Sign in to follow this  
Leer

P & O going down hill

Was recently on the Ventura for a 12 night tour - Southampton - down to the canaries via Madera and back to Southampton calling in at Lisbon. I have to say that the standards seem to have dropped somewhat.  Or have I been spoiled by going on the Britannia prior to the Ventura. No poolside sandwiches available on Port days! And on sea days it was a choice of cheese or beef baguette and very few of them.  

The late night buffet was commented on by many around the dining table at night - it was basically fast food and what appeared to be left overs from the days menus. Very poor.  Chips and pizza!!!  It suited some of course. 

Communicated with Family who were on the Azura in Sydney - I happen to say that Brisbane looked amazing at night - ( from the on board web cam ). Only to be told that they never actually made it into Brisbane owing to a cyclone in the area. Clearly P & O play tapes to show a perfect cruise!  Very disappointing. 

I didn't; buy a drink package - Seemed rather a lot of money per day, i went with pay as go.  

It was ok I guess - but nothing to tempt me back onboard the Ventura.   And who designed the ship with lifts that don't go to all the floors! Depending on where you wanted to go determined which bank of lifts you took - Aft - Mid or Front. 

I agree totally it's outrageous that Ventura's forward lifts don't go to deck 18 and take you to the Metropolis bar at the stern! 😉😎

Edited by towny44

Sorry to hear of your poor experience.  I have friends who were on Ventura for her 35 night Caribbean trip and they seemed to have a good time.

Maybe they have stopped Port-day Grab & Go sandwiches because everyone was taking them ashore???

Did you mean Arcadia in Brisbane?  Azura was in the Caribbean until recently.

Don't blame you for not buying the drinks package - it seems to be going down like a lead balloon.

Unless I am being a bit dense, aren't the only decks not served by lifts some of the top open decks for sunbathing etc?

I always thing it is such a shame when someone's first post is a negative one.  Hopefully you'll be able to come back to us with something positive too.

There were issues on Britannia even from the early days that people  were going to the Grab n Go on port days and literally stripping it of all the sandwiches and wraps to take ashore which is not what it is intended for and dont blame P&O if they have stopped filling Grab n Go on port days if that is what they are doing.

Edited by sinbad10

All the lifts not reaching all of the decks is nothing new, Oceana only has access to the lower decks from the mid & fwd lifts otherwise you would probably be asked to wash the pots in the galley on the rear lifts. Clearly if there is a lack of food they are trying to be considerate of peoples expanding waistlines after we only need 3 square meals not 5

15 hours ago, towny44 said:

I agree totally it's outrageous that Ventura's forward lifts don't go to deck 18 and take you to the Metropolis bar at the stern! 😉😎

There’s always one!  

13 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Sorry to hear of your poor experience.  I have friends who were on Ventura for her 35 night Caribbean trip and they seemed to have a good time.

Maybe they have stopped Port-day Grab & Go sandwiches because everyone was taking them ashore???

Did you mean Arcadia in Brisbane?  Azura was in the Caribbean until recently.

Don't blame you for not buying the drinks package - it seems to be going down like a lead balloon.

Unless I am being a bit dense, aren't the only decks not served by lifts some of the top open decks for sunbathing etc?

I always thing it is such a shame when someone's first post is a negative one.  Hopefully you'll be able to come back to us with something positive too.

Apologies it was the Arcadia that was on the world cruise and down in Sydney. 

I think most ships have lifts which don’t go every deck, some decks you are not able to walk along because of kitchens, restaurants, sun decks swimming pools, you get to know these as the cruise goes along, as I understand they have lots of complaints about the lifts on Britana. So was surprised to hear your complaint about Venturas lifts, as for late night buffet, have breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner, not many people would want yet more food surely?

I`ve no idea if P&O are going downhill - I just know I wouldn`t go with them again after the one cruise we did with them to the Caribbean. Shocking customer service after going without water i our cabin for 26 hours! Poor service generally. I`m almost embarrassed o other lines when busy workers are flying around the corrdiors and insist on you going first even when it`s easier if they do. No such issue with P&O where they just carry on and in one instance just rammed the trolley into my leg claiming right of way! I argued all the way to the top - with much difficulty - and ended up with compensation as we sailed  but due to the non disclosure form that came out from a readily available pile in their drawer can not now and could not say more at the time. Suffice to say others affected  that seemed to accept the instruction to shower "poolside" for formal dinner night did not do as well it seemed and were far more accepting of the situation. Maybe they`d sailed P&O before and it was the norm!!!!

21 hours ago, Jenjen said:

as for late night buffet, have breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner, not many people would want yet more food surely?

In fairness the late night buffet has been a feature of cruising going back many years comprising of theme nights throughout the cruise. 

On 4/2/2019 at 4:58 PM, cruise chef said:

All the lifts not reaching all of the decks is nothing new, Oceana only has access to the lower decks from the mid & fwd lifts otherwise you would probably be asked to wash the pots in the galley on the rear lifts. Clearly if there is a lack of food they are trying to be considerate of peoples expanding waistlines after we only need 3 square meals not 5

A few of the passengers we have sailed with over the years, "Their lift reach the top floor'?😃...Davybe

On 4/7/2019 at 8:06 AM, jinky said:

I`ve no idea if P&O are going downhill - I just know I wouldn`t go with them again after the one cruise we did with them to the Caribbean. Shocking customer service after going without water i our cabin for 26 hours! Poor service generally. I`m almost embarrassed o other lines when busy workers are flying around the corrdiors and insist on you going first even when it`s easier if they do. No such issue with P&O where they just carry on and in one instance just rammed the trolley into my leg claiming right of way! I argued all the way to the top - with much difficulty - and ended up with compensation as we sailed  but due to the non disclosure form that came out from a readily available pile in their drawer can not now and could not say more at the time. Suffice to say others affected  that seemed to accept the instruction to shower "poolside" for formal dinner night did not do as well it seemed and were far more accepting of the situation. Maybe they`d sailed P&O before and it was the norm!!!!

