Sign in to follow this  
JUDITH5013

cruising in the med and the tourist tax

I believe Spain has a tourist tax for cruise passengers while in Spanish waters.  I am not sure if it is called a tourist tax, but it affects prices on board.  Also, isn't the reason most cruises include a non EU port tax related?

Sheila

2 hours ago, smtcan said:

I believe Spain has a tourist tax for cruise passengers while in Spanish waters.  I am not sure if it is called a tourist tax, but it affects prices on board.  Also, isn't the reason most cruises include a non EU port tax related?

Sheila

They do indeed, I can't remember what the % is but I think about 8% ( I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong )  it is quite easy to avoid - don't buy from the shops whilst in Spanish waters, drinks are slightly harder to avoid but tbh the % is such a small amount you hardly notice it on the odd purchase, we have always found especially on Cunard the wine waiters usually invoice us the following night for the wine we have with dinner so we avoid the tax altogether.

Yes one of the reasons a non EU port is usually included in most cruises from the UK is I believe because it allows them to sell 'duty free' goods on board.  

13 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

They do indeed, I can't remember what the % is but I think about 8% ( I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong )  it is quite easy to avoid - don't buy from the shops whilst in Spanish waters, drinks are slightly harder to avoid but tbh the % is such a small amount you hardly notice it on the odd purchase, we have always found especially on Cunard the wine waiters usually invoice us the following night for the wine we have with dinner so we avoid the tax altogether.

Yes one of the reasons a non EU port is usually included in most cruises from the UK is I believe because it allows them to sell 'duty free' goods on board.  

They have done a similar thing on Celebrity ,delayed charging until they are out of the Spanish waters.

The Dearest we thought was a round the UK cruise you get Vat and Tax added ...Davybe