Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Amsterdam Tourist tax?

Looks like another port has decided that Cruisers are a Tax Cash Cow.

It May Backfire as two cruise lines MSC and CMV have decided to drop Amsterdam  from their current cruises as they gave short notice ?

Cruise lines are pricing cruises up 2 years in advance so Tax Changes have an impact on their profits.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/how-new-tourist-taxes-are-targeting-cruise-passengers/.....Davybe

I'm afraid I can't get very excited about this.  This type of tax is already charged to hotel rooms for overnight visitors - and they spend a lot more than cruise passengers do.  Of course, cruise lines never increase a charge after they have published an itinerary do they (for instance raise the gratuity charge......).

Even if their profit margins are so narrow (which I doubt), the lines could write a nice, apologetic letter to pax already booked explaining that a new tax has been introduced in Amsterdam and that they will therefore need to pass it on to the pax.  How many people are going to be seriously worried about €8 - the cost of a couple of beers in Amsterdam if you are lucky!

The cynic in me says that the cruise lines will get a better deal on Port Fees in Rotterdam and make money selling excursions to Amsterdam...

Edited by afcandrew
addition

Seems to be the way of the world, at least its not the really high resort fees that some American cities charge, I am also with afc andrew on the cynical side I am sure the cruise lines will sell overpriced excursions into Amsterdam

On 1/12/2019 at 9:41 AM, jinky said:

They`re looking to do it in Bath, Edinburgh and even Aberdeen now if they get a change in the law!

I can understand Bath & Edinburgh as they are two very popular tourist cities but Aberdeen?😲  They are obviously wanting to get everything they can out of the Oil Industry before the oil runs out 😁