Sign in to follow this  
The Harpers

Havana US ban

Folks, just reading the USA are stopping the easing of their restrictions on us travellers to Cuba. It's a place I'd love to go, will it affect British ships do you think?

I don't think P&O call at Cuba at all, but I seem to think that Marella do and maybe also Fred Olsen.   Since P&O is Carnival owned I suspect the embargo might cover them, but I imagine the other 2 will likely continue, although RCI do have a stake in Marella.

Edited by towny44

One of my favourite cruises was some years back around Cuba. It was a Louis crystal (then) cruise chartering a Greek islands ship and packed with Canadian food for guests. We cruised around the island stopping at the main places making one stop at Montego Bay (unfortunately) to let Americans on who were beating the blockade by getting on / off there. They were Ok as long as they were not found with Cuban goods on them when going home but only a handful risked it. We went as we were then worried about the relaxing of US access and fears it would change Cuba. No problems even then with insurance / access but ours was the only cruise doing such a tour after the failure of various Russian ventures to do the same.

Hi, thanks for that info. Our concern is also how long we leave it and risk it changing if there is an easing of us access and trade. It is looking like it will have to be the Fred Olsen world cruise for the no flying option so got to wait a few years until kids can be left alone that long, currently 18, 15 and 15.

Good old Donald strikes again. Just as all tourists look forward to finally seeing Cuba he pulls the rug from under them forcing all the cruise lines to dramatically change their cruises, such a shame as I'm sure the poorer people in Cuba would have welcomed the influx of cash from cruise guests.

Will it be Mexico next?

Such a shame for the Cuban people and for the thousands of US citizens who were looking forward to visiting this fascinating place.  We can now maybe count ourselves fortunate to have visited when we did in early 2018, courtesy of Marella.  I guess Azamara's Cuba Intensive itineraries will now be swiftly dropped.

DavidH

4 hours ago, DavidH said:

Such a shame for the Cuban people and for the thousands of US citizens who were looking forward to visiting this fascinating place.  We can now maybe count ourselves fortunate to have visited when we did in early 2018, courtesy of Marella.  I guess Azamara's Cuba Intensive itineraries will now be swiftly dropped.

DavidH

Presumably they will if the cruises start from or visit a US port, I wonder if any US cruise line is considering still offering Cuba fly cruises but not using any US ports?

Hi towny44,

Having just checked on the Azamara Club Cruises website, it is very clear that Cuba no longer features in their Destinations list.

DavidH