Jump to content
doca

2020 bookings?

Recommended Posts

I'm struggling to understand how the advance bookings system works - and the P&O website doesn't help at all!

I'm looking to get a couple of bookings with P&O for 2020 (May or later) - what's the best way to get them at a good price, please, what are the key dates, and am I better going through Bolsover or through P&O direct - there seem to be differences in the way they handle these very early bookings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would say talk to bolsover, you dont have to book anything they will advise you well. some cruises booked so far in advance have reduced deposit requirements some have extra obc. at times bolsover have cash bonuses to reduce the cost. i think they have one for the bank holiday. they will definately book any deal on the p&o website. ive never had a problem just asking their advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be cheaper booking with Bolsover rather than direct with P&O. Also if you want to take advantage of pre registration you can tell Bolsover 4-5 cabins of choice that you would be happy to book and if on sale date they are available Bolsover will go ahead and book. If you pre register with P&O they dont accept any cabin choice just grade of cabin and they book at their choice anywhere on the ship within that grade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

It will be cheaper booking with Bolsover rather than direct with P&O. Also if you want to take advantage of pre registration you can tell Bolsover 4-5 cabins of choice that you would be happy to book and if on sale date they are available Bolsover will go ahead and book. If you pre register with P&O they dont accept any cabin choice just grade of cabin and they book at their choice anywhere on the ship within that grade.

Thanks. That’s precisely what I’m looking for. I have a small number of cabins in mind that would be suitable for our needs - subject of course to the price they go on at.

So presumably I’ll be able to see the prices for those cabins at some point in advance of the actual ‘go live’ date? And then I tell Bolsover what I’d ideally like them to book?

What are the important dates please?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, doca said:

Thanks. So pre-registration opens on 3 September - are all the prices available on that day?

Yes they should be if not viewable online a phone call to Bolsover and they will tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For past passengers, If booking in the launch period, P&O normally give 5% discount on brochure prices, there will also be some cruises that are classed as Peninsular cruises which will provide a further 5% discount for Peninsular club members.  In addition Bolsover normally offer an additional discount at launch periods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the prices are there but there's a bit of a discrepancy between the P&O prices shown and the Bolsover prices, which seem higher.  That's clearly not possible, so I'm guessing the P&O prices are shown after deducting the 10% 'previous customer' discount?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, doca said:

Well, the prices are there but there's a bit of a discrepancy between the P&O prices shown and the Bolsover prices, which seem higher.  That's clearly not possible, so I'm guessing the P&O prices are shown after deducting the 10% 'previous customer' discount?

I think that is probably because  the headline prices on the P&O site seem to show the early saver prices, you need to open up the individual cruises to see the select prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, towny44 said:

I think that is probably because  the headline prices on the P&O site seem to show the early saver prices, you need to open up the individual cruises to see the select prices.

I've done that - and I'm using the actual Select category prices, but the figures Bolsover are using seem higher for some reason.  There seems to be a mismatch between the prices they're using as a starting point and those on the P&O website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, doca said:

I've done that - and I'm using the actual Select category prices, but the figures Bolsover are using seem higher for some reason.  There seems to be a mismatch between the prices they're using as a starting point and those on the P&O website.

I have not done a thorough check, but I have 1 cruise that matches my theory and one where bolsover is higher, so I suspect P&O might have adjusted some prices after giving them to the TAs.  For clarification on yours I suggest you ring Bolsover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you say towny44 it's best to ring & check. The one that we've registered for was around £1800 on P & Os site but an eye watering £70040.00 on Bolsovers. I got the biggest discount ever on Bolsovers price😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have checked with Bolsover - but they can't explain the discrepancy!  They seem to be working off different prices from those shown on the P&O website, and my guess is that the prices they were given in advance by P&O have changed at the last minute.

 

Something to be aware of when you're making advance reservations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the same itineraries being repeated ad-nauseam by the 4 bigger ships in 2020, the selection is much more boring than normal I feel.  I think P&O are going all-out to attract new customers.  I really am not sure how they are going to get 5000+ pax each & every week to fill Iona going up to the Fjords...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 2torts said:

As you say towny44 it's best to ring & check. The one that we've registered for was around £1800 on P & Os site but an eye watering £70040.00 on Bolsovers. I got the biggest discount ever on Bolsovers price😂😂

Yes I saw that one and just assumed it was an IT glitch,.  Anyway I have priced up a couple that interest us and the 10% discount has definitely been taken off the P&O web price.

Incidentally Bolsover have advised me that fluid pricing will not commence until cruises open for general sale, so they should be fixed until 12th for Iona and 19th for the rest of the fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the direct/agent debate, I think the Iona prices overall aren't bad at all. As a family of 3 looking at summer holidays 2020, the prices are much better than I expected for that time of year and the fact that it's a new ship.

I do wish they'd gone a little more creative with Iona than what I've seen of her so far, especially if they really want to rival Royal Caribbean in the family market but that said, it does look a nice ship and despite the slight dissapointment, I did expect them to be their usual reserved selves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sammy sun said:

Aside from the direct/agent debate, I think the Iona prices overall aren't bad at all. As a family of 3 looking at summer holidays 2020, the prices are much better than I expected for that time of year and the fact that it's a new ship.

I do wish they'd gone a little more creative with Iona than what I've seen of her so far, especially if they really want to rival Royal Caribbean in the family market but that said, it does look a nice ship and despite the slight dissapointment, I did expect them to be their usual reserved selves.

Regarding booking with agent or direct.

Why not get the best of both worlds, lots of cruise lines offer onboard booking with extra benefits ,and will refer your booking back to your agent? who may give a further discount .

We did one on Celebrity which gave us ONC for the cruise were on plus extra OBC for the cruise we booked, and we could and have changed the booking at no cost to us.....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In our experence, the best price and OBC is when a cruise event is on, when all the cruise lines are putting out the best possible deals, I have only once booked while aboard a cruise ship, so I am not is a good position to say what is best, just what I have experienced 

for us nothing like a cup of coffee and a session on the lap top, plus the Saturday newspaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the cruise line what offers you get when booking another cruise while onboard but on Cunard if you book onboard you get $200pp for an inside cabin and up to $400pp for a grill suite so that is a lot of basically "free money" to spend onboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×