Davybe

Renewing a Passport.

Just start the process of renewing both our passports, and thought I would share what I found out .

You have several options,

1 Fill in form provide Pictures and post your self,

2Do it all on line which is the cheapest ,if you can upload your own pictures or get the taken Digitally at a shop?

3 Fill in form supply pictures and get Post Office to check and send (Dearest way)

4 You can get the Post office to do a digital form and Pictures for you (Extra cost around £16) which may be a good option for some.

And do not to forget to check Your EHIC card which may need renewing (Free of Charge)....Davybe

3 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

At least, with the Post Office, you know there are not any problems with your application and your photo is ok. Get things wrong and you can be playing ping-pong.

The on line form and procedure is so simple and easy to follow that even a technophobe like me found it a doddle.

13 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

At least, with the Post Office, you know there are not any problems with your application and your photo is ok. Get things wrong and you can be playing ping-pong.

I was  surprised to find out the Post Office can at some places do a digital application for you? just about the second cheapest way of doing it....Davybe

I renewed online last year.

Biggest problem was my photo kept failing to register because the software couldn't "find the outline of my head". Trouble was my grey hair wasn't standing out enough from the beige wall I was standing against. Took loads of photos from slightly different angles, different lighting conditions and using different devices, and submitting all of them, one by one, until one passed the initial software test. After that it was easy peasy. 

20 hours ago, Jenjen said:

Just my opinion of cause, but we use the post office it’s the most reliable and over the application with a fine tooth comb and it is secure in these days of identity fraud We like the peace of mind.

If we renew again (Will be 85) I would opt for the Digital application and pay the fee at the post office for them to do it all, including taking the pictures, as you say peace of mind....Davybe

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

If we renew again (Will be 85) I would opt for the Digital application and pay the fee at the post office for them to do it all, including taking the pictures, as you say peace of mind....Davybe

I can't remember how long it took to fill in the form, do the photo and ensure everything was correct, but I guess it was more than a few minutes, which I certainly don't want to spend in our local post office.  Especially as there is only one counter and the queue build up would be considerable.

I accept that the new system where they no longer allow you to renew up to 9 months ahead, and have unused time added on to the new passport may lead to people waiting till the last minute, but I think I would rather lose a little money and renew early, rather than faff about in a cold draughty post office, creating long queues, just to guarantee a speedy renewal.

21 hours ago, towny44 said:

I can't remember how long it took to fill in the form, do the photo and ensure everything was correct, but I guess it was more than a few minutes, which I certainly don't want to spend in our local post office.  Especially as there is only one counter and the queue build up would be considerable.

I accept that the new system where they no longer allow you to renew up to 9 months ahead, and have unused time added on to the new passport may lead to people waiting till the last minute, but I think I would rather lose a little money and renew early, rather than faff about in a cold draughty post office, creating long queues, just to guarantee a speedy renewal.

Ours is a nice new post office and there was no queuing ,and I was told the time they take to renew was the same no matter which method you decided on.Not all post offices offer the full service.

My problem was getting the right pictures and uploading them, just gave up not worth the hassle....Davybe

36 minutes ago, Davybe said:

Ours is a nice new post office and there was no queuing ,and I was told the time they take to renew was the same no matter which method you decided on.Not all post offices offer the full service.

My problem was getting the right pictures and uploading them, just gave up not worth the hassle....Davybe

I must have lucky Davybe, I just cropped a photo of my wife to show head and shoulders, as it suggested, and their system did the rest, ending up as just a head photo.  I think you do need to ensure there is a plain background, preferably creamish rather than stark white, and the new passport was back only a day or so later, great system.  Mine's not due for renewal until 2025 so plenty of time for me to completely forget how to do it!😉

After the initial problem with my missing head (see above) I too was surprised with turnaround time. Email notifications of progress was reassuring. Day after application was submitted I got notice that it was approved. Then again when it had been despatched. Less than a week from beginning to end.

You are not allowed to "get it wrong" by submitting online. If any questions are missed etc the problem area is highlighted, and the submit button is greyed out. The form is checked automatically as you enter the info and any discrepancies highlighted. Once the form is submitted (unless you have not disclosed anything, or deliberately lied about anything) your passport will be renewed. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, towny44 said:

Hi  we have just renewed our passports online and had 9 months left to go.  They do still let you do this and we have 10years and 9 months on the shiny new passports.  However both passports went to different offices, had we gone to the post office they would have gone to the same office.  Both photos had a white edge showing, hubbies was accepted but Newport chucked my photo out.  Took a lot of prising that info out of them, dealing with HMRC is easier than the passport office.   The post office is quicker.