Sign in to follow this  
Nimrod

Cunard Christmas Canaries Cruise

Seasoned cruiser but doing a Christmas cruise for the first time. We are booked on Cunards QV for the Canaries Christmas and New Year Celebrations 23 December - 6 January but can't find much info on what happens on the ship re Christmas that makes it a bit different and "Christmassy"?  Understand the fireworks in Maderia on New Years Eve are pretty impressive so that will help to celebrate my 70th birthday which is on the 2nd January but am hoping that Christmas Day & Boxing Day  won't be a damp squib!!?? Anyone out there  done  this cruise in previous years and can confirm that there will be a bit of "Christmas Magic" and not "Bar Humbug" Thanks.

We did a Christmas cruise on Ventura,and the highlight was Madeira get of the ship and see the way they decorated the town to celebrate Christmas,Christmas day was a sea day ,whilst the ship is decorated as yours will be ,we did not enjoy it.mainly there was a lot of sickness , Flue and NV which curtailed things .

Dancing Queen is the one who would tell you what to expect on Cunard....Davybe

An excellent choice Nimrod and I'm sure you will love QV .

We have celebrated Christmas on a ship for the last 30 years and I don't think it is as 'Christmassy' as it once was but don't be put off by that as it is only my opinion and probably due to the fact we don't join in a lot of the events as we once did, we tend to host a cabin party these days and share the day with friends we have met over the years - it works for us our own little family away from home !! 

The atmosphere will be there from the minute you step onto the ship, it will be beautifully decorated and of course Christmas music will be playing which all adds to the excitement of what is around the corner, as Davybe says Christmas day will be a sea day there will be various activities happening around the ship so really it's down to you and what might be of interest to you, one thing I particularly enjoy is going to the Queens Room to see Santa arrive on Xmas morning, even though we don't have children I do like to see the excitement on the children's faces in anticipation of the present they are about to receive oh and you won't be forgotten either Santa will pay you a visit too, another event which always used to happen but hasn't for the last couple of years ( although that might be down to whichever cruise director is doing the organising )  is an afternoon pantomime, now I'm not particularly a pantomime person but Xmas isn't Xmas without one is it !! the ships choir will also entertain you in the evening assuming you are in the Britannia restaurant ( they don't do it in the other restaurants ) 

Christmas dinner is served in the evening - do keep an eye on the times in the daily newspaper as they tend to alter slightly for Christmas day to allow for a more relaxed experience for both passengers and crew, you will find the crew love to take part in the celebrations and many of them will be wearing their Xmas hats so do think about taking a couple of your own as they seem to really appreciate passengers making the effort too plus the paper hats you get in the crackers are a bit 'naff' anyway, another nice tradition albeit an American one is the crew go around the ship on Xmas morning giving out small glasses of Eggnog - a bit like Marmite you either love it or loathe it.

I always take Christmas decorations to decorate the cabin but that is personal choice some do, some don't, you might like to take a few Xmas cards too from home to give your cabin a more homely feel plus a few blank ones because table mates tend to give them also.  

There won't be much else happening after Xmas day but then it will be pretty port intensive so that is to be expected, New Years Eve is always a grand affair and of course the bonus is being in Madeira for the fireworks which are spectacular I think you will be suitably impressed. 

Please ask away if there is anything specific you want to know and I will do my best to answer you, we too hope to be on this cruise but at the moment my husband is awaiting some test results so we are unable to commit ourselves until we know the outcome. 

Wishing you a very Happy 70th Birthday in advance and the icing on the cake is that you will be enjoying it on the very beautiful Queen Victoria. 

Thank you so much Dancing Queen for the very detailed information, that was just what I needed and has put my mind at rest considerably.  I love Christmas and usually I am the one organising Christmas with my family & grandchildren but since September last year my health has taken quite a battering and last Christmas was rather a "non event" despite everyone's best efforts so in view of this my husband booked this cruise for me.  We did 70 days of the World Cruise and a Baltic Cruise on QV so know and love the ship ( in fact we have booked the same cabin as we had for the world cruise)  and as we are doing a short cruise in August with all our family & the grandchildren to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary we won't feel too guilty being away from them at Christmas.  Having had tests & consultations myself nearly every week since September 2018  I do hope your husband gets positive results and you will be able to join the cruise this year- maybe we can say Thankyou, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in person?  I must confess it is the thought of the next cruise and the photo's and memories of those I have already done that have got me through some very difficult times over the last year so I will now go out and purchase a new "tasteless" Christmas jumper & hat for my husband and an equally "tasteless" Christmas Tiara & earrings for myself  and look forward to my Christmas cruise!!! Much appreciated.