Sign in to follow this  
afcandrew

Drinks Package

So P&O have decided to bring in the Drinks Packages trialled last year.  I think the prices are the same (£39.95pppd for the 'Ultimate' one) with the same conditions - drinks up to £6.95 included with 20% off drinks costing more than that.  Maximum 15 alcoholic drinks per day (hic, oh my head hurts 😁) and the 15 minutes between orders rule.

I am pleased for those who have been calling for this but just hope that it doesn't lead to an increase in drink prices for those not on the package or an increase in drunkenness on board.

I certainly know I can't justify (to myself) spending nearly £560 on drinks over 2 weeks.

29 minutes ago, 2torts said:

The Costa coffee card has gone from £22.50 for 10 drinks to nearly  £11 per person per day. We used to share a card but there's no way we would get through enough coffee to justify paying this so well just pay as we go.

Going slightly off topic I know but I wonder if P&O will stick with Costa Coffee on-board once the sale of the company to Coca Cola has gone through?  Guess it will depend on the franchise costs.

you are going have to be a serious drinker even taking into account soft drinks and coffee to justify £1120 for 2 people on a 2 week cruise especially taking into account port days when you are off the ship for part of the day. Taking that into account more likely need to drink £50 per day when on sea days.

As I said when they trialled this all inclusive alcoholic drinks offer last year, the price is hopelessly wrong.

Fred Olsen and CMV both have similar "all inclusive" drinks packages, which they have offered successfully for many years but in each case at less than half the £39.95 per day each that P&O seems to think is appropriate.

As it has to apply to both passengers sharing a cabin, that is effectively £80 per day. Realistically, who is going to spend that sort of money on drinks each day, we certainly wouldn't.

On the Arcadia World cruise, for example; that is a 99 night voyage. So anyone making that trip would be faced with a £7,910 drinks bill at the end of the cruise, if they were daft enough to take "advantage" of this offer. Maybe P&O do intend to offer a reduced daily rate for longer term cruises, perhaps they plan to - we'll see?

Come on P&O, get real and offer this package at a sensible price if you want to get anyone at all to sign up to it

£80 a day on drinks 🍷 you have got to joking I think more of my liver no way would we drink that much, and £11/22 a day on coffee would be overdoing it for us, maybe if it was cold and wet and did not go ashore on port days.

Im sure if you are heavy drinkers you would use it, but most of our friends would not.

A few years ago we purchased the drinks package on a Celebrity cruise, I can't remember the exact cost but it was around £1100 for us both on a 17 day cruise, I don't consider either of us are 'excessive' drinkers but we certainly more than broke even, we did have quite a lot of sea days so I do think this is something to be taken into account, also with Celebrity it included speciality coffee/water etc and not having read the T&C from P&O I wouldn't know if it is the same.

Personally I think £39.95 pppd is a pretty good price ( depending on how many sea days ) on average it is only 5/6 drinks per day  - less if like us you are used to paying US prices !! they don't necessarily have to be alcoholic drinks 🍷 🍺  

5 hours ago, Davybe said:

Not for us as we are very modest drinkers ,I can see it being well used by some cruisers, but we would normally only have a couple of drinks plus a Coffee per day ,it would not justify the cost.....Davybe

Link to drinks packages?

https://www.pocruises.com/drinks/

About the same as us Davybe. 

Over £1,100 for a 14 day cruise for 2 people, I don't think so.

That's starting to bring it in line with some of the US cruise companies and at a time when many of their competitors are going 'All Inclusive'. Saga and Marella Cruises are now 'All Inclusive'. 14 days with Fred Olsen will set you back £450 and CMV £552 but that also includes gratuities and every 7th day is free.

Where is the logic!!

Our last bar bill on a recent 14 night P and O cruise was less than £500 for 2 of us and we felt we had plenty of alcohol included in that,  so like many others on the forum,  this is not for us. I have never cruised where there is a drinks package or all inclusive on offer. I wonder if this leads to more incidences of irresponsible behaviour?

Just a thought .. how many people would consider buying the drink package on FO or CMV but not with P&O or Celebrity etc .. is it all about cost ??  

I can appreciate if someone would only have a couple of drinks a day then a package wouldn't be for them but as I said in my earlier post the cost with P&O only equates to 5/6 drinks a day and whilst I certainly don't consider I drink to the excess I would find this very easy, we always have wine with dinner so half a bottle of wine ( for me ) over a period of a couple of hours when eating is easily achievable ( probably equates to 3 x standard glass of wine ) I love decent coffee so again it would be quite normal for me to have 3/4 during the day ( I certainly don't bother with the free coffee in the buffet which I think is yuk !! but each to their own ) 

What has surprised me over the last couple of days on both forums and FB is the amount of people who have said 'I couldn't possibly drink that amount in a day' and yet these are the same people who openly admit they take bottles of spirits on board so they can have a pre dinner drink in their cabin obviously these are the non drinkers !!! not that I'm suggesting anyone on this forum does that but there is food for thought why people are happy to drink their own drinks but not happy to pay for a package.

