Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

P&O prices on the Rise??

Recommended Posts

We have booked a 12 night cruise with P&O for the end of March, and within 10 days the price has risen by around £400 ,are they now adjusting prices ahead of including Grats as part of the price on the hope we will not notice when they make the change, and drop the present tipping policy??....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably Davybe. Nothing is free in this world so when companies start including the price of gratuities, drinks, excursions etc. the money has to come from somewhere and the only place it can come from are the customers who pay for it through price rises.

Now that P&O are going to include the gratuity in the fare I wonder what the criteria will be for the crew to actually receive them!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Probably Davybe. Nothing is free in this world so when companies start including the price of gratuities, drinks, excursions etc. the money has to come from somewhere and the only place it can come from are the customers who pay for it through price rises.

Now that P&O are going to include the gratuity in the fare I wonder what the criteria will be for the crew to actually receive them!!

Crew and gratuity ! PLease, Please lets not start this again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were also on a 12 nighter at the end of March which we booked last autumn. The original price seemed quite low which is why we booked it & it's now about £250 higher but still seems fairly reasonable even though the OBC has also dropped a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a cruise booked for May it has gone up £450 each but I have always advocated booking early gives the best price, with low deposit and quite good OBC .

The price has always gone up from starting price sometimes by over £1000

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, afcandrew said:

P&O - like most travel companies - operate flexible pricing these days so it is difficult to know as prices rise & fall all the time.

I wonder. if P&O have bumped the price up ready for their next promotion ? ...Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a cruise booked with P & O in May I have just looked at our level of cabin and surprise,  the price is lower than we paid and that was after we got a 5% peninsula discount on the cruise value.. So not worth booking early for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

We have a cruise booked with P & O in May I have just looked at our level of cabin and surprise,  the price is lower than we paid and that was after we got a 5% peninsula discount on the cruise value.. So not worth booking early for us.

Always maintained that unless you want a particular cabin the best time to book is about 8 weeks prior to sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With flexible pricing you cannot tell what will happen. More people book summer holidays after Christmas so the prices will go up. Sometimes there is a drop 12 weeks before sailing but it is all dependent on the popularity of the cruise. If there is a cruise you really want to go on, and the price is right for you, book and do not check for change. Just enjoy the cruise as there will aleays be someone who has paid less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Always maintained that unless you want a particular cabin the best time to book is about 8 weeks prior to sailing.

Although that certainly doesn't always work if you are travelling solo.  I am off on Azura for 4 nights in March (8 weeks on Friday) and it would cost me £160 more now than when I booked a year or so ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are currently booked on Britannia B912 which we booked in September 2017 on brochure release and paid £996pp with P&O discounts before TA discounts which included free parking for a PA inside cabin. It is now being advertised on P&Os website for same grade of cabin at £1362pp including free parking for Select price and £1206pp for an Early Saver so it was certainly better for us to book early rather than later.

Edited by sinbad10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, sinbad10 said:

We are currently booked on Britannia B912 which we booked in September 2017 on brochure release and paid £996pp with P&O discounts before TA discounts which included free parking for a PA inside cabin. It is now being advertised on P&Os website for same grade of cabin at £1362pp including free parking for Select price and £1206pp for an Early Saver so it was certainly better for us to book early rather than later.

We have the one recently booked with P&O which has gone up, and one for later this year with Celebrity which we booked a while ago ,that has come down in price, just pot luck ...Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive given up worrying about it,basically if i am happy about the cruise i book and the price other than  ref single supplements etc that i know aint going away any time soon. then i dont even look up the changes and as for other passengers claims about bargains had well i know car salesmen that tell less lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mitch said:

ive given up worrying about it,basically if i am happy about the cruise i book and the price other than  ref single supplements etc that i know aint going away any time soon. then i dont even look up the changes and as for other passengers claims about bargains had well i know car salesmen that tell less lies.

Good advice Mitch, which in general I follow, having seen so many people spoiling their holidays fretting over the thought someone else got a better deal than they did?

One Man I know had good reason to get upset, he use to book 6 cruises a year all in top suites? His main cruise line was Celebrity 4/5 cruises a year with then booked at the start of the season, due to Currency fluctuations and price changes he had overpaid by around £10k ,he was not happy at all.He Did eventually get some rebate and extra OBC ,as they say "Worse problems to have"   ....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We book a cruise earley, get the cabin we want and pay what we think is a good price, however I do look at the prices and availability of cabins for interest not to see if others have paid more or less on that cruise.

however, if by booking early we end up paying more we would stop booking earley, and book later, as we have seen in the past, the cruise we book earley goes up by. £1000 each Which means we can have another holiday 

we give ourselves a fixed yearly budget for holidays, weekends, and city breaks so how much we spend determines what we do. Just our own ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jenjen said:

We book a cruise earley, get the cabin we want and pay what we think is a good price, however I do look at the prices and availability of cabins for interest not to see if others have paid more or less on that cruise.

however, if by booking early we end up paying more we would stop booking earley, and book later, as we have seen in the past, the cruise we book earley goes up by. £1000 each Which means we can have another holiday 

we give ourselves a fixed yearly budget for holidays, weekends, and city breaks so how much we spend determines what we do. Just our own ways.

We have to book early to get an accessible cabin, and so far over the last 6 years the price we paid has never been bettered. But over the period from booking to cruising there are lots of different prices quoted by P&O with varying OBC offers, there used to be a site that monitored these but I think Carnival and RCI bought them out and shut it down, maybe time for another one to step in and replace it? One can but hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just compared Bolsover's P&O winter launch brochures for 2020/1 with the same brochure for last years 2019/20 cruises, and despite this year's having an extra 5% discount, no gratuities and only a 5% deposit the base prices have, on average not increased by very much, and with the extra discounts this year, prices are in fact lower than last year.  So despite the concerns that  dropping the gratuity charge might lead P&O to recover this cost in higher prices, that does nor seem to have happened.

The biggest increase is for Ventura's 35 night Caribbean cruise where inside cabins have increased by 8% and balconies by 7%, but for a 2 nt Zeebrugge cruise in mid November, an 11 or 12 night mid March Spain and Portugal cruise, the prices are unchanged and a balcony for a 12 nt end Nov/early Dec Canaries cruise is 5% less.

Arcadia's world cruise is unchanged for a balcony and only 3% higher for an inside, Norway/North Cape 12nt end Nov cruises show 5% increases and a 10 nt Xmas Baltic cruise has unchanged inside cabins and 5% increases for Balcony cabins.

Aurora's 12 nt Northern Lights cruises in November have unchanged inside cabins and 6% increases on Balconies, whilst her mid March Northern lights 12 nighters show 5% increases for both.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×