Sign in to follow this  
Oldworldtraveller

How Does Music Affect You

Like many people when I hear a piece of music it often has an effect on my mood. Sometimes it makes me happy, sometimes sad, sometimes inspiring, sometimes relaxing.

As the forum has been a bit slow of late I thought maybe this topic would get people posting.

Post your own favourite and tell what effect it has on  you.

To start it off this was a piece of music I heard which conjured up pictures of  travel to far away places, across the sea or by plane. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0xZ-H2KYWw

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

I suppose my age music brings back memories from different times in my life ,currently we are listening to Micheal Buble (LoVe CD) and the latest Barbara Strisland CD.

My Taste covers every genre and finding the best would be hard. 

1 Dave Brubeck "Take 5" I tried to learn to read music (Failed) and play the drums His Drummer Joe Morrelo was my inspiration.

Love the Music from the shows and cinema John Williams being a firm favourite , his film music covers Superman to Harry Potter but I like the Theme from Jurassic Park ?

Hope you enjoy ...Davybe

Like many people, I have an eclectic taste in music, enjoying classical through to light rock.  Many different pieces bring back memories from various stages of my 50+ years of being into music.

Certain lyrics make me smile or even cry but there is only one piece of music that has some sort of bizarre physical effect on me and that is the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th Symphony.  I find that actually breath-taking in that I sometimes have to remind myself to breath when I am listening to it.  Good job it the only music that does that to me 😀.

Pesky Pirate - my Brother & his wife walked up the aisle to that at their wedding back in the late 70s!

I always enjoy Dave Brubeck,but my abiding memory of Take Five is hearing it played on a saxophone by a street musician in San Francisco.  We were there for a week and every day he seemed to be at the same cable car stop playing the same tune.  I told my grandaughter recently how we enjoyed the cable cars and hung onto the rail on the outside.  She thought it was very dangerous until we explained the San Francisco cable cars go on the ground, not up mountains!

4 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

one of my favourite performers is Andre Rieu if you haven't seen a performance by him you don't know what you are missing ... spectacular !!

This one of an Andre Rieu concert on YouTube has had nearly 21 Million views so you are not wrong Dancing Queen, as you say… spectacular.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

Ah, Music!!  Now there's a topic, though maybe the link to cruising can be a little tenuous (as suggested by Captain Kidd II).

I would certainly prefer to travel far away from the piece you chose to link to get things started, OWT, though maybe that's not what you had in mind? 😉

Take 5 was certainly memorable (thanks Davybe) but Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale" proved a more popular wedding anthem than Bach's Toccata and Fugue during my time as a Church Organist in the late 60's, though both were requested (thanks Pesky Pirate).

As for emotional responses to music (hi, afcandrew, how are you doing?) I have found these to have been heightened enormously since the death of my Dad several years ago.  He was due to conduct a performance of Stainer's Crucifixion and I was singing the tenor solos.  He died the week before Easter and I have no idea how I got through the performance - I can't sing it now without having to really struggle against the tears but, at the time, it just had to be done.

My wife also knows to hold my hand very tightly at a certain point in Mimi's first aria whenever we go to a live performance of my favourite opera, La Boheme.

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to seeing The Eagles when they tour at the end of June (augmented by the fantastic Vince Gill) and I'm a big fan of Blues titan, Joe Bonamassa.

What's the word they use.........eclectic???

DavidH

1 hour ago, DavidH said:

I would certainly prefer to travel far away from the piece you chose to link to get things started, OWT, though maybe that's not what you had in mind? 😉

Hi DavidH, my idea was to get a thread going that members would join in with their differing views at a time when the forum seemed to have stagnated. Hope I have succeeded.

17 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

This one of an Andre Rieu concert on YouTube has had nearly 21 Million views so you are not wrong Dancing Queen, as you say… spectacular.

Thanks for posting "Stunning" to say the least.

Wonder how many in total watch his concerts that are broadcast in Cinemas around the world as he performs live....Davybe

15 hours ago, DavidH said:

Ah, Music!!  Now there's a topic, though maybe the link to cruising can be a little tenuous (as suggested by Captain Kidd II).

Take 5 was certainly memorable (thanks Davybe) but Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale" proved a more popular wedding anthem than Bach's Toccata and Fugue during my time as a Church Organist in the late 60's, though both were requested (thanks Pesky Pirate).

