Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Trying it on??

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1126780/cruise-ship-doctor-claustrophobic-cruises-cabin-bedroom-upgrade-holidays

Have you ever tried to get an upgrade?

Heard of people trying to upgrade for free over the years but never tried for one myself.

Funniest I heard of was a man Demanding a cabin change as his Balcony was overlooked, he was told the ship was full ,but insisted they find him  another cabin, even after being told that they could not throw people out of a cabin just for him.

When the checked he had picked the cabin ,not been allocated it by P&O....Davybe

One of the reasons P&O stopped 'cabin shares' was because many single passengers would book them to save money ( understandable )  but then complain they couldn't share for various reasons from snoring to hygiene issues and would demand to be moved.  

Many years ago we shared a dining table with a delightful 'threesome' ( husband/wife and sister ) all were well into their seventies at the time, unfortunately the travel agent hadn't done their research very well as they were sharing a cabin and no-one thought to tell them it consisted of 'bunk beds' we were horrified when they told us they were taking the mattress off the top bunk and placing it between the two lower berths at night, I assume they replaced it each morning otherwise the cabin steward would probably have spoken to someone about it, after checking with them that they would be comfortable if one of them moved to another cabin I spoke to the purser on their behalf and within the hour they had a second cabin FOC, needless to say they were very grateful for the intervention as they would never have dreamt of demanding an upgrade nor expected one, genuine people who had they not mentioned it in passing would have just made the best of a bad job. 

Had quite a few upgrades over the years but then 9 times out of 10 we do go on the upgrade list but only when we have a good idea what we might be upgraded to, we wouldn't do it for all cabin grades.

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

21 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

One of the reasons P&O stopped 'cabin shares' was because many single passengers would book them to save money ( understandable )  but then complain they couldn't share for various reasons from snoring to hygiene issues and would demand to be moved.  

Many years ago we shared a dining table with a delightful 'threesome' ( husband/wife and sister ) all were well into their seventies at the time, unfortunately the travel agent hadn't done their research very well as they were sharing a cabin and no-one thought to tell them it consisted of 'bunk beds' we were horrified when they told us they were taking the mattress off the top bunk and placing it between the two lower berths at night, I assume they replaced it each morning otherwise the cabin steward would probably have spoken to someone about it, after checking with them that they would be comfortable if one of them moved to another cabin I spoke to the purser on their behalf and within the hour they had a second cabin FOC, needless to say they were very grateful for the intervention as they would never have dreamt of demanding an upgrade nor expected one, genuine people who had they not mentioned it in passing would have just made the best of a bad job. 

Had quite a few upgrades over the years but then 9 times out of 10 we do go on the upgrade list but only when we have a good idea what we might be upgraded to, we wouldn't do it for all cabin grades.

We do not tick the upgrade option with P&O a bit to risky ? Never been offered one on any cruise line 😪But have had better than basic when we have booked on a Guaranteed cabin basis.

I was told that one cruiser regularly booked a cheapest inside he could the demand an upgrade, if he did not get it he would Camp out overnight on a chair or sofa near reception , his plan worked a couple of times but he eventually got told "If you still sleeping here when we get into port we will put you off the ship" .When we sailed from Miami we often heard the Americans trying for free upgrades ,one friend often asks to pay for an upgrade then negotiates a price....Davybe

We did the repositioning cruise on Azura in March. As outside cabins were full we selected partly obscured with double bed and were ok with this. It was an early celebration of our 60th Wedding Anniversary. We were offered upgrade the day before sailing but found it was outside with narrow fixed twin beds. Reception not interested - said if we accepted upgrade we had to take what we were given.  She said all cabins were same size but this one was so small we had to move coffee table to get to area with tea-tray and getting into bed we were constantly banging our heads and elbows on wall. (We are not obese - my husband has 32” waist).  Deck manager said he could put beds together by moving the bedside drawers but there would be no bedside lamps  and clock, specs, glass of water etc would have to go on floor, and I don’t know where he intended to put the only drawer unit. Our plea that this was for anniversary was met with bemused smiles.   P&Os reply to our complaint was that by taking “upgrade!!!” we reverted to “guaranteed” basis, even though we paid Select price, and changing the bed-specification was not a “material change” to our original booking.   So if you agree to upgrade, note that P&O don’t abide by the Oxford English Dictionary that upgrade is an improvement on the original specification.  It means take what you’re given and shut up. 

Definition of an "upgrade" is quite rightly in P&O's eyes is that the upgraded cabin given is of higher grade and would have cost more than the grade of cabin you would have booked. Unfortunately people dream of been upgraded to balconies or better when in reality this is very rarely the case. We always ask not to be upgraded.

This always makes me laugh when I have listened to people on ship, when they were in an obstructed view cabin and upgraded to a clear view and they were moaning it was a downgrade because it was lower down in the ship? What part of unobstructed to clear isnt better?

Its just down to the NAoC'S on ship (for those who dont know what this means 'National AssocIation of Complainers' who have nothing better than moan, they are supposed to be on holiday enjoying themselves). 

I did not complain  because we were on a lower deck. I complained that the DOUBLE bed we had specified was ignored and I was told that despite booking on “select” basis,  once passengers agree to accept upgrade they are treated as”Guaranteed” basis. Would a woman accompanying her elderly father  or a middle-aged brother and sister travelling together be expected to accept “fixed double” when they had stipulated singles. I don’t think so.  Before you join the “National Association of Belittlers” take the trouble to read what had been written. 

15 hours ago, Dozydo said:

I did not complain  because we were on a lower deck. I complained that the DOUBLE bed we had specified was ignored and I was told that despite booking on “select” basis,  once passengers agree to accept upgrade they are treated as”Guaranteed” basis. Would a woman accompanying her elderly father  or a middle-aged brother and sister travelling together be expected to accept “fixed double” when they had stipulated singles. I don’t think so.  Before you join the “National Association of Belittlers” take the trouble to read what had been written. 

We have on occasion had the wrong bed lay out, never been a problem the room steward to care of it when doing turn down on the first night....Davybe

Which bit of "fixed double" is not understood. Of course you would have the cabin steward change the bed configuration if it were possible, but that isn't always the case. I have come across "fixed singles" when the cabin is slightly narrower than normal and there isn't enough room for two sets of bedside units and a "fixed double" where a different configuration of a narrower cabin had bedside units fitted to the walls, also Royal Caribbean have those rounded end doubles which are not movable to singles. It isn't always possible to get "the room steward to care of it".

RayO

Edited by RayO

It isnt just a problem with regards to wrong bed layout this is usually very easily fixed by the cabin stewards but there are some cabins on some of the ships that are fixed double or twin and cannot physically be changed by anyone.

4 hours ago, RayO said:

Which bit of "fixed double" is not understood. Of course you would have the cabin steward change the bed configuration if it were possible, but that isn't always the case. I have come across "fixed singles" when the cabin is slightly narrower than normal and there isn't enough room for two sets of bedside units and a "fixed double" where a different configuration of a narrower cabin had bedside units fitted to the walls, also Royal Caribbean have those rounded end doubles which are not movable to singles. It isn't always possible to get "the room steward to care of it".

RayO

Fixed doubles was only mentioned in the second post. According Dozydo the beds could have been moved .and we have had singles on RCI and Celebrity which also have rounded ends? ..Davybe