Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Princess cruises from UK

Recommended Posts

My very first cruise was taken on Grand Princess around the Med from Southampton & I was hooked!   Having had enjoyable cruises with P&O plus Royal Caribbean, Princess are still my preferred choice of cruise line. 

In my experience service in all areas has been exceptional, the cabin stewards always seem to be one step ahead and address you by your name (not 'Sir orMadam'). Bar staff remember your coffee / drinks preferences, plus waiters are attentive without being intrusive. 

Food in the MDR & buffet has been of a high standard with plenty of choice. Entertainment is varied in different venues and caters for most passengers tastes. 

Onboard the atmosphere always appears happy and comfortable, the atrium being the hub and is always buzzing. Good mixture of formal & smart casual evenings to suit everyone.  

I've always found a mixture of ages and nationalities who are travelling to enjoy their cruise experience. 

I will certainly be looking at their itineries and prices. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Captain Kidd II said:

I booked a 7 day cruise, for next year, sailing from Southampton just as a taster. Looking forward to the change. 😊😎

We are thinking of doing the same thing....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a Caribbean cruise aboard Sea Princess many years ago and will be doing my second Princess cruise next year on Coral Princess (Alaska).  I am booked up for 2020 but could be tempted to sail ex UK on Island Princess if she is here in 2021 (and if I am still here of course 😄).  In general Princess do not attract me as I prefer smaller ships and most of theirs are Azura/Britannia size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went on the Crown Princess from Southampton and took both our elder Grandsons, we had a wonderful time, the shows were the best we have ever seen at sea. The drinks package was very good value, we had two balcony cabins next to each other, and the screen between the balcony was opened which was great, the boys thought the food was better than P&O and Cunard and that the crew were more friendly we were also surprised that our past cruise history was taken into account and all four of us were given elite loyalty status so got invited to all the party’s nothing negative to say

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I could certainly be tempted if they were to sail out of the UK during the winter months when we prefer to cruise , I guess that isn't on the cards at the moment if it ever will be.

You may remember DQ that RCI tried that and had Independence in Southampton all year, but it only happened once, I imagine they found it far less profitable than having it in the Caribbean.  So I don't see it happening again in the near future, on any US line.

The other issue I have with Princess from the UK is the boringly repetitive itineraries they have, all the Med ones seem to include Rome and Florence which we have done and don't want to repeat.  They also have had very expensive launch prices over recent years and, as we need an accessible cabin this is an issue, especially as they nearly always have much lower prices later on, and you can still pick your cabin and dining preference on these, which I imagine will suit the majority of potential passengers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess comes close to Celebrity in my opinion.  I have cruised on Star, Ruby and Royal and enjoyed them all.  I like their International Cafe for a light lunch or snack and their MDR food is quite acceptable.  The only thing I don't like is plastic plates and mugs in the buffet - makes it too much like a canteen in my opinion.  However, the coffee, tea and juice table service there is a plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, towny44 said:

You may remember DQ that RCI tried that and had Independence in Southampton all year, but it only happened once, I imagine they found it far less profitable than having it in the Caribbean.  So I don't see it happening again in the near future, on any US line.

The other issue I have with Princess from the UK is the boringly repetitive itineraries they have, all the Med ones seem to include Rome and Florence which we have done and don't want to repeat.  They also have had very expensive launch prices over recent years and, as we need an accessible cabin this is an issue, especially as they nearly always have much lower prices later on, and you can still pick your cabin and dining preference on these, which I imagine will suit the majority of potential passengers.

I don't recall that Towny, I obviously wasn't looking for an alternative at the time but now our travels are limited to Europe the choice is very limited and I'm sure we are not alone !! I'm not particularly a fan of 'mega ships' but would be willing to give them a try for the right itinerary, I agree cruises from the UK do have the same boring repetitive itineraries and it isn't just Princess !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I could certainly be tempted if they were to sail out of the UK during the winter months when we prefer to cruise , I guess that isn't on the cards at the moment if it ever will be.

I can't imagine there would be a big demand for sailing out of UK in the winter months.  The weather is so unpredictable and the length of time taken to reach sunshine would put many people off.  The outward journey would not be too bad, because of improving temperatures, but the return would be depressing for me.  We once cruised  to the Caribbean out of Baltimore.  There was snow on the decks  when we left and it took three days to reach the sun.  The Caribbean was hot, but the three days back North had everyone crowded inside.  Even though the snow had gone when we got back, it was still a miserable end to a trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smtcan said:

I can't imagine there would be a big demand for sailing out of UK in the winter months.  The weather is so unpredictable and the length of time taken to reach sunshine would put many people off.  The outward journey would not be too bad, because of improving temperatures, but the return would be depressing for me.  We once cruised  to the Caribbean out of Baltimore.  There was snow on the decks  when we left and it took three days to reach the sun.  The Caribbean was hot, but the three days back North had everyone crowded inside.  Even though the snow had gone when we got back, it was still a miserable end to a trip.

