Sign in to follow this  
afcandrew

Drinks Package

I'm with you Sinbad.  I probably could do 5/6 drinks easily in a sea day but how many of them would be around £6.50 or so to make it worthwhile?  Certainly not soft drinks or coffees.  Also, as others have said unless you have an awful lot of sea days, the value is going to be far less.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:07 PM, DavidH said:

P&O can charge what they like for their drinks package, they won't be getting my money.  We gave up on them a couple of years ago and haven't seen anything likely to tempt us back.

DavidH

After trying Cunard in the Queen's grill for the first time last year, I doubt we'll be tempted back to P&O either. As to the drinks package I think it's a reasonable price. I wouldn't say we are heavy drinkers but we spent a lot more than that per day on Cunard in spite of buying their wine packages.

1 hour ago, Tally said:

After trying Cunard in the Queen's grill for the first time last year, I doubt we'll be tempted back to P&O either. As to the drinks package I think it's a reasonable price. I wouldn't say we are heavy drinkers but we spent a lot more than that per day on Cunard in spite of buying their wine packages.

Problem is individual drinks on Cunard are far dearer than on P&O that is why there drinks package on QM2 is $70 per day.

1 hour ago, sinbad10 said:

Problem is individual drinks on Cunard are far dearer than on P&O that is why there drinks package on QM2 is $70 per day.

Yes I know individual drinks are dearer. We bought wine packages, which were for either 12,9 or six I believe last year. I thought they only offered packages such as the one now offered on P&O to the USA market.

22 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I think its expensive HLM simply because other cruise lines do the same drinks without quantity or time restrictions for less than half the cost in some cases. Bearing in mind over a 14 day cruise the difference is not pence, it's hundreds of pounds.

There will always be better deals out there, but I certainly wouldn't cruise with a cruiseline because their drinks package is cheaper, these deals are optional if one doesn't feel they can get value for money then I would naturally assume they wouldn't purchase it.

HLM.

20 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Sorry but dont see 5/6 drinks a day makes it good value majority of alcohol on P&O spirits, beers and some wines are all available at less than £5.  If you drink 5/6 alcoholic drinks and then add on coffees and soft drinks during the day then you might just about break even but you would have to drink more to allow for port days when you dont drink as much. Think the only way anyone can think it is good value is if they normally as a couple spend more than £1100+ on a 14 nt cruise without bottles of wine. Think those that say well we can drink 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner then have a port or brandy after might seriously struggle to get a wine waiter to visit your table that many times every night. Even before drinks package is introduced wife has sometimes fancied another glass of wine and I have fancied a brandy but had no joy in seeing a wine waiter and even after asking waiter there has been a no show so think they may be even more scarce on the instructions of P&O to increase their profits.

No need to apologise Sinbad, if you don't feel you could get value for money from the package then there's no obligation to buy it.

For me it would represent good value for money, I could quite easily drink above and beyond the 5/6 drinks previously quoted.

HLM.

17 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Just waded through the new awful Cunard website to look at the wine packages and I see they are offering a drinks package for $69 per day now on the QV and the QE as from December 2018.

3 hours ago, Davybe said:

Fred Olsen are increasing their drink package prices from March still very good value for money ,compared to Celebrity.....Davybe

Yes but only house brands spirits are included in package if you want premium you have to pay extra and wine by the glass (175ml) choice is very poor with only 3 red/white and 2 rose choices.

2 hours ago, Jenjen said:

Nothing to do with the cost, We do not take any drinks on board, because we don’t have alcohol every day, I would not have a drinks package, maybe other would think it good value, it’s up to them.

only my opinion 

As I said in an earlier post if someone only drinks a couple of drinks a day then a 'package' isn't for them 🍷 

I would always do the 'maths' and on a very port intensive cruise I wouldn't even consider one, if I was doing a round trip Caribbean then with lots of sea days for me/us it would make sense but like anything there are various factors to take into account ... P&O, CMV, FredO for instance are ( at the moment ) very reasonable with their pricing, Cunard, Celebrity, RCI are not ( I don't know about other lines like Costa/MSC )  how long this will last is anyone's guess but more and more I am seeing especially on Cunard people leaving their cabins with a 'glass in their hand' ... regardless of what my opinion is on this at the end of the the day the cruise lines are out to make a profit and if people are not spending in the bars they will look at every which way to get them to part with their cash !!  

For me it is all about value for money. If for example one cruise line can do a branded name gin for about £3.50 what is the excuse for another to charge £8 other than greed. Last time I was on a certain cruise line a bottle of Mateus Rosé in the MDR was $30 plus 15% making $34.50, average supermarket price £5.25/$6.48. I appreciate they have to make a profit but a mark up of over 450% and bearing in mind how much they actually pay for it……...

