests aged 12 and over.

My first thought was that they are removing the service charge, then I wondered if it means that they are removing the “discretionary” part! Otherwise why do they say “relax, knowing it’s all taken care of”?

Do you think I am reading too much into this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Valerie said:

this was the email received from P&O

 

New, from May 2019, no discretionary daily Service Charge

 

We take huge pride in giving you a holiday that's truly memorable and our team on board is committed to providing exceptional service. From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of. Changes like this do take a little bit of time to put in place, and so for holidays which depart before May, a discretionary daily Service Charge amount of £7 will continue to be added for guests aged 12 and over.

My first thought was that they are removing the service charge, then I wondered if it means that they are removing the “discretionary” part! Otherwise why do they say “relax, knowing it’s all taken care of”?

Do you think I am reading too much into this?

 

Welcome to the Forum Valerie.

My thoughts are that they may do a combination of reduced OBC ,or Cancel Parking? coach travel ,and up the prices.

They may just add the tips onto all the prices or make it non removable.We will just have to wait and see.

A good move to keep the staff happy ,who knows what the customers will make of it....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Valerie said:

 

My first thought was that they are removing the service charge, then I wondered if it means that they are removing the “discretionary” part! Otherwise why do they say “relax, knowing it’s all taken care of”?

Do you think I am reading too much into this?

 

That was exactly my thoughts when I read the announcement.

They are not removing "service charge" they are removing the "discretionary service charge" 

Either way is good. No more endless circular threads. No more subsidising those who remove the service charge. No more endless queues at reception. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what’s the difference between discretionary service charge and service charge. They still expect you to pay it before May 2019 whatever they like to call it.

like Mitch says perhaps they could reduce the single supplement next for those singles who get ripped off every time they go on holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

That was exactly my thoughts when I read the announcement.

They are not removing "service charge" they are removing the "discretionary service charge" 

Either way is good. No more endless circular threads. No more subsidising those who remove the service charge. No more endless queues at reception. 

I agree. Whether they include it in the price of the cruise or the gratuities are taken out in some other way, it's a good thing. No more subsidising people who remove the charge. No more reading the excuses from people as to why they don't pay. Ooh! Yes we'll have to find something else to argue about now.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pesky Pirate said:

So what’s the difference between discretionary service charge and service charge. They still expect you to pay it before May 2019 whatever they like to call it.

like Mitch says perhaps they could reduce the single supplement next for those singles who get ripped off every time they go on holiday.

The difference is one is discretionary, the other may not be, ie you can't remove it.

I too pay the solo traveller supplement. It would be better if they charged per cabin. If you want to share it with someone it's up to you. I could avoid it if I dragged my son along, but I'd rather not have the hassle. If you don't want to pay it, don't.

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cruise addict said:

This is good news. If it is included in the price everyone pays. Much better for us and the crew, I hope. We will have to wait and see if we loose OBC, free parking etc. Time will tell.

You shouldn't lose anything if you've already booked.

If prices do go up as a result, only those who book from now on will pay any additional cost.

HLM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

That was exactly my thoughts when I read the announcement.

They are not removing "service charge" they are removing the "discretionary service charge" 

Either way is good. No more endless circular threads. No more subsidising those who remove the service charge. No more endless queues at reception. 

There is currently a service charge which is not discretionary, that is the uplift on bar prices from which the bar staff receive their gratuity payment, or service reward as P&O call it.  I imagine that will remain, which could account for this announcement referring specifically to the discretionary service charge, otherwise known as the auto gratuity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2018 at 8:07 PM, cruise addict said:

This is good news. If it is included in the price everyone pays. Much better for us and the crew, I hope. We will have to wait and see if we loose OBC, free parking etc. Time will tell.

Bet there are a few Dentures being ground together by the P&O tightwads.....Davtbe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so P&O have come in line with many other cruise lines of including gratuities in their lead in price but how do they recoup that money. Personally I think they will increase the fares. If they increase the cost of drinks it will mean paying out more to bar waiters who work on a percentage of the price as well as encouraging more passengers to bring their own drink on board. They can't increase the prices in the shops as I believe they are seperate franchises. Up the cost of the franchise and they could well lose people wanting the franchises. If they take away free parking and OBC they will become less competitive with other cruise lines and bearing in mind all the extra cabins they are having to sell for their new ships that would appear a retrograde step. As always, just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in a sense people wont really notice the increase in fares if thats what they do as its so far in advance a lot of fares arent out yet. as the itineries arent identical year on year it wont be that obvious a £77 increase on a 11 night cruise. those that have booked yonks in advance will be the only beneficiaries really. says he having booked a 28 nighter in oct 2019. ha ha oh joy reduces the impact of a 60% single supp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

OK, so P&O have come in line with many other cruise lines of including gratuities in their lead in price but how do they recoup that money. Personally I think they will increase the fares. If they increase the cost of drinks it will mean paying out more to bar waiters who work on a percentage of the price as well as encouraging more passengers to bring their own drink on board. They can't increase the prices in the shops as I believe they are seperate franchises. Up the cost of the franchise and they could well lose people wanting the franchises. If they take away free parking and OBC they will become less competitive with other cruise lines and bearing in mind all the extra cabins they are having to sell for their new ships that would appear a retrograde step. As always, just my opinion.

Completely agree with you OWT Prices will rise although I did read in one report that A spokeswoman said, '' the set price of its cruises would not increase as a result of the change'', but added: "As with all holidays, prices can be affected by market demand.",

However due to the fluid pricing we will never know. Possibly less Saver and Early saver fares offered  together with perhaps a reduction of obc being offered. But in my opnion the whole concept of including in the price is about time and fair to all.

Edited by pennbank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×