Davybe

Using your Mobile.

Like some on the forum I have a Smart phone but rarely use it on a cruise.

So do you lock yours in the safe, and take it out very little ,or are you a constant phone checker?

My Phone is rarely used on holiday or at home ,taken with us when we go out but hardly ever turned on even at home....Davybe

I rarely use a mobile at home or on holiday although I've recently got a new phone and for the first time ever I've decided not to have PAYG so I must admit I have used it a lot more in the last few weeks, I don't think I'll be becoming a constant phone checker though as I certainly don't want to make myself available 24/7 and definitely not when I am on holiday it's for emergencies only then 📱

I'm the same as sinbad10. At home & on holiday it lives in my handbag switched off so it's with me in the event of an emergency. Otherwise I only switch it on when my husband travels to watch Southampton FC so he can text me to say that he has arrived safely (home or away means a long journey from here).

I keep mine on I use the clock, I do phone home two or three times on a two week cruise, I also have the weather app I only read text messages from the family, I don’t use the internet Ilike the reassurance I can phone for help if required but my contract is good value.

I tend to turn my mobile off, a few miles after we've left the Port and the local signal behind. Similarly, I open the phone again when approaching, or more likely, upon arrival at the next Port.

I'm on a cruise, with hopefully a few days at sea, here and there, to look forward too? If I've anything to write or share, I'll find a café with free Wifi internet somewhere, rather than pay absurd amounts for a still oftimes very slow signal, that eats through US dollars in just a few minutes.

In a real emergency, of course I'd use it, that's what we all a part of, by  way of our Travel Insurance, surely? BUT paying for a continual 24/7/365 feed or coverage? Not at cruise company internet rates. 

i have to take it as i am self employed but it only gets turned on in port and only briefley to see if there are any texts. i take my laptop and have to put up with the wifi fees as i still need to keep up with work and need to send 2 or 3 emails a day. but it usually only takes an hour or so. i changed to payg from contract last year and in  that year ive only topped up £30 whereas when on contract it was £30 per month. i have a blackberry passport as it as proper keys etc and i dont need to change it every time a new thing comes out so it suits me. i dont use the phone to conect to the internet so that keeps costs down.

i even did away with a landline at home and i use an internet dongle that gives me 30gb a month for £20 which i have only once exceeded. ive saved a load in the last year or so.

Hi Davybe,

We consider ourselves privileged to spend quite a lot of our time away from home these days, visiting places of interest by land and sea.  I have a minimum of a smartphone and a tablet device with me whenever and wherever we are and like to use them to stay in touch with friends and family, access information on the places we are visiting  and stay in touch with news and sport.

At home, both my wife and I are available to our regular contacts online virtually all day, everyday.  That's the advantage of the modern world.  I don't like everything to which this exposes us but, currently, feel the risks are worth the reward.

DavidH

12 hours ago, mitch said:

i have to take it as i am self employed but it only gets turned on in port and only briefley to see if there are any texts. i take my laptop and have to put up with the wifi fees as i still need to keep up with work and need to send 2 or 3 emails a day. but it usually only takes an hour or so. i changed to payg from contract last year and in  that year ive only topped up £30 whereas when on contract it was £30 per month. i have a blackberry passport as it as proper keys etc and i dont need to change it every time a new thing comes out so it suits me. i dont use the phone to conect to the internet so that keeps costs down.

i even did away with a landline at home and i use an internet dongle that gives me 30gb a month for £20 which i have only once exceeded. ive saved a load in the last year or so.

Hi Mitch,I can understands anyone using their phone or tablet/laptop when traveling my daughter has to do the same thing .....Davybe

16 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

I often wonder what people used to do before the mobile phone/tablet when they went cruising.

Hi Sinbad.

This always in contact creates as many problems as it solves IMO.

We were on the coach coming home from a repo cruise, and a lady on the coach was distraught as she got messages on her phone telling her of a family death?but as her husband said ,"you were 3 days away from Southampton when you got the message, what could you have done" no consolation to his wife though?

I had to have my phone on throughout a cruise when my mother went into hospital 2  days before we departed, but in the main it is in the safe for most of the cruise....Davybe

22 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I rarely use a mobile at home or on holiday although I've recently got a new phone and for the first time ever I've decided not to have PAYG so I must admit I have used it a lot more in the last few weeks, I don't think I'll be becoming a constant phone checker though as I certainly don't want to make myself available 24/7 and definitely not when I am on holiday it's for emergencies only then 📱

We have PAYG which is probably why we do not use them very much?

Love to see people checking their phones on a repo cruise 3 days from anywhere ,swiping and gawping at their phones (Poor loves)....Davybe

Thing is we never know why people have their phones on so who are we to judge? Whether self employed / keeping in touch with loved ones or it`s just their pastime it`s up to them. me I use it on my allowance within the EU or whenever I can get wifi to stay  in touch and send edited photos back home to family and friends via WhattsApp. With a young granddaughter we love videocalls whenever we can get them and find it hard to go on holiday without them 

My mobile device, is rarely off. The last thing I use it for is to make voice calls. It is my watch, my diary, my calendar, my camera, my newspaper, my email reader, my bank account, my book etc, etc. I laugh at people who lug huge bags around the ships with all that stuff when there is simply no need. Yes, I do worry about losing it, but everything is backed up on my tablet which remains at home. 

When we leave Port it goes onto aeroplane mode to avoid charges. 

21 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

I am still on PAYG and dont use it enough to ever consider monthly contract use it just for emergencies. Top up £10 and it can last me for months.

I am the same Sinbad10, I do however keep wondering if a cheap Sim only deal might be worthwhile, Sky recently had one at £4 per month which is probably what I currently pay in top ups.  However I need to wait until my son gets a new phone on his contract and I can then have his old one, as the battery on my current one needs charging every day, even if I don't use it.

15 minutes ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

My mobile device, is rarely off. The last thing I use it for is to make voice calls. It is my watch, my diary, my calendar, my camera, my newspaper, my email reader, my bank account, my book etc, etc. I laugh at people who lug huge bags around the ships with all that stuff when there is simply no need. Yes, I do worry about losing it, but everything is backed up on my tablet which remains at home. 

When we leave Port it goes onto aeroplane mode to avoid charges. 

Instead of putting it into 'Aeroplane' mode why not switch off  ' Roaming and Mobile Data' instead. You will then still be able to use wi-fi and receive telephone calls without incurring roaming and data charges.

33 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Instead of putting it into 'Aeroplane' mode why not switch off  ' Roaming and Mobile Data' instead. You will then still be able to use wi-fi and receive telephone calls without incurring roaming and data charges.

That is exactly what we do, in fact I leave data off all the time, and as we mainly use texts on holiday switching off data does not stop us from receiving texts, and if we come across free wi-fi ashore its ready for us to use it.

46 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Because I won't pay for ship Wi-Fi so pointless in having it switched on, and it costs to receive calls and texts via maritime. 

I made the mistake of switching aeroplane mode off in April, rcvd one marketing text, cost me £10.

Switching it on and off takes one swipe and one press, no effort at all. 

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

my phone is just that mainly a phone. i get  the odd text usually about deliveries arriving or doctors appointments coming up,thats very handy. i never link to wifi or the interweb i only do that on the laptop i dont have emails pushed through to the phone nothings that urgent. they can wait till i turn on the laptop. that way i can have a clear distinction between work and private.