P&O manage several itineraries out of the UK in winter, Med, Canaries and Caribbean as well as some Christmas market cruises to Europe and Northern lights ones, all of them between Nov and early March, and most of them are full.  RCI's brief foray with Independence relied too heavily on Canaries cruises, if they had followed P&O's example I imagine it would have been a success, and quite profitable compared with the weak margins they have with their Caribbean sailings, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, towny44 said:

You may remember DQ that RCI tried that and had Independence in Southampton all year, but it only happened once, I imagine they found it far less profitable than having it in the Caribbean.  So I don't see it happening again in the near future, on any US line.

The other issue I have with Princess from the UK is the boringly repetitive itineraries they have, all the Med ones seem to include Rome and Florence which we have done and don't want to repeat.  They also have had very expensive launch prices over recent years and, as we need an accessible cabin this is an issue, especially as they nearly always have much lower prices later on, and you can still pick your cabin and dining preference on these, which I imagine will suit the majority of potential passengers.

From what I remember RCI said ,they had trouble filling the ships in the winter months, as crossing the BOB in winter had little appeal to passengers?

The cruise lines which do fill up over the cold months are full of cruisers like us who prefer not to Fly to cruise, and the prices are often a lot cheaper than in the summer.....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Davybe, there doesn't seem to be a problem filling the ships we go on from Southampton with people who prefer not to fly, I don't particularly mind flying I just don't like all the hassle of airports these days so much prefer to cross the bay, I do wish the cruise lines would be a little more imaginative with the itineraries though, for the first time in thirty odd years we are seriously considering a land based holiday for Christmas in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trouble is cruise lines cannot just "magic" ports that will not perhaps be able to take the larger ships or the infastructure of these ships perhaps without the use of tenders and we all know what a pain they can be. We all would like different ports but its easy just to suggest it without the naming of such places and whether it is practical that cruise lines can dock there and I am sure they have investigated many times to try and find new ports. Princess for 2019 have dropped Gibraltar from Med cruises and instead calling at Ceuta in Spanish Morocco which I am sure have some moaning because of not being able to buy cheap fags/booze end of the day you cannot please everybody.

Edited by sinbad10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Trouble is cruise lines cannot just "magic" ports that will not perhaps be able to take the larger ships or the infastructure of these ships perhaps without the use of tenders and we all know what a pain they can be. We all would like different ports but its easy just to suggest it without the naming of such places and whether it is practical that cruise lines can dock there and I am sure they have investigated many times to try and find new ports. Princess for 2019 have dropped Gibraltar from Med cruises and instead calling at Ceuta in Spanish Morocco which I am sure have some moaning because of not being able to buy cheap fags/booze end of the day you cannot please everybody.

I have noticed that some small ports where you used to tender now do have docking facilities, of course they may not have the facilities for 5000 passenger ships, but I imagine most can cope with 2000-3600 without too much difficulty, and local entrepreneurs would probably be more than happy to take some of their money.  But possibly not in the winter months, which is maybe where Iona could be in its element with its glass roofed pool area to keep stay on board guests warm and entertained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Trouble is cruise lines cannot just "magic" ports that will not perhaps be able to take the larger ships or the infastructure of these ships perhaps without the use of tenders and we all know what a pain they can be. We all would like different ports but its easy just to suggest it without the naming of such places and whether it is practical that cruise lines can dock there and I am sure they have investigated many times to try and find new ports. Princess for 2019 have dropped Gibraltar from Med cruises and instead calling at Ceuta in Spanish Morocco which I am sure have some moaning because of not being able to buy cheap fags/booze end of the day you cannot please everybody.

I wasn't suggesting cruise lines 'magic' ports and I appreciate there are limitations re docking facilities for ships with 5000+ passengers, a few years ago we did a Xmas Med cruise ( 19 days I think ) which enabled us to go a bit further afield than your normal 14 night Med cruise, this was a Cunard cruise and has never been repeated which is a shame as we visited some lovely ports, instead they now seem to concentrate on the Canaries which is good in so much as the weather is more or less guaranteed but so repetitive it is becoming boring !! we like to do back to back but Cunard seem to have discontinued doing something different pre Xmas and we really don't want to do what is basically two cruises which are the same so our choices are definitely reduced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was quite surprised  how many people do the same cruise over and over again? 

We met a couple from a group of 5 who sailed to Russia from Harwich for 5 years first sailing booked same cabins and never got off the ship? not for me but as they say "Nowt so queer as folk".....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Davybe said:

I was quite surprised  how many people do the same cruise over and over again? 

We met a couple from a group of 5 who sailed to Russia from Harwich for 5 years first sailing booked same cabins and never got off the ship? not for me but as they say "Nowt so queer as folk".....Davybe

When you can only cruise from Southampton, and are a wheelchair user who prefers the modern ships with good W/c facilities, then you are limited to the bigger ships which do seem to have recurring itineraries. You then very quickly run out of new ports, but if this is your only way to take an overseas holiday with good weather then you have little choice but to the same cruises over and over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, towny44 said:

When you can only cruise from Southampton, and are a wheelchair user who prefers the modern ships with good W/c facilities, then you are limited to the bigger ships which do seem to have recurring itineraries. You then very quickly run out of new ports, but if this is your only way to take an overseas holiday with good weather then you have little choice but to the same cruises over and over again.

Sadly we are now in that position ,but in fairness we do enjoy revisiting most of the same ports, but try to use different ship?.

If we cruised this time of the year we would not go North,did it once but my wife cannot stand being cold ,so the Canaries would be our choice.....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×