Davybe

Azura Better than expected.

Arrived back Sunday from a 12 night cruise on Azura,how much better it was than on its Sister ship Ventura.

We booked a cabin on C Deck close to the aft lifts ,and opted for fixed dining which meant we were in the "Oriental" having all meals in the restaurants ,including two in "Epicurean " at a discounted price.

Food overall was better than expected ,the Always on steak was fairly good but there was always a good choice of fish dishes.

Plenty of entertainment the best Being Jon Courtney Comedy Pianist , and one of the best Guest speakers I have seen , "Steven King" a musical historian  who worked in radio for years and filled the theatre for 6 talks about the history and reasons some songs were written.

Plenty of other entertainment venues including films shown in the Malibar and the out door Sea Screen.

Weather was not bad overall ,my wife at one stage this year look like she may have use a wheelchair? but her meds worked ,and though she lacks the stamina she had we had a walk round the places we visited, but mainly we had a good rest .

Why P&O never improve their loading and unloading the ships is beyond me, we had to wait in a place for over 2 hours and they started to get us off over 30mins after the predicted time, we then waited on the coach for another hour as they had forgotten to help get this lady off the ship?

Fellow passengers overall very good had some nice chats over different meals, we did meet "Mr Knowall, got him first time at our first lunch, he never stopped, talking ,his take on the Tips was "well they are stopping them in May so I stopped mine early"?? sadly I got him again one lunch time where he informed us all they took all the Biscuits home for the grand children? and he seemed to think that taking others people stuff if they left it lying around was OK? 

On the other hand we had the pleasure of eating with a 94 year old lady ,she traveled on her own ,and was such a pleasure to talk with and listen to.

We enjoyed it enough to book for next year when the ship goes to Russia and the Baltics,hoping the same Azura turns up that we have just sailed on.....Davby

PS Ended up with a really bad cold and cough the joys of traveling?

Thanks for posting your thoughts and good to hear that you enjoyed yourselves.  Azura is not my cup of tea but many love her and enjoy cruising aboard her.  Nice to see what appears to be a very balanced report.

This may be news to some but in "Brodies" they now do Beer Flights £4-20 you get 3 third of a pint glasses of different beers from which ever area you chooses nice way to try out different beers from around the country.

They Now have a Barbour outlet on the ship, but as always check the prices at home just to make sure your getting a bargain....Davby

On 11 April 2019 at 9:55 AM, Davybe said:

Arrived back Sunday from a 12 night cruise on Azura,how much better it was than on its Sister ship Ventura.

We booked a cabin on C Deck close to the aft lifts ,and opted for fixed dining which meant we were in the "Oriental" having all meals in the restaurants ,including two in "Epicurean " at a discounted price.

Food overall was better than expected ,the Always on steak was fairly good but there was always a good choice of fish dishes.

Plenty of entertainment the best Being Jon Courtney Comedy Pianist , and one of the best Guest speakers I have seen , "Steven King" a musical historian  who worked in radio for years and filled the theatre for 6 talks about the history and reasons some songs were written.

Plenty of other entertainment venues including films shown in the Malibar and the out door Sea Screen.

Weather was not bad overall ,my wife at one stage this year look like she may have use a wheelchair? but her meds worked ,and though she lacks the stamina she had we had a walk round the places we visited, but mainly we had a good rest .

Why P&O never improve their loading and unloading the ships is beyond me, we had to wait in a place for over 2 hours and they started to get us off over 30mins after the predicted time, we then waited on the coach for another hour as they had forgotten to help get this lady off the ship?

Fellow passengers overall very good had some nice chats over different meals, we did meet "Mr Knowall, got him first time at our first lunch, he never stopped, talking ,his take on the Tips was "well they are stopping them in May so I stopped mine early"?? sadly I got him again one lunch time where he informed us all they took all the Biscuits home for the grand children? and he seemed to think that taking others people stuff if they left it lying around was OK? 

On the other hand we had the pleasure of eating with a 94 year old lady ,she traveled on her own ,and was such a pleasure to talk with and listen to.

