Davybe

Using your Mobile.

2 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Because I won't pay for ship Wi-Fi so pointless in having it switched on, and it costs to receive calls and texts via maritime. 

I made the mistake of switching aeroplane mode off in April, rcvd one marketing text, cost me £10.

Switching it on and off takes one swipe and one press, no effort at all. 

Really surprised as on mine it is free to receive texts even on the ships when at sea and unless I recognise the telephone number I don't answer it. Have to admit you are the first person I have ever heard of being charged £10 to receive a text.

20 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

I often wonder what people used to do before the mobile phone/tablet when they went cruising.

Different age, different era back in the early 70's . Before we had mobiles 46 years ago, yes thats how long they have been around, very few people went cruising. Those that did were mainly the wealthy who could leave the running of their companies and businesses to managers and Co-Directors and that's how it was until Airtours and Thomson broke into the market. Now customers, suppliers, publishers, editors want to speak with the person irrespective of where they are in the world and at anytime. I am not saying I agree with it but that is the modern world, the one we live in unfortunately or fortunately depending on what your job is in life.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Really surprised as on mine it is free to receive texts even on the ships when at sea and unless I recognise the telephone number I don't answer it. Have to admit you are the first person I have ever heard of being charged £10 to receive a text.

I think the charge was for connecting to the Internet via maritime. The text was just incidental. Some text/messaging apps are Web based. 

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

On 8/24/2018 at 12:09 PM, sinbad10 said:

I am still on PAYG and dont use it enough to ever consider monthly contract use it just for emergencies. Top up £10 and it can last me for months.

Are you aware that if a mobile isn't used ( I believe for 3 months ) then the mobile company will disconnect the number, this is what happened to me and I lost £50 worth of credit I had on the phone, I'm sure there are many like me who only ever used a phone occasionally and certainly for many years it was never a problem but the phone companies don't seem to want 'occasional' users now, I think I've got quite a good deal on the contract I've taken out but I guess time will tell. 

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

48 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Are you aware that if a mobile isn't used ( I believe for 3 months ) then the mobile company will disconnect the number, this is what happened to me and I lost £50 worth of credit I had on the phone, I'm sure there are many like me who only ever used a phone occasionally and certainly for many years it was never a problem but the phone companies don't seem to want 'occasional' users now, I think I've got quite a good deal on the contract I've taken out but I guess time will tell. 

Doesnt happen with my phone company used it for the first time last week in many months with no problem.

12 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Funnily enough a friend who was on the same network said it had never happened to her ... until a few weeks ago !!! 

I'm not suggesting every mobile company have adopted this system but it is worth knowing.

I have heard of this before, but the companies think you have changed provider or phones number ,Just checking your balance now and again lets them know your still with them.

Most of my yearly spend goes to Children In Need....Davybe

We go on cruises to get away from these things. It is on for the 200 mile trip to Southampton and home again. I text my son when we are on the ship as he likes to know we have arrived safely. It then goes in the safe until the return trip home. Why bother with a cruise just to keep finding out what is going off at home?

18 hours ago, terrierian said:

We go on cruises to get away from these things. It is on for the 200 mile trip to Southampton and home again. I text my son when we are on the ship as he likes to know we have arrived safely. It then goes in the safe until the return trip home. Why bother with a cruise just to keep finding out what is going off at home?

We landed in Barbados and on the coach to the ship you could hear the same conversation"We are here on our way to the ship. What your weather like??" why do we want to know if its raining at home.....Davybe

30 minutes ago, Davybe said:

We landed in Barbados and on the coach to the ship you could hear the same conversation"We are here on our way to the ship. What your weather like??" why do we want to know if its raining at home.....Davybe

yes its like they need affirmation that they are getting the best of it on holiday lol.

i checked my phone today, in the last 3 months ive received 4 calls made 8 and sent or received 23 texts most regarding hospital/doctors appointments what a sad life lol.

mind ive only topped up £5 in that time so i am happy.and theres still £4.37 credit.

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

It's obvious isn't it? So we can gloat. 😊

Traveling solo my family do ask me to use my phone to keep in touch, letting them know I've arrived safely onboard, also giving them peace  of mind should any problems arise. I only use my phone on Port days, having coffee using the free WiFi to WhatsApp home with updates.

