Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Cruising on TV

Nice week this week for cruise ship fans, 

Wednesday Ch5 repeat of Documentary on the Mega ship Freedom of the seas, Worth watching on catch up to why the Captain is reluctant to e on TV, and how many Lobsters one guest eats?

Thursday ITV1 Nice start to this 6 part series ,mainly about getting ready for  the New year party.

Friday  Ch5 New Jane MacDonald series starts ,hope they are up to the usual standard....Davybe

Watched Majestic Princess on The Cruise last night and even though we love Princess didnt stop me thinking it was a bit "naff" with some of the daytime activities. Used to seeing making and throwing paper planes in the Atrium and dropping an egg from top floor of Atrium and somebody has to catch it without breaking it but "elevator game" and "golf on the stairs" reached a new level and to an outsider would definitely look like "Butlins at Sea".

2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Watched Majestic Princess on The Cruise last night and even though we love Princess didnt stop me thinking it was a bit "naff" with some of the daytime activities. Used to seeing making and throwing paper planes in the Atrium and dropping an egg from top floor of Atrium and somebody has to catch it without breaking it but "elevator game" and "golf on the stairs" reached a new level and to an outsider would definitely look like "Butlins at Sea".

It is amazing what the yanks find entertaining ,The "belly flop " comp is still done on some cruises.

May get to try Princess this next year, friends like them a lot...Davybe

20 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

I must admit I was watching this thinking "Maybe I don`t want to do a Princess cruise after all". Any non-cruisers watching that must have thought it was even worse than Butlins!

I haven't watched The Cruise yet but have recorded it.  I assume that there would be a lot of Australians aboard and I understand that they enjoy their cruises in a somewhat 'informal' way....

6 hours ago, jinky said:

Any non-cruisers watching that must have thought it was even worse than Butlins!

Not sure what Butlins is like as I have never been to one. I have however been to other 'holiday camp/complexes and to me cruising on many ships is no more than a holiday camp/complex at sea as both offer very similar amenities both with their own advantages and disadvantages. I think we need to remember that with all the new ships coming on line over the next few years there is basically only one place the cruise lines are going to attract new customers from and that is those who currently frequent holiday complexes in the sun. These complexes offer in my personal experience very similar experiences to that of a modern cruise ship but with advantages. They don't charge extra for speciality restaurants, very seldom is there a problem finding sun beds, the rooms are much larger than cabins with walk in showers, good range of toiletries and usually have balconies, drinks if not inclusive are at sensible prices. Therefore to attract people away from these complexes the ships have to offer something similar. Time will tell.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:24 AM, jinky said:

I must admit I was watching this thinking "Maybe I don`t want to do a Princess cruise after all". Any non-cruisers watching that must have thought it was even worse than Butlins!

I must admit some of the resort /Mega ships have no appeal to me ,we  both prefer something a bit less "in your face" ?

Usually over breakfast we decide what Not to do that day? so much choice of activities on most ships, just having a quite rest and reading has a lot of appeal at times....Davybe

Caught up with both Jane McDonald and The Cruise last night.  A bit same-old, same-old with Jane - as much about her as it is the cruise.  I fast-forwarded through a few bits of her in Aus before getting on the ship!

Re The Cruise, I am on Coral Princess in Alaska later this year.  It is one of their smaller ships so sadly I may not get the chance to play the ever-so-exciting "Elevator Roulette" 🙄.  I do so hope we get the chance to see the Entertainments Team doing their "Bavarian Thigh-Slapping Routine" - not! 😁

Unfortunately, I don't have a birthday whilst on board so wont have three violinists playing happy birthday and a plethora of officers presenting me with roses - after all, they obviously do that for everyone with a birthday on board.....