2 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Just a thought .. how many people would consider buying the drink package on FO or CMV but not with P&O or Celebrity etc .. is it all about cost ??  

Is all about cost?  With Fred Olsen at £450 for 14 days and P&O at over £1,100 for the same duration selling the same brand of drinks it certainly is all about cost, a difference of over £650……..

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

53 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Is all about cost?  With Fred Olsen at £450 for 14 days and P&O at over £1,100 for the same duration selling the same brand of drinks it certainly is all about cost, a difference of over £650……..

Well yes obviously cost is a consideration but my point is those people who say they couldn't possibly drink 5/6 drinks a day - do they have a change of heart if they are only paying £450 as opposed to £1100 ?? not having a go at anyone but it does sound a bit like double standards to me.

9 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Well yes obviously cost is a consideration but my point is those people who say they couldn't possibly drink 5/6 drinks a day - do they have a change of heart if they are only paying £450 as opposed to £1100 ?? not having a go at anyone but it does sound a bit like double standards to me.

I agree, 5/6 alcoholic drinks a day is far from excessive and given P&O are one of the most competitively priced lines when it comes to onboard drink prices I don't see why people think it's expensive.

Last year when they announced the trial my initial thought was expensive, but on the reflection it's quite a reasonable offer.

HLM.

On 31 January 2019 at 7:47 PM, Occasional Cruiser said:

As it has to apply to both passengers sharing a cabin, that is effectively £80 per day. Realistically, who is going to spend that sort of money on drinks each day, we certainly wouldn't

We would and to be perfectly honest quite easily, as DQ points out it only equates to 5/6 drinks.

Me personally can easily drink 3 to 4 pints between noon and 5pm as well as a soft drink or two, in the evening several more, not something I do in everyday life but when on holiday I enjoy it.

Obviously it doesn't work for everyone but given the option all inclusive gives me the freedom to relax without having to check my onboard spend every 5 minutes like some do.

HLM.

3 hours ago, HLM said:

I don't see why people think it's expensive.

I think its expensive HLM simply because other cruise lines do the same drinks without quantity or time restrictions for less than half the cost in some cases. Bearing in mind over a 14 day cruise the difference is not pence, it's hundreds of pounds.

It is expensive for us we drink very little on a normal day we would have a coffee in the morning. Then a drink before dinner my husband will have a glass of wine with his dinner.  Occasionally we may have one other drink in the bar with friends in the evening. So a total spend for the two of us is no more than £30 per day. 

14 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

We tend to drink the same with or without a drinks package,We get free drinks being Elite members in Celebrity's Captains club, As HLM says it is an easy way to pay up front and not worry about getting a final bill.

But having said that we paid out roughly £450 on our P&O cruise ,which included two meals in the Epicurean why would I now want to pay £1000 to drink roughly the same...Davybe

18 hours ago, littlemousa said:

Our last bar bill on a recent 14 night P and O cruise was less than £500 for 2 of us and we felt we had plenty of alcohol included in that,  so like many others on the forum,  this is not for us. I have never cruised where there is a drinks package or all inclusive on offer. I wonder if this leads to more incidences of irresponsible behaviour?

Hi littlemousa,

We have done quite a few drinks package/all inclusive cruises with the likes of Celebrity, Azamara, Silversea and even Marella and can honestly say I have never personally witnessed any increase in irresponsible behaviour.  Mind you, it could be that I am usually too far gone to notice!!!!  😜

DavidH

Sorry but dont see 5/6 drinks a day makes it good value majority of alcohol on P&O spirits, beers and some wines are all available at less than £5.  If you drink 5/6 alcoholic drinks and then add on coffees and soft drinks during the day then you might just about break even but you would have to drink more to allow for port days when you dont drink as much. Think the only way anyone can think it is good value is if they normally as a couple spend more than £1100+ on a 14 nt cruise without bottles of wine. Think those that say well we can drink 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner then have a port or brandy after might seriously struggle to get a wine waiter to visit your table that many times every night. Even before drinks package is introduced wife has sometimes fancied another glass of wine and I have fancied a brandy but had no joy in seeing a wine waiter and even after asking waiter there has been a no show so think they may be even more scarce on the instructions of P&O to increase their profits.