apply direct on the usa gov website its cheaper. the one esta will cover you for both cruises if you apply now as its valid for a year. assuming the islands your visiting are british or european then thats all you will need.

2 hours ago, Ikea Logistics said:

the US esta lasts for 2 years mitch if he is coming from the US to canada he may not need the canadian version

sorry didnt see the canada bit.

17 minutes ago, smtcan said:

If you fly into Canada you need a Canadian ESTA, but if you cross from USA at a land border you do not.

How long has Canada required ESTAs for UK passport holders? We travelled frequently up to 2010 and never needed one.

Edited by towny44

8 hours ago, towny44 said:

How long has Canada required ESTAs for UK passport holders? We travelled frequently up to 2010 and never needed one.

It is a requirement brought in earlier this year Towny although I believe called an ETA, as smtcan says only required if you are flying in, if arriving by sea or crossing from the US by land you don't need one.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:24 AM, Tally said:

We've done the USA several times. The last time was a USA and Caribbean cruise. You'll need an ESTA for the USA which you can apply for online. 

thanks tally,  alwod

On 10/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, alwood said:

thanks tally,  alwod

You're welcome Alwood. I hope you have everything sorted now and you're mind is at rest. Enjoy your cruises.😊

We just did a Vancouver and Alaska cruise trip and needed an ESTA for the US which lasts 2 years and an ETA for Canada which lasts for 5 years - or until your passport expires for each. Do not be like the 2 Chineses girls on one of our independent trips from Skagway USA into the Canadian Yukon territory! They had boarded at Seattle on a celebrity cruise stating they had all relevant visas. They did not have an ETA and were turned back by Canadian border guards at the Fraser Crossing. They were taken off our bus with luggage  in the middle of nowhere and I understand had to wait 2 hours for Celebrity staff to come and get them at their own expense. You need both whether landing in Canada by air, land or sea. If in doubt call your travel company - don`t listen to a public forum.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:56 AM, *Dancing Queen* said:

It is a requirement brought in earlier this year Towny although I believe called an ETA, as smtcan says only required if you are flying in, if arriving by sea or crossing from the US by land you don't need one.

This is not correct - 2 Chinese girls on one of our land trips crossing the Fraser border crossing by bus on a one day return trip to Skagway know all too different. You need an ETA

Perhaps the Chinese girls were not British passport holders, this is my understanding of the new rules however I wouldn't suggest anyone take it as 'gospel' as with all travel the individual should always check what visa requirements are needed for any country they are travelling to.