As for emotional responses to music (hi, afcandrew, how are you doing?) I have found these to have been heightened enormously since the death of my Dad several years ago.  He was due to conduct a performance of Stainer's Crucifixion and I was singing the tenor solos.  He died the week before Easter and I have no idea how I got through the performance - I can't sing it now without having to really struggle against the tears but, at the time, it just had to be done.

My wife also knows to hold my hand very tightly at a certain point in Mimi's first aria whenever we go to a live performance of my favourite opera, La Boheme.

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to seeing The Eagles when they tour at the end of June (augmented by the fantastic Vince Gill) and I'm a big fan of Blues titan, Joe Bonamassa.

What's the word they use.........eclectic???

DavidH

My tear makers are "Abide with me , my father did the same day as the King? find it impossible to finish singing it.

And "Finlandia" my best friend won a Hi-Fi outfit in a Comp, and the first record he played was "Finlandia" he sadly died very young and I still miss him....Davybe

14 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Hi DavidH, my idea was to get a thread going that members would join in with their differing views at a time when the forum seemed to have stagnated. Hope I have succeeded.

Hi OWT,

You undoubtedly have.

Regards,

DavidH

17 minutes ago, Davybe said:

My tear makers are "Abide with me , my father did the same day as the King? find it impossible to finish singing it.

On the subject of 'tear makers' Davybe this is one guaranteed to my having a tissue handy along with most others. It comes from the film "We Were Soldiers" and is often used at military funerals especially in the USA. It was also used at Ronald Reagans funeral in 2004 and recently at a military funeral where I was a member of the "Honour Guard" team a privilege that unfortunately is becoming a little too regular. It is by the United States Military Academy Glee Club Choir at West Point and is titled 'Mansions of the Lord".

This link gives the words and they say it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khwo18BYSjo

Abide with me is one that I avoid whenever possible.  My best friend's Dad was a big football fan and had it at his funeral.  My friend & I are both Arsenal fans and have been subjected to Abide with me at numerous FA Cup Finals since and both find it difficult.

My partner also chose two popular songs to be played at his funeral (Time to Say Goodbye - Katherine Jenkins & You Raise Me up - Westlife) and I still find these difficult to listen to, especially if they turn up unexpectedly!  I really wish he had carried out his threat to have "The Best of TImes is Now" from La Cage Aux Folles instead - at least that would bring a smile to my face rather than tears to my eyes!

Hi DavidH - I'm good thanks.  I was in my local Church Choir in the seventies and I recall once a bride walking up the aisle to the theme tune of BBC TV's 'This Week' - which I understand comes from Sibelius' Karelia Suite.  It seemed very odd to us at the time though!

The first time that I heard Time to Say Goodbye sung by Sarah Brightman I thought that it was beautiful & would be perfect for a funeral & since then I can't get the thought out of my head & feel tearful whenever I hear it.On alighter note Queen & Abba always make me feel happy. I will listen to more or less anything as long as it isn't so loud that you can't hear what anyone is saying like you sometimes get round the pool.

41 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

We had this at a funeral a few months ago 2torts, somehow it seemed a very appropriate song. 

It is now one of the most used songs at funerals.  Sadly, as it is so popular generally, it doesn't help those of us whose loved ones decided to have it in their funerals.

One of the loveliest funerals I have been to was for a friend who was a humanist.  He loved Gracie Fields and so of course chose "Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye" for the committal song.  It brought a smile to everyone's face as we all literally waved him goodbye.

40 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Stepping back in time, to 1957, I was just 13. Who remembers the 'washboard' and 'skiffle'. These were my formative years. What was the music in yours!!

I think I just about remember skiffle. Didn't Lonnie Donegan (?spelling) play the washboard?  But then I am only a youngster 😉😁

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

I think I just about remember skiffle. Didn't Lonnie Donegan (?spelling) play the washboard?  But then I am only a youngster 😉😁

He Played the Guitar. His was the first record I ever bought and saw him on stage in Blackpool, He changed the way artist were paid in the UK as he found out they got a Percentage of sales in the USA but got a fixed fee in the UK?

He Ended the show singing the "Parties Over " which he ended up on stage alone and the spot light went down to just focus on his face and hands ,the went out completely , There were other acts on the show Micky and Griff? and a very young Des oConner ,the good old days ..Davybe.

Edited by Davybe