One exception was:

Couple of days into a 17 day cruise on Ventura I had issues regarding my cabin, which reception staff were unable or unwilling to sort out, exasperated I decided to e.mail P&O head office with my concerns. Within 24 hours I had been contacted by the Hotel Manager, moved cabins, nice bottle of wine delivered and £'s credited to my account. 

This action was out of character for me, normally preferring to complement and give positive feedback where appropriate. 

My phone came in handy that day!

It so depends on your experence, my Father was taken Ill and went into hospital I wanted to know how he was even down to still alive, phoned home daily, my grandson was also ill when we were away, some people we became friends with, the man lost his credit card, so needed to phone his bank, nothing to do with gloating,  he had no coverage with his phone but I did.

be glad you have not had my experence and take care who you disapprove of using the phone.

I am one of those “sad” people who takes their phone everywhere on holiday. I do occasionally call home to check on my parents or my children and let them know about the day we have had. But my phone is used for so many other things. A camera that is with me always, a guide for things to see and do in a place that I am unfamiliar with or find a local cafe etc, a sat nav to help me find my way quickly to a particular place, a currency calculator, an alarm clock, I could go on. However did we cope before smart phones? We managed because we had to. But now we don’t have to, so I have embraced them.

8 minutes ago, iknowlescourier said:

I am one of those “sad” people who takes their phone everywhere on holiday. I do occasionally call home to check on my parents or my children and let them know about the day we have had. But my phone is used for so many other things. A camera that is with me always, a guide for things to see and do in a place that I am unfamiliar with or find a local cafe etc, a sat nav to help me find my way quickly to a particular place, a currency calculator, an alarm clock, I could go on. However did we cope before smart phones? We managed because we had to. But now we don’t have to, so I have embraced them.

Same as me. 

I remember sitting next to a lady, who was the same age as me. She looked at me "playing" with my phone. Then pulled out of her huge beach bag a book, a puzzle book, calculator, diary, journal, travel guide, map, newspaper, etc, etc. She smirked and said "I'm glad I don't need to fetch one of those with me". I showed her that I had all the thing she had (up to date, not several years old) on my phone. 

Refusing to move with the times, and to use what is available to us, is the fastest route to old age I know.

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

On 8/29/2018 at 5:30 AM, iknowlescourier said:

I never make or receive phone calls on a cruise, but I am another who keeps the phone at hand all the time.  If I am not taking photos, I may be editing pics already taken, reading a book, or even doing Sudoku or word puzzles.  On shore I find free wifi to message the family and read emails while I have a cup of coffee.  I download self guided walking tours and maps of ports before leaving home and find them very useful.

8 minutes ago, smtcan said:

I never make or receive phone calls on a cruise, but I am another who keeps the phone at hand all the time.  If I am not taking photos, I may be editing pics already taken, reading a book, or even doing Sudoku or word puzzles.  On shore I find free wifi to message the family and read emails while I have a cup of coffee.  I download self guided walking tours and maps of ports before leaving home and find them very useful.

I rarely make phone calls at home or away. 

It is only those who do not use smart phones who assume that others are texting home, or checking social media. We who do use them know that they are replacing all the stuff that those who don't are carrying about. 

Those are hilarious Davy, but some of them show just how dangerous it can be.  Fortunately I need to be seated and out of direct sunlight in order to see what I am doing, so I think I am safe while I surf.

Was just saying that to my son the other day, when an old codger gentleman blocked the supermarket aisle as he considered his marmalade choices. Oblivious that he had brought the whole shop to a standstill for 5 mins.

Let's not talk about those who take one step through a door then stop dead. (Mainly to be found outside toilets on cruise ships). 

Edited by HthrEdmndsn

20 hours ago, HthrEdmndsn said:

Was just saying that to my son the other day, when an old codger gentleman blocked the supermarket aisle as he considered his marmalade choices. Oblivious that he had brought the whole shop to a standstill for 5 mins.

Let's not talk about those who take one step through a door then stop dead. (Mainly to be found outside toilets on cruise ships). 

Or talk about those taking ages in the bank to sort out their phones to pay or draw out cash? .

Nothing worse than some woman waiting until she has put all her shopping on top of her purse, then discovering she has to pay for the food?Or the young mums blocking the pavements whilst they chat away, stopping the old codgers on their mobility scooters from getting to the shops,

Must be nice to be perfect....Davybe