Sign in to follow this  
seawitch

Extension leads

I don't know if people have noticed but on P&O website you are no-longer allowed to take extension leads on-board, unless for essential medical equipment and they must be checked before use.. I contacted P&O to ask if the multi usb adaptors could be used and was told no as they are an extension. I am wondering how to charge my kindle, i-pod etc . What are people to do on ships where there is no usb socket? Seems very silly to me any Ideas on what to use please? 

My iPad cable goes into a plug via a usb, the same as most charging leads. I can’t see how that would be an extension lead. What do they do with passengers from other countries whose hair dryer or razors have different plugs on the end and you need a converter plug to change it to a 3 pin. I can’t see that it would be any different to taking one of those.

37 minutes ago, Pesky Pirate said:

My iPad cable goes into a plug via a usb, the same as most charging leads. I can’t see how that would be an extension lead. What do they do with passengers from other countries whose hair dryer or razors have different plugs on the end and you need a converter plug to change it to a 3 pin. I can’t see that it would be any different to taking one of those.

There`s a difference between a USB plug and a multi usb adapter+ plug which is what I use normally. They`re trying to stop overloading the system I guess. I see the point with a multi plug extension but not a multi usb adapter. I`d just take it and let them find it in my luggage but keep it out of sight in the cabin so the attendant isn`t reqwuired to stop you!Just another reason for me not to go with P&O if I was daft enough to think 

I would suggest that a USB lead that connects a mobile device to an electrical plug is no different to the lead that attaches to an electric razor and the electrical socket. I think to most people an extension lead is one as defined as 'an electric cord that is used to make another electric cord reach farther'.  Just my opinion of course.

I just use the plug and lead that came with my I pad ,and follow the cruise lines request to leave it on charge when we are in the cabin?

Celebrity Banned a Samsung phone from being charged up as they were fire hazard.why on earth people need multiple points to charge is beyond me....Davybe

44 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

As a firefighter for 34yrs I would never dream of putting anything on charge and leaving it while not in the cabin or overnight whilst asleep seen the horrors that can happen and practice the same principle at home.

Passengers with an electric wheelchair or scooter have no option but to leave them on charge overnight, otherwise they would not achieve a full charge.

1 hour ago, towny44 said:

Passengers with an electric wheelchair or scooter have no option but to leave them on charge overnight, otherwise they would not achieve a full charge.

Slightly different than a 2 bob made in china extension leads that most people get from Poundland. Been on many fires caused by extension leads and phones been left on charge over night funnily enough never been on one caused by an overheated wheelchair.

To me an extension lead is a plug that fits into a single socket and turns it into 3 or 4 separate plugs to use at the same time which I would have thought would be a bit dodgy to use on a ship. However the charger that comes with a device such as a phone or an I-pad should be safe if used 1 at a time & not left unattended.

53 minutes ago, 2torts said:

To me an extension lead is a plug that fits into a single socket and turns it into 3 or 4 separate plugs to use at the same time which I would have thought would be a bit dodgy to use on a ship. However the charger that comes with a device such as a phone or an I-pad should be safe if used 1 at a time & not left unattended.

In theory what you say is correct but problem is how many charge phones and i-pads with non standard leads not supplied by manufacture of item. Many buy many from all sorts of differing places i.e. Amazon/Ebay and which is a well known fact that these have caused many fires so I can understand where cruise lines are coming from with these rules. The worst place to have a fire is on a ship in the middle of the ocean.

I once forgot that three pin plugs were upside down on a ship we were on forget which ship, but reception told to bring my phone and charger down to them and they would charge it, maybe that what they want you to do.

just to say would never charge anything overnight or when I’m not at home yet alone when away.

1 hour ago, sinbad10 said:

In theory what you say is correct but problem is how many charge phones and i-pads with non standard leads not supplied by manufacture of item. Many buy many from all sorts of differing places i.e. Amazon/Ebay and which is a well known fact that these have caused many fires so I can understand where cruise lines are coming from with these rules. The worst place to have a fire is on a ship in the middle of the ocean.

I have to agree with you there Sinbad10, my cheapo Apple charger blew up on me, fortunately the fuse blew before it could set on fire, but it certainly taught me a lesson, never buy anything from Apple their accessories are far too expensive.😉

15 hours ago, towny44 said:

I have to agree with you there Sinbad10, my cheapo Apple charger blew up on me, fortunately the fuse blew before it could set on fire, but it certainly taught me a lesson, never buy anything from Apple their accessories are far too expensive.😉

I recently paid £19 for a new iPad charger, expensive yes but worth every penny for peace of mind.

HLM.

21 hours ago, towny44 said:

I wonder if that is why P&O have a "no scooter" policy in most cabin's? 

I found even using the proper Apple charger it got very warm ,when I used it on Brittania,dread to think what using a scooter charger would have been like...Davybe

On 8/24/2018 at 9:44 AM, Davybe said:

I just use the plug and lead that came with my I pad ,and follow the cruise lines request to leave it on charge when we are in the cabin?

Celebrity Banned a Samsung phone from being charged up as they were fire hazard.why on earth people need multiple points to charge is beyond me....Davybe

I like to have a multi usb charger with me. We have a phone each to charge, my Fitbit watch and my Ipad as well as an e-reader each. With those 6 off the top of my head we are generally going to need at least 2 on charge at some time given my preference of only charging when I am actually present. All of my chargers are originals - no cheap China knock offs but I still wouldn`t leave them. Given that I am also a keen photographer I generally want to  charge at least 2 batteries overnight or for a few hours at a time too so prefer to have my usb unit with additional plugs on it by choice. HAL supposedly ban all extensions but will give you an approved one on request. They also ban travel kettles / irons  etc. I can see how those items might overload systems and never take them but the trickle charges with usb and battery chargers pose little risk. I`ll be taking mine with me and keeping it out of view whilst not in use.

On 8/24/2018 at 10:16 AM, sinbad10 said:

As a firefighter for 34yrs I would never dream of putting anything on charge and leaving it while not in the cabin or overnight whilst asleep seen the horrors that can happen and practice the same principle at home.

i agree totally sinbad i dont leave stuff at home on standby either i go round at night and turn off at the plug. the only time i charge stuff is when i am there during the day.but i do use a multi usb extension but it has surge protection etc. a bit pricey but as you say ive seen what can happen even with kosha chargers.