Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Which Ship?Has that Wow factor?

Like most on here we have our favourite ship ,in our case it is Celebrity's Eclipse absolutely loved it, but we liked P& Os Oceana and RCI's Brilliance of the seas.

But we were talking and decided that the ship that impressed us most Was Cunards QE .

We met up with friends and after Dinner we did a walk around the ship, and I have never heard the Phrases "Wow' "look at that" "How nice is this" The Theatre is most impressive with its boxes , And the Lounge with squishy leather sofas and panoramic views ,along with heated pools . for me made it the ship we have been most impressed with, beating the RCI Ships.IMO> 

Have you a particular ship you were most impressed with.....Davybe

Hi Davybe,

We have always been impressed by both Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest.  Not for the lavish nature of the ships but for the welcoming attitude of the always visible senior officers.

As for accommodation, we've yet to beat our almost 4 week stay in The Library Suite on P&O's Aurora which spans 2 decks at the front of the ship, with a spiral staircase between them.  Have to say that was several years ago and. as forum members will know from recent posts, we don't use P&O nowadays.  That trip, however, will stay long in the memory.

DavidH

Probably - at the time - Celebrity Summit.  But that was, I think, getting on for 14 years ago!  I think generally I prefer elegantly understated but that is becoming increasingly unaffordable for me these days with the mid-price lines building ever larger, flashy ships.  I was impressed with QE too Davbe when I sailed on her three years ago.  I would like to see QM2.  We did an Eastbound Transatlantic on QE2 many years ago so I would like to do a Westbound on QM2.

Andrew

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

Probably - at the time - Celebrity Summit.  But that was, I think, getting on for 14 years ago!  I think generally I prefer elegantly understated but that is becoming increasingly unaffordable for me these days with the mid-price lines building ever larger, flashy ships.  I was impressed with QE too Davbe when I sailed on her three years ago.  I would like to see QM2.  We did an Eastbound Transatlantic on QE2 many years ago so I would like to do a Westbound on QM2.

Andrew

Pardon the pun but push the boat out and do a Roundtrip TA you dont have to do seperate TAs Westbound/Eastbound there are a number of roundtrip TAs available throughout the year and can thoroughly recommend them we have done 2 got one booked for November this year and May next year  great value for money and thoroughly enjoyable and never get bored for one minute.

2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Pardon the pun but push the boat out and do a Roundtrip TA you dont have to do seperate TAs Westbound/Eastbound there are a number of roundtrip TAs available throughout the year and can thoroughly recommend them we have done 2 got one booked for November this year and May next year  great value for money and thoroughly enjoyable and never get bored for one minute.

I don't think I would want to do that actually.  The sea days are not a problem - I love them.  I would however like to spend a few days in New York and also get to Niagara as that is something I have not done.  The friend I am likely to do this with (probably next year) also has access to cheap BA flights for the return from New York.

Keeping to the original question of "Which ship has the wow factor' for me this is a difficult question as many of the new ships I have been on have a 'Wow' factor. I think however the one that comes top in this category is the Quantum Class of RCI. The pod that takes you 300ft above the ocean affording spectacular views, Spectres Cabaret, one of the best shows of its type I have seen at sea, the London/Broadway Shows featuring the original cast rather than an onboard group that do everything, restaurants like Wonderland, switching restaurants with the same wait staff for those on classic dining and a buffet area so large and with such choice it puts most to shame. Bathrooms with large glass cubicles and inside cabins with screens giving views and sounds as if it were a  balcony. Not my favourite ship but certainly a ship with the 'Wow" factor. 

We all have different expectations and we always come home with many memories (usually good).  My favourite ship, difficult to say it would have to be a combination of many.  But I have said before it is not the ship we travel on, it is the people we meet that make our holidays

Watching The Cruise I can't help comparing Majestic Princess's wow factor atrium with Britannia's John Lewis store version. I have absolutely no idea why P&O tried to do their own thing when a copy of the Princess versions would have had so much more appeal.

14 hours ago, towny44 said:

Watching The Cruise I can't help comparing Majestic Princess's wow factor atrium with Britannia's John Lewis store version. I have absolutely no idea why P&O tried to do their own thing when a copy of the Princess versions would have had so much more appeal.

I like Britannia much prefer it to Azura and Ventura? just all down to personal taste ....Davybe

Biggest wow is still from our first cruise on Independence of the Seas RCI. Never imagined it being so big when we pulled into Barcelona port and then when we saw the main "street" with acrobats high above, the parade, the ice rink, the full West End stage show  and the flowrider - just immense. No ship since has matched in terms of wow factor although I do love the understated elegance of the art deco Holland America ships and their cookery theatres.

The Aurora was my favourite ship and we have had 2 world cruises in the Library Penthouse suite. So like David H I have very fond memories of that cabin. It does have the 'wow factor'. We were actually due to cruise in the Library Penthouse again in January to the Amazon. However after being in the Queen's grill last year on the QE we have now decided that we much prefer Cunard. Hopefully we'll like the QV as much as the QE which will be spending most of next year in Australia. Although I think we will always think of our favourite cabin as the Penthouse on the Aurora.

At the present time and mainly due to price i have only used MSC.

Saying that at some point I'm sure I'll try the others in the future.

We are going on our first carribean cruise this year on MSC Seaside just to see what it's like compared to the Med

We did look at P&O but the wife thought that the rooms looked like an upmarket version of a Travel Inn

Edited by Ikea Logistics