We enjoyed it enough to book for next year when the ship goes to Russia and the Baltics,hoping the same Azura turns up that we have just sailed on.....Davby

PS Ended up with a really bad cold and cough the joys of traveling?

Thanks Davyb for your thoughts on Azura, I'm due to sail on her for the first time next year to the Med. 

Disembarkation from Britannia a the weekend was very efficient, we thought there may have been a problem on Azura as we had to wait 50 minutes on our coach for some of her passengers to join us. 

Hope the same Azura turns up for us both next year. 

Came back from a Caribbean trans-atlantic in March on Azura and can honestly say it was the best holiday I have had in a long time. 

Staff were very happy and attentive,

Food was lovely (the meal we had in sindhu could possibly be one of the best meals we have ever eaten)

There were a few tired looking areas on the ship (jacuzzis looked worn and some carpets needed replacing) but nothing that detracted from the overall experience.

Fellow passengers were exceptionally friendly (could have been the weather) but everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves. On previous cruises on Azura there have been a few rogues that have been shouting and yelling at crew for no reason but seemed to be very little of that this time (apart from the one guy that went mad in the buffet one morning because his eggs weren't cooked fast enough... again, the staff handled this very well and we made a point of passing on our thanks to the resturant manager as we left).

We were very lucky and were in the first group to be let off the ship in Southampton at 8am so cant comment on the disembarkation this time around. In the past however, it has been a case of waiting around for an hour or so after our alloted time.

Off on Ventura next (not sailed on her before) so will be interesting to compare the two.

23 hours ago, Pies2017 said:

Came back from a Caribbean trans-atlantic in March on Azura and can honestly say it was the best holiday I have had in a long time. 

Staff were very happy and attentive,

Food was lovely (the meal we had in sindhu could possibly be one of the best meals we have ever eaten)

There were a few tired looking areas on the ship (jacuzzis looked worn and some carpets needed replacing) but nothing that detracted from the overall experience.

Fellow passengers were exceptionally friendly (could have been the weather) but everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves. On previous cruises on Azura there have been a few rogues that have been shouting and yelling at crew for no reason but seemed to be very little of that this time (apart from the one guy that went mad in the buffet one morning because his eggs weren't cooked fast enough... again, the staff handled this very well and we made a point of passing on our thanks to the resturant manager as we left).

We were very lucky and were in the first group to be let off the ship in Southampton at 8am so cant comment on the disembarkation this time around. In the past however, it has been a case of waiting around for an hour or so after our alloted time.

Off on Ventura next (not sailed on her before) so will be interesting to compare the two.

Welcome to the forum Pies? 😁

Our Coach driver pointed out that Azura was general liked, but Ventura was like Marmite ,some loved it ,others hated it.And having sailed on both I much prefer Azura....Davybe

41 minutes ago, Davybe said:

Welcome to the forum Pies? 😁

Our Coach driver pointed out that Azura was general liked, but Ventura was like Marmite ,some loved it ,others hated it.And having sailed on both I much prefer Azura....Davybe

Thanks 🙂

looking forward to Ventura but Azura will always be special to us (we got married on her a few years back)

Edited by Pies2017

Have not done either Ventura or Azura yet. Most of our cruises on Arcadia and we like here. We are booked on Ventura next February for 35 nights so will have something to compare after that.  Have to add it is the destination we book not because of the ship. BUT will I say that after the cruise who knows.

I'm due to sail on Azura for the first time after her refurb in April, taking in four ports I haven't visited before. 

Sailing from Southampton means repeating many ports, so I tend to choose my cruises by itinerary and not by ship or cruise line. I always try to travel with an open mind and as  'Davybe' mentioned 'Marmite' .... it wouldn't do for us all to like the same cruises and ships.

My experience sailing on Ventura three years ago to the Greek Isles, was a relaxed happy ship with pleasant staff and good entertainment. Hope you have the same experience 'Countrygirl' - I have yet to try Arcadia. 

I was coming on here to ask about the Azura and saw this topic!

