Sign in to follow this  
mitch

lest we forget

ok i am ex army so perhaps a little more sensitive than most on this subject.

on arcadia today a rememberance service was held in the theatre very good i have to say.

then on deck 9 at the stern a service was held and the ensign lowered to half mast last post 2 minutes silence etc. very good.

however some of the sun worshippers on deck 9 never moved from their sunbeds etc some chatted all through the 2 minutes silence at least one woman asked people standing to move out of "her" sun.

one woman did put a sundress over her bikini and stood for the 2 minute silence bravo.

all i have to say is millions died so they have the freedom to show such disrespect to others.

rant over.

Edited by mitch
missed a bit

13 hours ago, mitch said:

on arcadia today a rememberance service was held in the theatre very good i have to say.

then on deck 9 at the stern a service was held and the ensign lowered to half mast last post 2 minutes silence etc. very good.

however some of the sun worshippers on deck 9 never moved from their sunbeds etc some chatted all through the 2 minutes silence at least one woman asked people standing to move out of "her" sun.

one woman did put a sundress over her bikini and stood for the 2 minute silence bravo.

all i have to say is millions died so they have the freedom to show such disrespect to others.

rant over.

Unacceptable!

Like you Mitch, I am ex forces and find this type of attitude unacceptable. Just another example of the 'I know my rights' society that has evolved.

On Saturday I visited The Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey. Nearly 380 plots representing the millions that travelled across the globe coming to our assistance.

We Will Remember Them.

22 hours ago, mitch said:

rant over.

It never ceases to amaze me how disrespectful some people can be.

They need realise that the very people they are disrespecting died for their freedom, which intern allows them to enjoy their cruising holidays.

HLM.

We have had two rememberance Sundays at sea one on Arcadia and one on Oceana.

Both were very moving services to attend,the One on Oceana had several young men with visible wounds ,I presumed they were wounded in  Afghanistan ,I found it hard not to shed quite a few tears. Both services were will attended.

Our Local Service was very well attended with the church struggling to seat everyone ,and the Outdoor service was also well attended,Some people just have no thought or respect for what others have sacrificed ,so they can live free.....Davybe

After my last post we went shopping, and passing the Memorial Gardens ,which are just up the road, we saw groups of school children leaving the gardens.Thought it nice that a local school had taken the children there .

Some schools and Nursery's in Wales make quite an effort for remembrance Sunday.....Davybe

A very reasonable 'rant' Mitch.  I have some very big reservations about many of the more recent 'hostilities' the UK has involved itself in but the two World Wars were indeed fought for very altruistic reasons and the hundreds of thousands who lost their lives do indeed need to be remembered.  I have had the privilege of visiting Tyne Cot Cemetery and Ypres, which I found very moving.

I was in Southampton on Sunday (sadly not getting on or off a ship) and attended the Remembrance Service at the City's Cenotaph.  I don't normally do this but felt it important to mark the 100th Anniversary of the end of WW1.  It was good to see a lot of young people and young families there.

i have to say i have been impressed with the involvement of the young over the last few years especially with the efforts made by schools. a few years ago i did some talks along with other veterans at some local primary schools and was impressed by the efforts they were making.

thats why i was so annoyed/shocked at the attitude of the older generation of sunbathers on the cruise many given their age must have lived through some of the second world war even though v young.

i am of the veiw that whatever the conflict and the political issues leading to it the fallen should not be forgotten because the conflict is disliked. the armed forces proceed at the will of the government and do their best to fulfill the task given them. for many years serving in northern ireland we were abused over there and even at home by some so in a small way i understand how the american veterans from vietnam feel.

also the fallen must include freind and foe alike, i met an argentinian veteran of the falklands war at a rugby match at twickenham, in a bar of course and it wasnt until 3 parts the way through the night that the subject got mentioned and we realised we were not far apart on one particular night. lights swung and much more beer was drunk.(if your ex forces youll understand the lights reference lol).