Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

"Freya" wrecks Naming Ceremony ?

Unfortunately it reminds me in too many ways of the large RCI ships, the shopping mall, pool area, speciality dining areas and the cabin could be from any of 20 ships. Many of the large new ships unfortunately are very similar and seem to have lost their individuality apart from the occasional feature. Just my opinion of course.

Like Or loath it, these are the future of cruising, huge family friendly resort ships, offering plenty to do and see on the ship ,no need to go ashore.

Not for everyone ,but lets face much better than a ship full of moaning or sleeping pensioners ....Davybe

29 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Unfortunately it reminds me in too many ways of the large RCI ships, the shopping mall, pool area, speciality dining areas and the cabin could be from any of 20 ships. Many of the large new ships unfortunately are very similar and seem to have lost their individuality apart from the occasional feature. Just my opinion of course.

That's quite possibly because it's what the passengers want.  Economies of scale have determined that bigger ships are needed to enable cruise lines to keep the fares down, and the way RCI have been able to fill all their ships because of these features, is why we are seeing most other main stream cruise lines follow suit.

If you want individuality, smaller ships and superior cabin design and luxury interiors, then you are going to need to focus on the premium cruise lines, but these come at a significant price premium. 

Reading some blogs from the ship things not working that well, and rough seas in the BOB have caused one port to be cancelled.

Service on the ship is being reported as patchy as the cruise struggle to work iPad ordering method, still never understood why people rush to be the first cruisers....Davybe

Still wonder where they are going to get the passengers from to fill these large ships especially as very few are disposing of smaller, older tonnage and they are not sailing at full capacity. Maybe that is why so many of the new ships are heading for China.

There are still plenty below 100,000 gt that offer good food, decent cabins and nice interiors without having to enter the premium market.

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Still wonder where they are going to get the passengers from to fill these large ships especially as very few are disposing of smaller, older tonnage and they are not sailing at full capacity. Maybe that is why so many of the new ships are heading for China.

There are still plenty below 100,000 gt that offer good food, decent cabins and nice interiors without having to enter the premium market.

I was just reading a thread on CC about RCI placing an order for it's  6th Oasis class ship, and how there were similar posts when it launched the first with posters suggesting that it would lead to RCI going bankrupt and Carnival being able to snap it up cheaply because they were being sensible in not building such monsters.

Funny that because 2 of the current 5200 passenger Iona style new ship orders will be joining Carnival's own line, as well as all the others going to Aida, Princess and P&O, all owned by the Carnival group, clearly so far the cruise lines have proved all the doubters wrong, and I suspect they will continue to do so. 

17 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

IMO Cruising has a lot of growth still to do World Wide,but the trend seems to be for shorter cruises ,There seems to be more 10 /12 cruises than 14 nighters, and these Mega ships have a 7 day turn round sometimes doing the same ports time after time.  Iona has this type of  itinerary for her first year.

My Daughter and Family are quite happy to fly somewhere for a 7 night cruise, but we would not consider a cruise for less than 10 nights, changing taste maybe....Davybe 

16 hours ago, towny44 said:

Funny that because 2 of the current 5200 passenger Iona style new ship orders will be joining Carnival's own line, as well as all the others going to Aida, Princess and P&O, all owned by the Carnival group, clearly so far the cruise lines have proved all the doubters wrong, and I suspect they will continue to do so. 

Lets hope it improves Carnival share price which in August 2017 was 5380 a share and is now 4108!!