It is our first cruise ever in May, to the Fjords. Have been so looking forward to it but then have been reading mixed reviews on Google.............some loved it and others hated it. Some loved food and others didn't; likewise with entertainment and staff - even the towels were called old and dry. Needs a refurb NOW to being the perfect ship.Having saved up all year for this, I came on here to find out more opinions - and they are also mixed!!

I have to admit that it has taken the shine off the whole thing for us. Can anyone reassure me?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, LesleyB said:

I was coming on here to ask about the Azura and saw this topic!

It is our first cruise ever in May, to the Fjords. Have been so looking forward to it but then have been reading mixed reviews on Google.............some loved it and others hated it. Some loved food and others didn't; likewise with entertainment and staff - even the towels were called old and dry. Needs a refurb NOW to being the perfect ship.Having saved up all year for this, I came on here to find out more opinions - and they are also mixed!!

I have to admit that it has taken the shine off the whole thing for us. Can anyone reassure me?

Thanks.

Hello,

We went on the Azura in March for two weeks, absolutely loved it. 

We were in desperate need of a holiday and for us, it was brilliant. 

There were some tired looking areas but nothing bad and to be honest, if you go looking for the bad stuff, I'm sure there would be more 🙂 we had a lovely time and were there for a much needed break. 

I think that due to needing a break so badly we were just happy to be there and this helped our enjoyment of everything if that makes sense? 🙂

one of the main things we noticed was how friendly the staff were, this could have been because we always smiled and were friendly to them so we were treated the same way in return.

We had a lovely time, I'm sure you will too 🙂

there probably were lots of little things we could have found if we went looking but we didn't want to and didn't need to, the food was lovely, the staff were amazing and the ship was great.

Again, this is all very subjective though, we needed a getaway and had been looking forward to it for 12 months!! .. it met all of our expectations and then some 🙂

hope you have a lovely time

Thank you Pies - I had seen your post above which had already given me hope!!

Like you, this is our first break in a year and much needed. Realistically, it is a floating hotel and with a multitude of guests with access all over, not just their bit of corridor and dining area - it is bound to get worn more than a normal hotel, so that is not the end of the world.  We are also naturally friendly and smiley people (!) and will be more excited and grateful for a rest rather than looking for faults. As long as it is clean and convivial and the food is good - I think we will have a great time 🙂

I will report back afterwards!!!

We didn't like Azura at all - but I think she was the wrong ship for the ports we visited - we went to the Norwegian Fjords in May (sorry LesleyB).   The seascreen is a bit of a waste of time when it is raining, so much preferred Ventura's covered pool.    Then again, it's been over 4 years since we last cruised with P&O so lots of things may have changed by now.

Thank you! I didn't know what a seascreen was - thinking it was a cover over when raining!! We are not pool people although would be nice to watch a movie one or two evenings - is that the same screen?

Also what was the reason you thought it was the wrong ship for the ports? The size?

Many thanks.

2 hours ago, LesleyB said:

Thank you! I didn't know what a seascreen was - thinking it was a cover over when raining!! We are not pool people although would be nice to watch a movie one or two evenings - is that the same screen?

Also what was the reason you thought it was the wrong ship for the ports? The size?

Many thanks.

image.png.598d5fd3deee0f7a9b84328dab8c16dc.png

A Stock picture from the net?

We did try it in the Caribbean ,bit loud for us but people seemed to like it...Davybe

3 hours ago, LesleyB said:

Thanks - think I can take it or leave it. Off on cruise very shortly and can't wait!!

Your first cruise will be extra special, the one you’ll remember with much affection. 

Go and enjoy yourselves, not having anything to compare with means you’ll be able to form your own opinion. 

Look forward to reading your positive or negative feedback when you return.

Just a word of caution .... cruising is addictive 😂😂

Home!! Happy to report that the Azura was in fine fettle and the crew were all brilliant. Have booked again for Iceland 8/20 so will be looking for advice on best excursions to see most interesting areas and sights.

Only a couple of niggles, wifi was dire but better out of the cabin. One tour guide ruined the trip by wittering endlessly about boring rubbish.

Off on Aurora next time. Thanks to all for your encouragement and thoughts x