If I needed some water I would go out and get some myself rather than waiting for 26 hours.

5 hours ago, iknowlescourier said:

If I needed some water I would go out and get some myself rather than waiting for 26 hours.

Embarrassingly for you but I think she meant she had no water in the shower and taps to wash and shower not in bottles to drink.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:30 PM, sinbad10 said:

Embarrassingly for you but I think she meant she had no water in the shower and taps to wash and shower not in bottles to drink.

Exactly so. I threatened to go to formal dinner in swimwear in a desperate attempt to get access to a cabin for a shower. In the end they gave access to an inside cabin 2 decks down at the other end of the ship saying there`ll be dressing gowns in the room. yeah because inside cabins come with gowns! I`m a "he" by the way. Others seemed accepting to the idea of showering poolside in swimwear and then changing. The only thing as bad as the actual responses in terms of service was the speed at which a non-disclosure form came out of the hotel manager`s drawer before our compensation was agreed. More concerned at secrecy than customer satisfaction. Took me 2/3 days to find that some 30 cabins had been affected by the same outage that we were told only affected us and the 2 cabins next to us.

As if I`d wait that long for drinking water! I realised I was on a  loser when we asked for ice on one of the early nights of the cruise to be told by the cabin steward " I don`t have time" before he then offered us the leftover ice from a cabin he hed just cleared!!!!!

Edited by jinky

On 4/7/2019 at 8:06 AM, jinky said:

I've just read your post and I'm shocked at what you experienced. We've never experienced anything quite like you but there is no doubt in my mind that P&O have gone downhill. When I compare our world cruise in 2013 to 2015 there really is no comparison. Our last cruise was on the Oceana and it literally was our last cruise. Since then we have tried Cunard in the Queens grill and you'd really have to pay me to go back on P&O now

We became completely disillusioned with P&O following the Christmas cruise on Arcadia in 2014 and haven't sailed with them since.    However, comparing P&O with the Queens Grill on Cunard is unusual (chalk and cheese?), so presumably you always cruised in a suite with P&O?

3 minutes ago, Mayway said:

We became completely disillusioned with P&O following the Christmas cruise on Arcadia in 2014 and haven't sailed with them since.    However, comparing P&O with the Queens Grill on Cunard is unusual (chalk and cheese?), so presumably you always cruised in a suite with P&O?

Yes quite right we always cruised in a suite with P&O. We were in the Penthouse suite for both of our world cruises. Although the suite was really lovely and I have no regrets about either of our world cruises and I think the Aurora is a lovely ship. I did find things a lot different on our second world cruise. Mainly the attitude of some of the staff, not all but enough to make a difference to our cruise. I think our experience on the Oceana was the final touch.

Returned today from our cruise on Britannia. Having done many cruises in the past with P&O  but have not done many in the last five years only 3 on Britannia compared to doing 3 a year since 2000. I have been critical of P&O that is why we have virtually stopped cruising with them and to be honest was not looking forward to our cruise on Britannia. But I have to be truthful and say the food throughout the ship was as good as it was on the maiden voyage with plenty of choice on menus at dinner and served good portions and food was always hot. We did freedom dining and always asked to share a table and varied our meal times from 6-30pm until as late as 8-30pm and was only  once told we needed a pager and there would be a wait of 20 minutes which wasnt a problem this however turned out to be no longer than less than 5 minutes. Staff throughout the ship always happy and polite and as this was the first cruise since dropping of auto gratuities service was excellent with no dropping of standards. The only downside was late arrival of Britannia into Southampton and not leaving the ship until 1115 and the chaotic disembarkation procedures which would put me off ever going on Iona especially trying to find your suitcases in the baggage hall which today caused massive queues and it was a further hour before we left the CPS car park at 1215.

14 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Returned today from our cruise on Britannia. Having done many cruises in the past with P&O  but have not done many in the last five years only 3 on Britannia compared to doing 3 a year since 2000. I have been critical of P&O that is why we have virtually stopped cruising with them and to be honest was not looking forward to our cruise on Britannia. But I have to be truthful and say the food throughout the ship was as good as it was on the maiden voyage with plenty of choice on menus at dinner and served good portions and food was always hot. We did freedom dining and always asked to share a table and varied our meal times from 6-30pm until as late as 8-30pm and was only  once told we needed a pager and there would be a wait of 20 minutes which wasnt a problem this however turned out to be no longer than less than 5 minutes. Staff throughout the ship always happy and polite and as this was the first cruise since dropping of auto gratuities service was excellent with no dropping of standards. The only downside was late arrival of Britannia into Southampton and not leaving the ship until 1115 and the chaotic disembarkation procedures which would put me off ever going on Iona especially trying to find your suitcases in the baggage hall which today caused massive queues and it was a further hour before we left the CPS car park at 1215.

We found Britania OK and the food overall very good.

Why P&O are amongst the worst at getting passengers off the ship, they need to look at how others manage to do it,We are considering taking our own cases off next cruise ,just so we do not get so stressed out trying to get home....Davybe