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

For me it is all about value for money. If for example one cruise line can do a branded name gin for about £3.50 what is the excuse for another to charge £8 other than greed. Last time I was on a certain cruise line a bottle of Mateus Rosé in the MDR was $30 plus 15% making $34.50, average supermarket price £5.25/$6.48. I appreciate they have to make a profit but a mark up of over 450% and bearing in mind how much they actually pay for it……...

One in the know Cruiser was saying that years ago we would need to drink 5 times the cost of the drinks package, before the cruise lines got worried ?

A friend came off a Cunard cruise complaining at the drink prices.

They must be seeing the diminishing returns as prices go up does consumption drop ,It does in my case....Davybe

47 minutes ago, Davybe said:

One in the know Cruiser was saying that years ago we would need to drink 5 times the cost of the drinks package, before the cruise lines got worried ?

They must be seeing the diminishing returns as prices go up does consumption drop ,It does in my case....Davybe

We have cruised on all 3 Cunard ships within the last 2 years and have never, apart from prior to dinner, seen bars so empty. Many arguments on differing cruise forums have taken place with regards to alcohol prices on Cunard and there seems to be a split that those that live in the south of UK or the bigger cities around the UK seem to accept the prices and think they are reasonable where the rest of the UK, myself included, think the prices are very high. Of course there are a lot of Americans who cruise with Cunard and because generally higher alcohol prices in the US they seem to be acceptable. We were on QM2 when they introduced on trial their drinks package, now also available on QE & QV, and at $69 pppd even though drinks are considerably higher than P&O there were not many takers.

I usually take the drinks package when available. RCI was $68(?) pppd last Autumn.

What I can't understand is that if you choose a drink over the price limit, e.g. from the P&O G&T menu, you only get a miserly 20% off (50% with FO). I would expect to only pay the difference between the price and the packages upper limit.

Although restrictions usually apply, typical of P&O that they introduce more restrictions than most.

RayO

Edited by RayO
spelling

5 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

People always moan about the mark up of bottles of wine whether it be on a cruise ship or any restaurant but seem to forget the mark up on spirits to be far higher. Take an average price of £4 for a standard 25ml measure that would mean a taking of £160 for a litre bottle and we all know how much they cost at a local supermarket which is also higher than what cruise lines pay for it. Soft drinks especially those from a soda gun cost literally pennies so again are even higher so profits on bottles of wine compared to most drinks served is possibly the lowest.

14 hours ago, Davybe said:

We are not heavy drinkers and only have a drink package if it is included at a very low additional cost.  In fact our next cruise will only be the second time we have had a package in more than 30 cruises (although some of those were before the advent of packages).

I very much doubt if cruise lines are seeing diminishing returns however.  I'm sure their system works to maximize their profits,  Fewer drinkers, fewer staff needed, lower overheads.  After all, they have a captive clientele.

Sheila

Just out of interest this links to Celebrities drink package,Quite a decent selection of quality drinks ,and you only pay the difference  in price if the drink you order is not within the package limits.

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/onboard/food-and-drink/classic-drinks-package/?ecid=11236831&rid=1203491677&lnkid=drinksCTA&emsc=UKCELWVTCPRSNOCCNONVALUNKHOTNOBK&utm_campaign=WVTC&utm_content=PRS&utm_source=11236831&utm_medium=email

Davybe

1 hour ago, Ikea Logistics said:

7 nights carribean

So at £48pppn it is dearer than what P&O are charging and not far of what Princess charge doesnt sem to be such a good deal to me. People are complaining of paying £1120 for a 14nt cruise for 2 adults when MSC it would be £1344 so not such a great deal.

Edited by sinbad10

but its drinks up to 12$ including premium spirits and no limit on the number of drinks you can have and its throughout the ship including the speciality restaurants and all bars is not the P&O restricted on the price limit and the number of drinks you can order 

3 hours ago, Ikea Logistics said:

but its drinks up to 12$ including premium spirits and no limit on the number of drinks you can have and its throughout the ship including the speciality restaurants and all bars is not the P&O restricted on the price limit and the number of drinks you can order 

The price limit is£6-75 which is nearly $9 but I can assure you the price of individual drinks will be higher on MSC. Includes all premium drinks on P&O if under £6-75 which majority are and also includes premium teas and coffees and mocktails. Also served anywhere on the ship excluding room service. MSC premium package is only for drinks up to $10  so I am sorry but unless you upgrade to a Premium Plus drinks package seems a far poorer package than what P&O are offering and a lot dearer. The only restriction on P&O is maximum of 15 drinks in any 24 hrs so unless you are a very serious drinker would be hard to reach with any drinks package.