Pesky Pirate

No service charge on P&O Cruises

I get a print out to see how much OBC has been used,because your loyalty discount only comes off when your OBC has been used, so IF you want to perches a higher value product it can mean that it will be 10% less, which can make a big difference, having said that the merchandise on P and O is not so good.

I definitely think this is a good/positive move - at least we all know where we stand and its taken care of. Oh, and no weaving in and out of the huge queue of folk at the reception desk either!

1 hour ago, Jenjen said:

I get a print out to see how much OBC has been used,because your loyalty discount only comes off when your OBC has been used, so IF you want to perches a higher value product it can mean that it will be 10% less, which can make a big difference, having said that the merchandise on P and O is not so good.

If you intend spending  more than your OBC then why does it matter when you spend it, surely your final invoice will be the same either way.

4 minutes ago, towny44 said:

If you intend spending  more than your OBC then why does it matter when you spend it, surely your final invoice will be the same either way.

No. You don't get discount on items bought using OBC. So wait until auto grats have come off your account, which will use it up. Then everything you purchase will attract your loyalty discount.

Of course this only applies if you leave auto grats on, and not at all when they stop being charged.

4 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

No. You don't get discount on items bought using OBC. So wait until auto grats have come off your account, which will use it up. Then everything you purchase will attract your loyalty discount.

Of course this only applies if you leave auto grats on, and not at all when they stop being charged.

Surely the end result is exactly the same, IF you end up owing P&O money, the final amount you owe P&O will have been given the loyalty discount. So makes no difference at all to what you end up paying. 

If you doubt me I will happily explain it in detail, but my fee will be a bit prohibitive.

19 minutes ago, towny44 said:

Surely the end result is exactly the same, IF you end up owing P&O money, the final amount you owe P&O will have been given the loyalty discount. So makes no difference at all to what you end up paying. 

If you doubt me I will happily explain it in detail, but my fee will be a bit prohibitive.

Auto grats don't get loyalty discount. 

Money spent using OBC doesn't get loyalty discount. 

So use OBC to pay auto grats. 

Then everything you spend is cost minus loyalty discount. 

Discount is applied per item, not off the final total. 

I can afford to cruise twice a year, paying single supplement, on an income of less than £15,000 pa. I do not need your help. Thanks for the offer. 

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

11 minutes ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Auto grats don't get loyalty discount. 

Money spent using OBC doesn't get loyalty discount. 

So use OBC to pay auto grats. 

Then everything you spend is cost minus loyalty discount. 

Discount is applied per item, not off the final total. 

But only when your OBC has been used up, prior to that you get no discount.

I can afford to cruise twice a year, paying single supplement, on an income of less than £15,000 pa. I do not need your help. Thanks for the offer. 

Loyalty discount is only applied after all your OBC is used up, it does not matter what you have spent it on you won't get a loyalty discount until then.  I suggest you sit down with your last on board account and check how it has been calculated.

Edited by towny44

I know exactly how it has been calculated. 

Items bought after OBC has been used gets discount. 

Items bought before OBC is used doesn't get discount. 

I reiterate that discount is applied to each individual item, not the final total.

5 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

I reiterate that discount is applied to each individual item, not the final total.

??!!

Edited by towny44

5 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

I agree with this. Discount us calculated on a per item basis after OBS has been fully used. As auto grats were charged on day 1 then it effectively came off any OBS. I am lucky as I get shareholder OBS. If you take auti grats off then spending OBS takes longer before discount is applied to amounts charged to your credit/debit card.

I am certain that OBS will be reduced in due course to compensate fir the removal of autograts as this would help to balance the figures.

16 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

Just to add to this discussion, if you purchase and excursions on line with P&O before you sail (and pay in advance) your loyalty discount is applied regardless of how much OBC you have. 

Yes. And the base price is cheaper too.

2 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

Just to add to this discussion, if you purchase any excursions on line with P&O before you sail (and pay in advance) your loyalty discount is applied regardless of how much OBC you have. 

With Princess cruises if you have any OBC and you book excursions in advance prior to cruise they take the cost off your OBC so you dont need to pay in advance on a credit/debit card.

20 hours ago, towny44 said:

Loyalty discount is only applied after all your OBC is used up, it does not matter what you have spent it on you won't get a loyalty discount until then.  I suggest you sit down with your last on board account and check how it has been calculated.

As I understand it if you board with say £100 OBC & 10% loyalty discount & on the first evening you buy an item for £100 that would be your OBC used up. The auto grats then kick in at say for simplicity £100 so you owe £100 as loyalty discount doesn't apply. However if you buy the item on the second day the auto grats have used up your OBC so it costs you £100 less £10 loyalty discount so you then owe £90. I think that's how it works.

Always request a statement every so often during the cruise, just in case there is a rogue invoice. It has happened before and took 2/3 days to get sorted, but not the end of the world either. No need to queue at Reception, just choose a quiet time.  With regard to tips, we leave one on, and take one off and give  the "OFF" money to the cabin steward or whoever has given good service.  Simples.

One well known Agent (Not Bolsover) is advertising P&O as having no Tips included for this years cruises? it was only when you start the booking process they make it clear ,that it starts next year....Davybe

It never ceases to amaze me how some of the big cruise agents can be so inaccurate at times.  I have seen adverts & TV selling where they feature a ship and put a photograph of a different one up!

Recently I saw a comparison of P&O and Marella on a large cruise agent website and about 4 'facts' presented about P&O were years out of date!

Is it because I am a grumpy old man or what. P&O have scrapped the discretionary charge because they could not control it. Too many passengers went to reception to cancel the 'discretionary' charge. I keep looking at P&O cruises and I think they have increased, not only that, on board spend seems to be much less. These are items P&O can control.

Pip

4 minutes ago, piphardy said:

Is it because I am a grumpy old man or what. P&O have scrapped the discretionary charge because they could not control it. Too many passengers went to reception to cancel the 'discretionary' charge. I keep looking at P&O cruises and I think they have increased, not only that, on board spend seems to be much less. These are items P&O can control.

Pip

Hi Piphardy.

Not just P&O that got flack about tips most cruise lines are seeing the rule of "diminishing return's" as they increase the tips more passengers cancel them ,I would think the crew got very little extra, after each increase as more people cancels their tips.

P&O have been very brave IMO in being a big cruise line to change the way the crew get paid, some have never had a formal tipping policy, but the passengers would still give them tips...Davybe

2 hours ago, piphardy said:

Pip

that was always going to be the result i think,on my last cruise a table of 8 singles i was the only one that left the tips on the onboard account. the rest all removed them mainly saying they have to pay too much for the cruise anyway due to the single supplement so we were paying 60-100% of another persons fare with none of the benefits of that persons fare. obc etc.

to be fair they all tipped the waiters at dinner on the last night so i have no idea what the net result would be as i dont know who else they tipped or how much.

8 hours ago, piphardy said:

Pip

If you are worried about P&O prices increasing, might I suggest that you check out the current prices for Celebrity, especially their 2 new Edge class ships, these are eye wateringly expensive.