Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Tourist Tax in Venice.

no it wouldnt put me off but ive been there done that.

the problems in venice though are more fundamental, the locals are being forced out due to property prices and corporates and airbnb landlords buying up property.

i cant see the proceeds going where its actually needed to protect venice from disappearing into the water or to help locals.

italian politics and finances are notoriously corrupt so i dont see it doing much good.

As I said on another forum "Will be interesting to see how the cruise lines 'collect' the charge and on whom the charge will be made. Will it just be passengers or will it be the crew as well. Will it be 'transparent' on the holiday invoice or will the cruise lines say 'It's included in the fare' allowing them to charge what they like. What if you remain on the ship when you do not become a visitor until you step foot on the quayside."

Currently cruise ships pay large amounts every day in berthing fees but I wonder how much of that goes back into the pot to improve the infrastructure and how much goes into the pockets of the companies that own the various operations!!

As it will be charged to hotels as well, it will not be a tax just on day-trippers.  This is nothing new really.  I have seen a 'tourist-tax' added to hotel bills in a number of places around the world.  In the USA, many cities add a "local tax" to hotel bills.  I am sure that cruise lines will just take it into account when they price up cruises calling there.  It certainly wouldn't put me off visiting - after all, it is probably less than the cost of a coffee in St Mark's Square 😀