Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Are the Critics Right??

I often read  the news papers criticism of TV shows and film reviews along with shows, and marvel at how often they differ from public opinion.

"Les Miserable" panned by the critics ,now one of the most seen longest running shows.

"The Greatest Showman" Hit film and song track again not popular with the critics,

On TV last Night we had two Comedies "Warren" with Martin Clunes Not liked by the Critics but we both found to be funny.

Followed by "This Time With Alan Partridge" we turned it off after a few minutes yet the critics rate it highly?

I did wonder if it was a North South humour divide ,have you an opinion.....Davybe

I think like a lot of reports in the media they only reflect the views of the writer, which is why you can get totally opposite reviews about the same programme.  However I do sometimes feel as though there is a capital culture slant on quite a few shows, especially new wave comedy which I generally think is rubbish, and yet the London luvvies suggest it is deep and meaningful!!!!

1 hour ago, towny44 said:

I think like a lot of reports in the media they only reflect the views of the writer, which is why you can get totally opposite reviews about the same programme.  However I do sometimes feel as though there is a capital culture slant on quite a few shows, especially new wave comedy which I generally think is rubbish, and yet the London luvvies suggest it is deep and meaningful!!!!

We just prefer them to be funny, bit old fashioned it seems today?....davybe

3 hours ago, Davybe said:

We just prefer them to be funny, bit old fashioned it seems today?....davybe

And us .. we recently saw a comedian ( Jon Martin ) on QE and what a funny guy he was, no swearing ( very unusual today ) just good old fashioned humour, I haven't laughed so much in ages, they can keep the 'new wave comedy' and I'll stick to being 'old fashioned'  

I don’t think it’s demographic it’s more traditional I don’t understand half of the young stand up so say comics goes over my head.

I find more slap stick or life observing more humorous Victoria Wood, Les Dawson style both sadly gone.

Can`t say i`m impressed with the new Alan Partridge series - a few funny, embarrassing type cringe laughs but largely his time has passed I feel. Warren  I really do not like. Such a waste of Martin Clunes` talent. He`s an unlikable character with his attempts at fly tipping, rudeness and some aspects just don`t stand up. Who still has dial up internet - how old are the writers and who are they targeting. I think some Alan partridge viewers might be lost  trough people turning off  Warren before and getting into another  programme. I rarely trust critics for films / tv I select to watch.

I Wonder what Saturday nights will be like when the newer programs start.

Saturday night use to be the highlight of the weeks TV , not anymore we watch more stuff on "Catch up" or go out most Saturdays...davybe

47 minutes ago, Davybe said:

I Wonder what Saturday nights will be like when the newer programs start.

Saturday night use to be the highlight of the weeks TV , not anymore we watch more stuff on "Catch up" or go out most Saturdays...davybe

Apart from the news and sport we record or download all the the programmes we want to view, and then watch them in the order we prefer, and of course wizz though the adverts.  But we never ever ever record any of the puerile so called variety shows or, "the best song and dance performer ever", type shows which are screened on a Saturday night.